The Student Room Group

Graphic design @ KINGSTON university

Hi, all!
I've got an offer to study graphdes at Kingston. I've visited the campus, seen the workshops and met with one of the tutors on two occassions. I also met a student, who told me lots of great things about the course, but certain things she said definitely put me off.
Could anyone who currently or has attended the faculty of art, design and architecture tell me a little bit more about the social aspects AT uni, student union and the graphdes course itself?

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
I wouldn't be picking a uni for the social aspects, but that's just me. But Kingston itself is great, I am doing the foundation there and it's brilliant, really enjoy it!

It's a 40 min train ride to central London and this is amazing as you can get to the all the shopping/exhibitions/museums/galleries/theatre and night life.

Kingston itself is pretty rubbish for a fun night out, most people go to Clapham - 20 mins from Kingston.

But upside of Kingston is that it's relatively safe and it's not the kind of place you are afraid to venture out in the evening. Easy food shopping and usual stuff right in for step. Likewise trains and buses.
So if you choose here, am sure you will have a blast but end up going out of Kingston on mass for a night out!
Thank you!
The social life at uni is a little bit important to me, since the degree will take 3 years. I'm also looking at doing a masters right after...
Reply 3
Original post by vonbroten
Thank you!
The social life at uni is a little bit important to me, since the degree will take 3 years. I'm also looking at doing a masters right after...

Good luck what ever you decide! Nightlife 20 mins away! And everyone goes on mass so it's fun! 🍀😀
Reply 4
Ps I would say 99% of my course applied to continue at Kingston - so that's says something! I didn't but only as I wanted to return to Scotland
I am probably going to do film making there. I had a look around the course and I loved it. I didn't get to see the campus though :frown:
Original post by EdgyGem
Ps I would say 99% of my course applied to continue at Kingston - so that's says something! I didn't but only as I wanted to return to Scotland

Wow, yes, it certainly does!
Still wanna go to the GSA though. Hehe.
But thank you!
Original post by loveleest
I am probably going to do film making there. I had a look around the course and I loved it. I didn't get to see the campus though :frown:

I've seen the entire FADA building, if that's what you're referring to? :smile:
Didn't get to see the halls, which sucks, but I'm more interested in renting privately anyway.
I've seen the entire FADA building, if that's what you're referring to? :smile:
Didn't get to see the halls, which sucks, but I'm more interested in renting privately anyway.

Oh haha, yeah I have seen the whole FADA. I saw everything in my interview, I thought you was referring to halls, which I have not seen.

Oh interesting :smile: I am probably going to get an ensuite. They are still deciding on my offer though. sigh.
Reply 9
A word to the warning about halls!
Don't and I do mean don't what ever you do go to 1 Penryn Road - private halls! Had the worst time for first 5 months with drugs problems! It's a fab building and amazing rooms. But horrible people - from let's just say more liberal drug beliefs ruined the students who stayed here life! Constantly smoking drugs and vomited in lifts and threw rubbish around - it tools months for them to be evicted. They where up all night 'high' being bizarre and took their equally drug addled friends back too! But if you are in Kingston own halls, whilst this may occur, it's stamped out quickly! Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh haha, yeah I have seen the whole FADA. I saw everything in my interview, I thought you was referring to halls, which I have not seen.

Oh interesting :smile: I am probably going to get an ensuite. They are still deciding on my offer though. sigh.

I've been offered a place at both the photography and the graphdes course, so I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna go there or not... And if I go there, which course... Haha.
I've been offered a place at both the photography and the graphdes course, so I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna go there or not... And if I go there, which course... Haha.

How did you find it? I made it my first choice because I really liked it :smile:
It depends, which one do you think you would more likely use in the future?
Original post by EdgyGem
A word to the warning about halls!
Don't and I do mean don't what ever you do go to 1 Penryn Road - private halls! Had the worst time for first 5 months with drugs problems! It's a fab building and amazing rooms. But horrible people - from let's just say more liberal drug beliefs ruined the students who stayed here life! Constantly smoking drugs and vomited in lifts and threw rubbish around - it tools months for them to be evicted. They where up all night 'high' being bizarre and took their equally drug addled friends back too! But if you are in Kingston own halls, whilst this may occur, it's stamped out quickly! Good luck!

I have to go to the Penryn road one :frown: because that is where I will be studying.
How did you find it? I made it my first choice because I really liked it :smile:
It depends, which one do you think you would more likely use in the future?

How did I find the campus area? Or the course? Or both? Haha.
Graphdes for sure, as that's what I want to work as. I'm just madly in love with photography, art and storytelling...
How did I find the campus area? Or the course? Or both? Haha.
Graphdes for sure, as that's what I want to work as. I'm just madly in love with photography, art and storytelling...

Both the area and the course. :smile: I think go for graphics then because that is what would help you the most.
Reply 15
I have to go to the Penryn road one :frown: because that is where I will be studying.

Seriously... Well it's been take over by new management and it has def improved, on site staff all time. But I can't say anything good about it as was horrible/scary and just nasty experience. The police where involved, local council! It's very expensive and honestly awful. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are nice and all! We even had no hot water or heating during winter for 4 days! I had to keep going home every weekend to get away from it! Buy a heated blanket and basically froze!

As prior to this was honestly a drugs den! There are def alternatives and look at them closely. Kingston attitude to my problems - was ohh bad luck but it's nothing to do with us - bye!
Original post by EdgyGem
Seriously... Well it's been take over by new management and it has def improved, on site staff all time. But I can't say anything good about it as was horrible/scary and just nasty experience. The police where involved, local council! It's very expensive and honestly awful. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are nice and all! We even had no hot water or heating during winter for 4 days! I had to keep going home every weekend to get away from it! Buy a heated blanket and basically froze!

As prior to this was honestly a drugs den! There are def alternatives and look at them closely. Kingston attitude to my problems - was ohh bad luck but it's nothing to do with us - bye!

aww, this has put me off Kingston. My brother went to Kingston and said his flatmates were really messy.
Original post by EdgyGem

This is honestly what I've been fearing from London unis. Makes me slightly annoyed to hear Kingston has/had these problems, although I'm not at all surprised.
Reply 18
aww, this has put me off Kingston. My brother went to Kingston and said his flatmates were really messy.

Sorry to put you off but it's the reality of it. The uni is fab and the students. But the halls are horrendous, it ruined my time there and left me afraid to sleep. My rooms was full of the strong fumes of drugs and I felt dizzy and sick. The lift was full of vomit for days on end. The bins over flowing with the smell of sick (sour milk). Honestly horrible and the manager in charge, turned out he was 'in on the drugs' so never stopped it!
If you can stay else where, am sure not be as bad, or if you can stay in halls that the uni themselves rent out, then okay. But NEVER go to Penryn - they want your money and don't give a crap after that!
Reply 19
This is honestly what I've been fearing from London unis. Makes me slightly annoyed to hear Kingston has/had these problems, although I'm not at all surprised.

I know some of my friends stay in Surbitton (15/20 mins away) and they find it better - not amazing but have had the usual hall sharing problems - but not been subjected to police raids etc!

Quick Reply

Latest