The Student Room Group

if answer not there in mark scheme.......

If my answer is correct, but not necessarily there in the mark scheme, would I get marks?

It's very rare, I know, as they make the ms quite carefully, but, once or twice, I think my answers were applicable, but not there in the scheme.
It depends...

An answer can be technically correct but in some subjects if you have not included the key points they decide are critical to a correct answer you might not get marks for it. I've seen this especially true in the sciences, particularly biology. Studying past papers and their mark schemes has been a good way to learn how they want certain topics answered. In other subjects the mark schemes don't list all possible responses and the knowledge of the person who marks it is used to judge the value of your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
It depends...

An answer can be technically correct but in some subjects if you have not included the key points they decide are critical to a correct answer you might not get marks for it. I've seen this especially true in the sciences, particularly biology. Studying past papers and their mark schemes has been a good way to learn how they want certain topics answered. In other subjects the mark schemes don't list all possible responses and the knowledge of the person who marks it is used to judge the value of your answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, in fact, Im talking especially about biology.

There was this question on why lower iron intake leads to fatigue. I got 2 of 3 points right, but, the final one, I wrote that less oxygen means fat cannot be oxidised for energy. now, is this wrong, or correct?
Original post by fandom-queen
Yeah, in fact, Im talking especially about biology.

There was this question on why lower iron intake leads to fatigue. I got 2 of 3 points right, but, the final one, I wrote that less oxygen means fat cannot be oxidised for energy. now, is this wrong, or correct?

You might want to check with a biologist who has more up to date knowledge but...

While muscles can metabolise fat and they do so aerobically, I think in relation to muscle fatigue you should only be talking about aerobic and anaerobic carbohydrate metabolism. What did the mark scheme say? If you missed one of the points they were looking for you lose a mark regardless of whether your answer is technically true or completely wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the same problem with biology. In the new linear Edexcel they are very strict on answers. You can be good in biology, but if you do not answer with their words it is not marked. :frown:
Original post by gdunne42
You might want to check with a biologist who has more up to date knowledge but...

While muscles can metabolise fat and they do so aerobically, I think in relation to muscle fatigue you should only be talking about aerobic and anaerobic carbohydrate metabolism. What did the mark scheme say? If you missed one of the points they were looking for you lose a mark regardless of whether your answer is technically true or completely wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the final point was in terms of lower respiration. Ugh, do you have any tips for the specificity of biology? i have less than a month to go till my exams, and I'm struggling.

Original post by the_queen
I have the same problem with biology. In the new linear Edexcel they are very strict on answers. You can be good in biology, but if you do not answer with their words it is not marked. :frown:

Exactly! I do CIE, and it's just as annoying, the mark schemes are so specific, and in those kind of situations I tend to get......creative.

Quick Reply

Latest