The Student Room Group

Chosen these for my A Levels

I've applied to a college (Strode) and got in, just hope I get good grades now.
The courses I chose are:

Media Studies - (My first choice, really enjoy this type of stuff and won't change it)
Geography - (Probably my best subject in terms of grades and understanding, and I mainly enjoy it.)
English Language - (Wanted to include one that would look pretty good for future jobs and/or Uni, and I'm better at things such as Creative Writing than I am at picking out quotes and things like "what the author meant by..."
Psychology - (Went to the Taster Day and quite enjoyed it, however I've not done anything to do with Psychology in school because we didn't have that option)

I'm thinking of swapping out Psychology for Maths, so I have a 'numbers' course in there (all of mine include lots of writing I've heard.) On the other hand, I find Maths really tiring and frustrating, and although I'm predicted an A, I really don't think I'd have the motivation to do it.

So my questions for this are:
- Do I have a good range of courses?
- How different is Maths compared to Secondary School?
- Should I swap Maths for Psychology?
Original post by WeveGotPayet
I've applied to a college (Strode) and got in, just hope I get good grades now.
The courses I chose are:

Media Studies - (My first choice, really enjoy this type of stuff and won't change it)
Geography - (Probably my best subject in terms of grades and understanding, and I mainly enjoy it.)
English Language - (Wanted to include one that would look pretty good for future jobs and/or Uni, and I'm better at things such as Creative Writing than I am at picking out quotes and things like "what the author meant by..."
Psychology - (Went to the Taster Day and quite enjoyed it, however I've not done anything to do with Psychology in school because we didn't have that option)

I'm thinking of swapping out Psychology for Maths, so I have a 'numbers' course in there (all of mine include lots of writing I've heard.) On the other hand, I find Maths really tiring and frustrating, and although I'm predicted an A, I really don't think I'd have the motivation to do it.

So my questions for this are:
- Do I have a good range of courses?
- How different is Maths compared to Secondary School?
- Should I swap Maths for Psychology?

Don't worry about having a "good range" of courses to do, I have a lot of friends who do a combination like English, History, RS and French - it really doesn't matter.

Maths at AS level is the same, it's definitely not much different unlike other subjects.

Don't do Maths - if you hate it, you hate it and if you don't see a future in which you do maths, don't do it. You will regret it so much.

Hope that was helpful :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have a good range of courses - just like GCSEs you should be able to swap subjects if you hate them in the first couple of weeks - and you may be able to drop one before the end of the first year if you really hate it.

In terms of Maths - you have to be very comfortable at it as it gets hard quickly.In terms of difficulty - there is more algebra (less numbers) as it focuses more on concepts rather than actual questions.

You may find you have a lot of written essays to do so time management is key. Good Luck and I hope you do well!

Quick Reply