The Student Room Group

Leaving Work Without Notice

I am currently working a job that requires me to give four weeks notice when leaving, however after recent events at work I want to leave immediately. I am an 18 year old full time student and the atmosphere at my job has gone from bad to worse. My manager asked me to work overtime for five days starting at 7AM every day and then she herself called in sick for stress. My job is completely understaffed (cafe retail) and we have no team leaders or anyone to manage us when she is not there only the main store manager.

I was extremely stressed and throwing up by Thursday so on Friday I had to call in sick. It got to the point where on Thursday I was crying at work but I could not find anyone to cover me for the following day because of the lack of staff. There are about five people who are leaving the job soon and I know things can only get worse from there.

I had a job interview yesterday and got the position ready to start on Friday. I will hand my notice in tomorrow but I really don't want to work my notice period.

My contract or employee guide do not line out what will happen if I don't follow my notice period? Since my position is only a part time hourly paid contract what's the worst they could do?
Original post by Lycheekitteh

There's nothing significant they will/can realistically do. They will probably be mighty p'd off at you, but they can't do much, especially if you don't need a reference. The main risk in leaving without notice is if you have taken more leave than you are due at the point you walk out, but that doesn't sound likely in your case.
Reply 2
You won't be prosecuted. The major risk is that you cannot approach them for an entirely unblemished reference if you abandon your position without adequate notice. But if you have a job elsewhere lined up...

My advice is to hand in your notice and make your manager aware that you will not be returning for the next shift. Explain that you have had enough and the stress is making you ill. You need not mention your new employment.
Original post by CCC75
You won't be prosecuted. The major risk is that you cannot approach them for an entirely unblemished reference if you abandon your position without adequate notice. But if you have a job elsewhere lined up...

My advice is to hand in your notice and make your manager aware that you will not be returning for the next shift. Explain that you have had enough and the stress is making you ill. You need not mention your new employment.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending