The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at Cardiff University

I'm considering putting cardiff as my first choice but I have a few questions.
In terms of the university, would you say it's too big? Are there lots of societies to get involved in? What types of people go to the university? Do you find people go there just to party? I know that it's supposed to be really good for Pharmacy, so I'm not too worried about the course, but would you say the lecturers are interested in what they do and are they organised? What would you say is the best accommodation to stay in? Is it predominantly Welsh people that go to the uni or do you get a mix of different backgrounds? And finally, what would you say is the worst thing about studying in Cardiff?
Thanks so much for the help :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there! I'm a second year undergraduate studying the MPharm degree at Cardiff, so hopefully I can give you some help!

I wouldn't say that Cardiff Uni is too big - most of the Uni buildings are very close together, apart from medicine and other healthcare subjects which are further away (about 40 minutes away from the SU) at the Heath Campus. Pharmacy is in the centre of things. Being a city Uni rather than a campus Uni has its benefits - there's a lot to do in town, and the shops are close to the Uni. There are two other big uni's with buildings in Cardiff, but personally I find that this means there are loads of cool new friends to meet with, which is a great thing!

There are plenty of societies to get involved with: look them up on cardiffstudents.com! And if you don't like any of them, you can always create your own! :wink:

ALL types of people go to Uni, older students, overseas, those concerned with purely studying, those who like to party - it's a massive mix. You will be sure to find some like-minded people on the course.

The lecturers are very friendly and helpful at Cardiff. There are a few who could be more organised, but you'll find that wherever you go. I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, which is part catered and I really liked it there, But Talybont Court is also nice and if you want to be super social, Taly North and South are the places to go. There are actually relatively few Welsh students at the Uni, which I think is a shame! But there is a massive amount of diversity, which is great! I would say the worst thing is the stress of finding a student house after the first year - letting agencies try to take advantage of you, some of the houses are disgusting and people very often have problems with housemates. But again, most unis have this problem and at least Cardiff is cheaper (due to the massive student population) than other places!

Hope that helps! x
Original post by KPharma
Hi there! I'm a second year undergraduate studying the MPharm degree at Cardiff, so hopefully I can give you some help!

I wouldn't say that Cardiff Uni is too big - most of the Uni buildings are very close together, apart from medicine and other healthcare subjects which are further away (about 40 minutes away from the SU) at the Heath Campus. Pharmacy is in the centre of things. Being a city Uni rather than a campus Uni has its benefits - there's a lot to do in town, and the shops are close to the Uni. There are two other big uni's with buildings in Cardiff, but personally I find that this means there are loads of cool new friends to meet with, which is a great thing!

There are plenty of societies to get involved with: look them up on cardiffstudents.com! And if you don't like any of them, you can always create your own! :wink:

ALL types of people go to Uni, older students, overseas, those concerned with purely studying, those who like to party - it's a massive mix. You will be sure to find some like-minded people on the course.

The lecturers are very friendly and helpful at Cardiff. There are a few who could be more organised, but you'll find that wherever you go. I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, which is part catered and I really liked it there, But Talybont Court is also nice and if you want to be super social, Taly North and South are the places to go. There are actually relatively few Welsh students at the Uni, which I think is a shame! But there is a massive amount of diversity, which is great! I would say the worst thing is the stress of finding a student house after the first year - letting agencies try to take advantage of you, some of the houses are disgusting and people very often have problems with housemates. But again, most unis have this problem and at least Cardiff is cheaper (due to the massive student population) than other places!

Hope that helps! x

Thanks so much for the help!
Just firmed this school. It's the best in the UK, so job prospects will be amazing and its all in one building so the size of the uni isn't too big a problem!
Reply 4
Hi, i was just wondering how did u know its the best?? like what were you looking for? in general you mean? or education wise? and i was wondering about the university in general, do you guys think that it being a city uni made it harder to meet people or easier??

Original post by ShahenazM
Just firmed this school. It's the best in the UK, so job prospects will be amazing and its all in one building so the size of the uni isn't too big a problem!
@RuruLock It's in the city centre but it's a largely student population anyway so you won't struggle too much in meeting people. The accommodation is also very large-scale in places so that helps you too, as well as the SU being right in the middle of it all!
Job prospects are a tricky one as it's work experience really that gets you the pre-reg where you want (key to remember that employment after uni for pharmacy means a pre-reg which can be easier to get than a job as a registered pharmacist).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RuruLock
Hi, i was just wondering how did u know its the best?? like what were you looking for? in general you mean? or education wise? and i was wondering about the university in general, do you guys think that it being a city uni made it harder to meet people or easier??

Its been ranked the best for Pharmacy (Cambridge is only number 1 because it does Phamacology not pharmacy, so for pharmacy cardiff is no 1). http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Pharmacology%20%26%20Pharmacy Also, Cardiff may seem like a huge city but I've lived here all my life and its really easy to get around and meet people so don't worry!
Reply 7
Original post by ShahenazM
Its been ranked the best for Pharmacy (Cambridge is only number 1 because it does Phamacology not pharmacy, so for pharmacy cardiff is no 1). http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Pharmacology%20%26%20Pharmacy Also, Cardiff may seem like a huge city but I've lived here all my life and its really easy to get around and meet people so don't worry!

lol yeah ive seen that xD i was just a lil worried cos the year before theyre ranked 10th xD they have quite a lot of variation lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending