The Student Room Group

Can employers discriminate against looks?

Say if you have the right experience, good availability, aced the interview giving perfect answers, showing confidence, being dressed and groomed well, and outshining everyone in the room in all areas.

Does an employer have the legal right to refuse someone if there not good looking.

I knew one of the other applicants who managed to get the job even though they're performance was one of the worst in the room, but their good looks was the only thing that set them apart. This is a regular retail brand who sell stationery, are they legally allowed to discriminate against looks?
(edited 8 years ago)
Well if you're applying for a modelling job then I'm pretty sure they can haha, but if it's for like an office job or anything else of that sort that doesn't require you to look a certain way then I'm not too sure. I'm pretty certain it's illegal to refuse someone a job because of their race/religion, but how would you prove that they have refused you the job just because of the way you look? It's your word against theirs :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by NextGenLeader
Say if you have the right experience, good availability, aced the interview giving perfect answers, showing confidence, being dressed and groomed well, and outshining everyone in the room in all areas.

Does an employer have the legal right to refuse someone if there not good looking.

I knew one of the other applicants who managed to get the job even though they're performance was one of the worst in the room, but their good looks was the only thing that set them apart. This is a regular retail brand who sell stationery, are they legally allowed to discriminate against looks?

If the employer did refuse to hire someone based on their looks (race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), it would be going against the Equality Act 2010..not sure about how good looking they were though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slc98
If the employer did refuse to hire someone based on their looks, it would be going against the Equality Act 2010..

No. That act bans employment discrimination based on a clearly-defined set of protected characteristics, which are: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation.

You will notice that a person's attractiveness is not on the list.
Reply 4
Original post by Good bloke
No. That act bans employment discrimination based on a clearly-defined set of protected characteristics, which are: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation.

You will notice that a person's attractiveness is not on the list.

You're right! but I did mention that I wasn't sure about how good-looking a person is would be affected..i don't think I phrased it correctly though, sorry.
Well I've heard retail shops like hollister do.

:dontknow:

I am not 100% sure though.
Yes of course they can. its not like you could prove they didnt hire you because you are ugly or whatever. Same with stuff like race. If the manager at KFC is a racist, he will hire the white applicant over the black applicant and thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending