The Student Room Group

Sponsorship for GDL

So I've been reading up about how some law firms will take me on for a training contract and fund my GDL, am I supposed to be looking right now for training contracts? Even though I don't have a law degree?

Scroll to see replies

Third year you ought to be looking.

http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/CareerPath
Career path.
Original post by 999tigger
Third year you ought to be looking.

http://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/CareerPath
Career path.

Ah, I don't want to be a solicitor though.
Original post by Duncaaaaaan

Then why would they pay for your GDL and why would you be talking about training contracts?
(edited 8 years ago)
Then why would they pay for your GDL and why would you be talking about training contracts?

Well.... I just heard it's one way to fund the GDL, am I on my own with paying for it then? I don't think I'd have enough credentials as a non law student to get membership with an inns of court.
Well.... I just heard it's one way to fund the GDL, am I on my own with paying for it then? I don't think I'd have enough credentials as a non law student to get membership with an inns of court.

What is it you want to do with your GDL and why should someone pay you?

Seems pointless if you dont know.

In that case, it would be much more difficult for you. If you want to be sponsored for the GDL in order to become a barrister, you'll have to first do research on the Inns of Court. Look at what they have to offer and see which one appeals to you the most. Some of them might offer more scholarship opportunities, so that might be used to help you fund your GDL. Note that you'll also need to do the BPTC, and given that this is not normally funded by chambers, you will have to pay out of pocket to get this done. The earlier you find these routes, the higher the chance of getting a chance to be sponsored by the Inns of Court, depending on your financial status and your application.

Here is a link for GDL scholarships from Inner Temple if you are interested: https://www.innertemple.org.uk/prospective-members/scholarships/cpe-gdl-awards.
What is it you want to do with your GDL and why should someone pay you?

Seems pointless if you dont know.

Obviously I'm interested in the barrister route then you ****ing idiot.
Original post by zero_gravity
In that case, it would be much more difficult for you. If you want to be sponsored for the GDL in order to become a barrister, you'll have to first do research on the Inns of Court. Look at what they have to offer and see which one appeals to you the most. Some of them might offer more scholarship opportunities, so that might be used to help you fund your GDL. Note that you'll also need to do the BPTC, and given that this is not normally funded by chambers, you will have to pay out of pocket to get this done. The earlier you find these routes, the higher the chance of getting a chance to be sponsored by the Inns of Court, depending on your financial status and your application.

Here is a link for GDL scholarships from Inner Temple if you are interested: https://www.innertemple.org.uk/prospective-members/scholarships/cpe-gdl-awards.

Do you think the fact that I don't have legal experience or any law qualification as of right now will make getting an inn scholarship very difficult/impossible?
Obviously I'm interested in the barrister route then you ****ing idiot.

Lol amazing. Why were you unable to say that in your OP, then you could have gotten the correct answer from the start. I could then have linked you up with possible funding opportunities for people who help people in your position.
Because it was obvious and also, you're being a confrontational **** for no reason.
Because it was obvious and also, you're being a confrontational **** for no reason.

"I've been reading up about how some law firms will take me on for a training contract and fund my GDL, am I supposed to be looking right now for training contracts?"

Where does it mention anything about the bar here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
"I've been reading up about how some law firms will take me on for a training contract and fund my GDL, am I supposed to be looking right now for training contracts?"

Where does it mention anything about the bar here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the 2nd post of this thread.

I have, but I'm yet to see how an opening post dedicated to the path of becoming a solicitor and then a contradicting post saying you 'don't want to be a solicitor' can 'obviously' lead us to you considering the bar.. It only comes off as you not knowing what you want, and reveals to us that you've done little if any research.

Anyway, some chambers will give a section of the pupilage award early to cover stuff like the GDL and BPTC. Whether you manage to get a pupilage with no prior mini-pupillages or pieces of work experience, is another story..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I have, but I'm yet to see how an opening post dedicated to the path of becoming a solicitor and then a contradicting post saying you 'don't want to be a solicitor' can 'obviously' lead us to you considering the bar.. It only comes off as you not knowing what you want, and reveals to us that you've done little if any research.

Anyway, some chambers will give a section of the pupilage award early to cover stuff like the GDL and LPC. Whether you manage to get a pupilage with no prior mini-pupillages or pieces of work experience, is another story..

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do?

"I don't want to be a solicitor" =/= "I want to be a barrister".

That first statement could mean you have aspirations to be a milk man or a rocket physicist, or that you're unsure about working as a solicitor and want to go into business, or you don't want to work at all and would rather go on JSA. It wasn't at all clear, now pipe down.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
They do?

Jesus... Sorry about that mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesus... Sorry about that mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's OK, bud. Though I give such deference to your word that I started to question whether or not barristers chambers pay their prospective members to undertake solicitor qualifications.
Do you think the fact that I don't have legal experience or any law qualification as of right now will make getting an inn scholarship very difficult/impossible?

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is impossible to get one, but it would be really difficult in your situation. Note that you need to show that you are really serious and passionate about pursuing law. This would normally mean showing it through experience, in your case, a mini-pupillage or shadowing. However, since you don't have any legal experience, this would mean that you will need to prove it through other means.

Second of all, you need to be a member of one of the Inns of Court in order to apply. Given that the deadlines are soon approaching for the scholarship applications, I would highly recommend you to fill it out soon (with the membership fee) in order to have a chance. If not, you can try your luck next year, but there are no guarantees, since it is extremely competitive.
Original post by zero_gravity
I wouldn't necessarily say that it is impossible to get one, but it would be really difficult in your situation. Note that you need to show that you are really serious and passionate about pursuing law. This would normally mean showing it through experience, in your case, a mini-pupillage or shadowing. However, since you don't have any legal experience, this would mean that you will need to prove it through other means.

Second of all, you need to be a member of one of the Inns of Court in order to apply. Given that the deadlines are soon approaching for the scholarship applications, I would highly recommend you to fill it out soon (with the membership fee) in order to have a chance. If not, you can try your luck next year, but there are no guarantees, since it is extremely competitive.

Yes I plan on getting a mini pupillage some time during the final months of my degree or over the summer if it can be done over summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending