The Student Room Group

I dont have the money to re do my gcses

hello im 18, will be 19 by the time that college starts, i want to go to college to resit my gcses but my mum is saying if i leave my job so i can study full time we wont have enough money to feed the house and its really upsetting because
1. i want to better myself
2. i hate my job
3.i want to go to uni
and 4. when i mentioned to my mu that i wanted to go to uni she basically said i am too stupid and that i shouldnt bother and just stay in the job ive got.

also if i did end up going back to do my gcses and i had a lot of spare time i would ask for my job back at my current employers because they always have jobs going and they already have me trained and what not so i could work part time no problem.

i really want to go to college and try but im re thinking now my mum has said i dont have it in me and if were not going to have enough money then i wont be able to go to college anyway
Original post by SophiaW
hello im 18, will be 19 by the time that college starts, i want to go to college to resit my gcses but my mum is saying if i leave my job so i can study full time we wont have enough money to feed the house and its really upsetting because
1. i want to better myself
2. i hate my job
3.i want to go to uni
and 4. when i mentioned to my mu that i wanted to go to uni she basically said i am too stupid and that i shouldnt bother and just stay in the job ive got.

also if i did end up going back to do my gcses and i had a lot of spare time i would ask for my job back at my current employers because they always have jobs going and they already have me trained and what not so i could work part time no problem.

i really want to go to college and try but im re thinking now my mum has said i dont have it in me and if were not going to have enough money then i wont be able to go to college anyway

You dont necessarily have to leave employment, some colleges will offer gcses as part of evening classes or you could self study. Look into what funding is available in your local area. To be honest your mum sounds selfish and is only worried about household income not your future.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You dont necessarily have to leave employment, some colleges will offer gcses as part of evening classes or you could self study. Look into what funding is available in your local area. To be honest your mum sounds selfish and is only worried about household income not your future.

The only funding I have found is £1,500 for the year :frown:
Original post by SophiaW
The only funding I have found is £1,500 for the year :frown:

Could you keep your job part time maybe? I think your best bet is to speak to a local college explain your circumstances and see what you can do.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Could you keep your job part time maybe? I think your best bet is to speak to a local college explain your circumstances and see what you can do.

I have an interview thing next month so I will speak to them then about in and my options thank you
Original post by SophiaW
I have an interview thing next month so I will speak to them then about in and my options thank you

Glad to help, hope it goes well for you :smile:
I think the maths and English are free at night school in most colleges - have you got maths and English at grade C at the moment? as most unis require 5 gcse grades at C or above including maths and English - do you know what you want to do at uni? have you / do you need A levels to get on to the course or can you do an access course at night school or via distance learning on-line which will allow you to start at uni on a foundation year - this is where you need to start.
As far as your mum goes the way round it is to remember that if you do go to uni your student finance has to last you ALL year - not just the 8/9 months you are at uni - so when you are back home during the summer holidays you will have to pay your mum some rent money to contribute towards the running of the home - do your research into which universities offers bursaries to students who come from a low income household - for example Northumbria university in Newcastle give £3000 a year every year if your mum is earning under £15000 a year - how much rent do you pay your mum? even if you gave your mum that £3000 bursary money to cover the rent you would normally pay her you could still manage on your student finance of £8200 if you choose accommodation wisely and budget well - en-suite accommodation at Northumbria £5000,cheaper rooms from £3800 - just an example (as my son is at Northumbria)

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Minionmum
I think the maths and English are free at night school in most colleges - have you got maths and English at grade C at the moment? as most unis require 5 gcse grades at C or above including maths and English - do you know what you want to do at uni? have you / do you need A levels to get on to the course or can you do an access course at night school or via distance learning on-line which will allow you to start at uni on a foundation year - this is where you need to start.
As far as your mum goes the way round it is to remember that if you do go to uni your student finance has to last you ALL year - not just the 8/9 months you are at uni - so when you are back home during the summer holidays you will have to pay your mum some rent money to contribute towards the running of the home - do your research into which universities offers bursaries to students who come from a low income household - for example Northumbria university in Newcastle give £3000 a year every year if your mum is earning under £15000 a year - how much rent do you pay your mum? even if you gave your mum that £3000 bursary money to cover the rent you would normally pay her you could still manage on your student finance of £8200 if you choose accommodation wisely and budget well - en-suite accommodation at Northumbria £5000,cheaper rooms from £3800 - just an example (as my son is at Northumbria)

Good luck!

I want to do veterinary medicine and I have c's at GCSEs but I need a's and b's at gcse I can do a BTEC in animal management but I still need a levels to compliment it, I may my mum about £150 every 4 weeks which isn't too much but I still need to buy food and school supplies and fuel for my car, I'm looking at either going to Surrey, Liverpool, Nottingham, and Edinburgh at the moment, but I still have 3 years of GCSEs to do, maybe I could take level 3 animal management do English and maths GCSEs of a night and then do an access course or something xx
You really need to discuss all this with the careers advisor at college - a level 3 BTEC in Animal Care is equivalent to 3 A levels and from here you could go on to uni and study veterinary medicine / nursing (so the info on my child's college website says ) - if you are going back into full time education it could be that your mum will be entitled to child benefit again (approx £83 a month) - as this is usually payable until the September before your 20th birthday - again - if you only work at weekends and your mum is on a low income she might possibly qualify for working tax credits and I also think that she might get child tax credit for you of about £66 a week until your 20th birthday - find out all the info you can - then go to your mum armed with all the info written down - you can always check out the turn to us benefits calculator (if you know what your mum earns a month ) and from there you could see what she might be entitled to if you put yourself down as a full time student in further education - if they give a telephone number and you could speak to some one that would be much easier and quicker for you -
Again - if you come from a low income family most colleges have a support fund - my children got free coach travel to and from college (which costs £750 ) so even if you could get something like that it would save you petrol money (that's if college is too far to walk) - ask about this at interview - explain that your mother doesn't want you to go to college / uni for financial reasons - there is usually a way round most things if you really want them enough - could be that the help is out there and you just need to find it - can't think of anything else that might help.
Reply 9
You really need to discuss all this with the careers advisor at college - a level 3 BTEC in Animal Care is equivalent to 3 A levels and from here you could go on to uni and study veterinary medicine / nursing (so the info on my child's college website says ) - if you are going back into full time education it could be that your mum will be entitled to child benefit again (approx £83 a month) - as this is usually payable until the September before your 20th birthday - again - if you only work at weekends and your mum is on a low income she might possibly qualify for working tax credits and I also think that she might get child tax credit for you of about £66 a week until your 20th birthday - find out all the info you can - then go to your mum armed with all the info written down - you can always check out the turn to us benefits calculator (if you know what your mum earns a month ) and from there you could see what she might be entitled to if you put yourself down as a full time student in further education - if they give a telephone number and you could speak to some one that would be much easier and quicker for you -
Again - if you come from a low income family most colleges have a support fund - my children got free coach travel to and from college (which costs £750 ) so even if you could get something like that it would save you petrol money (that's if college is too far to walk) - ask about this at interview - explain that your mother doesn't want you to go to college / uni for financial reasons - there is usually a way round most things if you really want them enough - could be that the help is out there and you just need to find it - can't think of anything else that might help.

Hello thank you so much for all this information, I'll be asking a lot of questions about finances and funding at the interview, my mum isn't working at the moment as she is disabled but she only gets the lower rate and incapacity benefit I believe, which doesn't amount to a lot, I'll try my best but it's the only thing holding me back X :frown:
Your mum might be worried about being hit by the bedroom tax (here I am assuming that you rent your property ) if you go on to uni this will not apply - as it is deemed that the bedroom is needed when you return during the holidays - so her housing benefit should not get docked by 14% - if you go back to college your mum would get a discount for you on your council tax (if housing benefit already covers the council tax then it is more than likely that it would carry on if you went back to college ) - sorry that things are so tough for you - I hope it all works out - remember when applying to uni to really research those web pages,as there are often scholarships that can be applied for that loads of student miss because you have to apply really early (some as early as Jan /Feb even though you wont be starting until September)
Reply 11
Your mum might be worried about being hit by the bedroom tax (here I am assuming that you rent your property ) if you go on to uni this will not apply - as it is deemed that the bedroom is needed when you return during the holidays - so her housing benefit should not get docked by 14% - if you go back to college your mum would get a discount for you on your council tax (if housing benefit already covers the council tax then it is more than likely that it would carry on if you went back to college ) - sorry that things are so tough for you - I hope it all works out - remember when applying to uni to really research those web pages,as there are often scholarships that can be applied for that loads of student miss because you have to apply really early (some as early as Jan /Feb even though you wont be starting until September)

She owns the house but I pay her some money towards bills as she doesn't really get enough to pay bills and eat so I think that's why I need to keep working because we would have to choose food or bills :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest