The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Hi- I'm an American currently looking to study history at the University of St Andrews for my undergraduate degree. I was wondering, is St Andrews "good" (for lack of a better word) enough to be looked well upon by Oxford and Cambridge in their graduate student selection process?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Memequeen
Hi- I'm an American currently looking to study history at the University of St Andrews for my undergraduate degree. I was wondering, is St Andrews "good" (for lack of a better word) enough to be looked well upon by Oxford and Cambridge in their graduate student selection process?

Certainly- in fact, the prestige of the undergrad uni isn't really a prominent factor when it comes to grad admissions at Oxbridge. There are other reasons why most grads at Oxbridge tend to have come from decent undergrad institutions.
Why is it called oxbridge and not camford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For PHD consideration at Oxbridge, how relevant will satisfactory/lower undergraduate grades reflect for admission when also achieving first class masters at a top university?
Original post by ravemaedchen
For PHD consideration at Oxbridge, how relevant will satisfactory/lower undergraduate grades reflect for admission when also achieving first class masters at a top university?

Not very relevant
what is needed to get into a masters at oxbridge? would 2.1 suffice? do they look at your uni?
Original post by studos
what is needed to get into a masters at oxbridge? would 2.1 suffice? do they look at your uni?

Look at post #2015. A 2:1 is usually going to be a disadvantage when you're going against hundreds of the most talented applicants including people from Oxbridge themselves. Try and get a first class honours degree.
Reply 2107
Original post by studos

I guess it depends on the subject competitiveness and the individual. I have a high 2:1 (67%) and I applied straight for a PhD in cancer genetics and epidemiology, without a masters, and after interview was told I was the second best candidate, they were very keen to make sure I applied for the MPhil in the same department, which so far I've had positive news. That said, my grades in my most relevant modules were all high (70-85%) and my dissertation was much more advanced than most undergraduate research projects, and highly relevant to the field, which also achieved a first class grade. On top of that I had very good references and a good covering letter. The point I am trying to make is that you shouldn't be put off applying if you don't have a first class degree overall, grades aren't the only thing that is considered, although they definitely help.

Edit:
This is at Cambridge. Although my uni professor told me I would have a good chance at either Oxbridge institution.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2108
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering about the emphasis on academic CVs?

I have a First class honours degree with a 73% dissertation, joint honours English Lit and History, from a prestigious university, and was told I would be a strong candidate for Oxbridge by my professors, however I've received no offers this year. I'm gearing up for next year and the only significant weakness I've identified is that I don't have any awards at undergrad level.

Obviously I'm going to rework my personal statement (applying for an MPhil in English Lit), but I'm just wondering am I doomed before I start because I don't have any medals, scholarships etc from my undergrad days? My CV isn't bad otherwise - volunteering, extra curriculars, year abroad etc.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by caien
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering about the emphasis on academic CVs?

I have a First class honours degree with a 73% dissertation, joint honours English Lit and History, from a prestigious university, and was told I would be a strong candidate for Oxbridge by my professors, however I've received no offers this year. I'm gearing up for next year and the only significant weakness I've identified is that I don't have any awards at undergrad level.

Obviously I'm going to rework my personal statement (applying for an MPhil in English Lit), but I'm just wondering am I doomed before I start because I don't have any medals, scholarships etc from my undergrad days? My CV isn't bad otherwise - volunteering, extra curriculars, year abroad etc.

Thanks in advance!

I will say from my experience, and as far as I know, that they don't tend to care about extra curriculars unless they're directly related to your subject (e.g. if your year abroad in some way contributed to your research or work in English Lit then that's definitely a plus!) Otherwise you're right that PS is very important too.

If it's any comfort, I know some pretty amazing people who have been rejected from graduate programmes at Oxford (both in the sciences and humanities). The sheer competitiveness means that even if you have a strong academic track record- which you clearly do- there's always an element of randomness in an application to one of the grad programmes. One thing I think can be especially tricky is if they don't interview for your course (and as far as I'm aware they don't for the English Lit MPhil, is that correct?) because that's one less opportunity to stand out from the crowd. I'm similar to you in that I didn't have any undergrad awards, but my interview performance was able to mitigate that a bit I think.

Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful! If you want to apply again, then certainly go ahead and give it your best shot- it's not that having no undergrad awards means certain rejection at all. But at the same time there is a chance that it might not work out again, and I wouldn't blame yourself for that per se, but rather just the fact that the applicant pool is so strong for these programmes.
Original post by FCB
I guess it depends on the subject competitiveness and the individual. I have a high 2:1 (67%) and I applied straight for a PhD in cancer genetics and epidemiology, without a masters, and after interview was told I was the second best candidate, they were very keen to make sure I applied for the MPhil in the same department, which so far I've had positive news. That said, my grades in my most relevant modules were all high (70-85%) and my dissertation was much more advanced than most undergraduate research projects, and highly relevant to the field, which also achieved a first class grade. On top of that I had very good references and a good covering letter. The point I am trying to make is that you shouldn't be put off applying if you don't have a first class degree overall, grades aren't the only thing that is considered, although they definitely help.

Edit:
This is at Cambridge. Although my uni professor told me I would have a good chance at either Oxbridge institution.

Where you got your bachelor from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2111
Original post by studos
Where you got your bachelor from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queen Mary University of London.
Hello all,

I am thinking of applying, when the window opens, to study a MSC in financial economics at Oxbridge. My scores in the GMAT are in line with what they expect, and I am confident with my personal statement + references + CV (Internships, biz, tennis captain etc), but do you think my 1st/2nd year degree scores will let me down?

Graduated from York with a 1st (75% average) final year 82% and I got 80% in my year abroad, but got 67% in 1st year and 62% in 2nd year.

Thanks!
Hi all,

I'm interested in applying for a doctorate program at Oxford and Cambridge in Politics and wanted some advice on my odds of getting in.

I completed my BA from a top 20 university though I suffered my first three years (2.7 GPA) before getting a 3.5 (80%) in my fourth year.

I gained a bit of international work experience and then got an MA from Durham with a 2.1 (67% average; I also got a 67% on my MA dissertation).

I gained more international work experience and now work at the most prominent think tank in my country. I have a number of peer reviewed publications including a collaborative piece with one of the leading economists in the country. My boss also holds a doctorate from Oxford and could be a reference.

On a percentage basis, what are my odds (roughly) of being accepted? On the one hand, my grades aren't great. On the other, I have significant research experience in politics and good references.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bbmm1987

There's no way to give a percentage. Your profile is what it is, relatively poor academics and relatively good experience, so you will fit into the applicant cohort in that position, weaker than those that are strong in both, stronger than those that are weak in both. You might get an offer, you might not, depending on how the specific detail of your application stacks up against the other applicants (and Oxford and Cambridge Politics are quite different).

Your research proposal, it's quality and the ability to offer a suitable Supervisor will also be key to getting an offer.

The thing you don't mention is funding, because an offer not the hardest part. If you can pay for yourself, and you get an offer, you will 'get in'. But getting external funding is likely to be hard.
Hey guys
I have an offer of admission from Cambridge for Advanced Diploma in Economics. I wanted to know whether getting a minimum of 65% marks in the Diploma is the only condition required to be fulfilled for getting Mphil Economics. Or will I have to go through the entire competitive admissions procedure again ?
Please help in this regard.
Reply 2116
Hi there,

I'm studying Chemical Engineering at a decent university and have achieved a first in my first two years (74% in my first year and 72% in my second year). I plan on applying to the Mphil for Chemical Engineering at Cambridge. I feel that my grades would put me in the middle of the pack so is there anything else I could do to stand out and improve my chances for the 2017 entry?

Thanks guys!
I'm in my first year at Bristol studying History. I got 2 A*s and an A at A Level and a First in my first year. I want to study a one year masters at either Cambridge, Oxford, LSE or UCL in some sort of History or something more business focused like Management after my degree - what are my chances? Thanks
Original post by danieljlee
I'm in my first year at Bristol studying History. I got 2 A*s and an A at A Level and a First in my first year. I want to study a one year masters at either Cambridge, Oxford, LSE or UCL in some sort of History or something more business focused like Management after my degree - what are my chances? Thanks

I'm quite confused as to why people are still asking these questions. If you have a look at the threads in the original posts, it states that A-level grades do not matter. As long as you're on track for a high 2.1/First, have good references and have a good reason why you want to do the course, you should have a fair chance. This is coming from someone offered a place at one of the institutions you mentioned. I had average/below average A-levels, went to low-mid tier uni, attained a first, did work experience and researched the course thoroughly.

Your main aim should really be whether the course is right for you. I find it crazy that people are chasing the name brands if they wont enjoy or benefit from the degree. I only applied to Cambridge as they had the best course content and offered everything I wanted to do. If the same course was at a lower tier uni, I would have gone there.

Just make sure you are thinking about a Masters for the right reasons. It is a lot of money to waste if you won't enjoy it.
Hi guys,

I just want to know if my academic background is strong enought before I apply.
I go to a decent RG uni, finished my first two years of Bsc Economics degree with a average of 79%.
I have some relevant work experience and I expect my tutor and supervisor to write very good references.
Is it worth applying?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending