The Student Room Group

Why are some preferences more accepted than others?

I've not really been with enough girls to really know if I have any preferences but I've seen a lot of things I am quite confused about when it comes to dating.

Like it's perfectly acceptable to say, I want a partner who is this height or this type of build, or this eye colour and so on. However it is deemed as wrong to say I prefer my partner to be this race?

Also it seems most minorities (I am a minority myself) are allowed to say they only find their own race attractive or that they only like white partners, however if a white person says they only like white people that is racist but if a white person says they only like another race that is also racist?

Why is it acceptable for minorities to be allowed to have a preference for any girls from their general area like Nigerian guy says he only likes African girls or Chinese guy says he only likes Asian girls. Why does nationality seem to extend to continent?

Yeah basically, why are some preferences accepted and some aren't.

Scroll to see replies

It works the same way as black on white racism some people think that it is impossible.
I don't mind anyone saying that they want to stay with their own race or colour
Reply 2
becoz white boys are soo oppressed in this cold world where being white is terrible
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BinyQuan
becoz white boys are so oppressed in this cold world where being white is terrible

I don't think that's true, that's not a really sensible answer.

Original post by AperfectBalance
It works the same way as black on white racism some people think that it is impossible.
I don't mind anyone saying that they want to stay with their own race or colour

I don't see why it's seen as acceptable for some but it's wrong to prefer something that isn't your own race?
Original post by Dinasaurus
I don't think that's true, that's not a really sensible answer.

I don't see why it's seen as acceptable for some but it's wrong to prefer something that isn't your own race?

Some things just are not logical.
Reply 5
If it's acceptable to me it's acceptable. Idc if you don't approve of it, it's backed by solid logic so go off yourself.
People tend to be attracted to people who look more like them and have similar attitudes and same cultures etc.
Reply 7
Original post by AperfectBalance
Some things just are not logical.

I feel like preferences should be cultural than racial, surely it makes more sense to be attracted to someone who grew up in a similar way to you, no matter what they look like. Rather than someone who looks like you but grew up on the other side of the world.
Reply 8
if someones facebook said "Don't send me friend requests if you're black" it doesnt mean they are racist, they just prefer white friends
Reply 9
Original post by loveleest
People tend to be attracted to people who look more like them and have similar attitudes and same cultures etc.

I feel this excludes people who's cultural upbringing don't match their ethnicity/appearance.
if someones facebook said "Don't send me friend requests if you're black" it doesnt mean they are racist, they just prefer white friends

Lol that is racist.

That's not what I said, also why are your examples only about black and white?

I've frequently seen black people who say they'll only date black people, but this is alright?
Why are you asking tsr like we know
Original post by Squishy•
Why are you asking tsr like we know

I don't tend to ask questions for an answer but for a discussion and to see how people think and see alternating view points.

Most questions that can be answered so easily don't need to be asked.
Original post by Dinasaurus
That's not what I said, also why are your examples only about black and white?

I've frequently seen black people who say they'll only date black people, but this is alright?

listen in most cases a black woman is seen unattractive by society , study also showed they leased desired online dating so people say such things to boost confidence , you cant say you like a certain race even as a minority , its just terrible
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol that is racist.

ikr its same with dating
listen in most cases a black woman is seen unattractive by society , study also showed they leased desired online dating so people say such things to boost confidence , you cant say you like a certain race even as a minority , its just terrible

I never did say I liked a certain race over any others.

But I know for certain, that some people literally do only like black girls. I am mixed and some of my step-cousins and family who are from the continental African, openly state a preference and have never shown otherwise.
Reply 17
So, there are no constraints on who anyone chooses to find attractive, sleep with etc, or not to do so.

What is unnecessary and questionable is to band a whole race based on your categoriation of what is attractive. Even leaving aside that attractives is a much more complex issue than race, it's a really crass thing to say I don't find black, white or whatever people attractive. Like does that whole race give a toss about how you feel.
Original post by Zarek
So, there are no constraints on who anyone chooses to find attractive, sleep with etc, or not to do so.

What is unnecessary and questionable is to band a whole race based on your categoriation of what is attractive. Even leaving aside that attractives is a much more complex issue than race, it's a really crass thing to say I don't find black, white or whatever people attractive. Like does that whole race give a toss about how you feel.

I never really meant exclusive preferences, I meant people who say they have inclusive preferences.

Like people tend to say I like blue eyes not I don't like brown and green eyes.
Reply 19
[QUOTE=Dinasaurus;64067329]I never really meant exclusive preferences, I meant people who say they have inclusive preferences.Like people tend to say I like blue eyes not I don't like brown and green eyes.I think there are appearance preference, mind you the eye colour one you mention I imagine is pretty mild. Cant imagine anyone would turn down a date with a complete babe if her eye colour was not their preference :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending