The Student Room Group

Im a pharmacist, Ask me (almost) anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m_james
Are you happy that you chose to study Pharmacy at university? Would you change to a different degree if you had the chance to go back in time?

Future Pharmacy student here! :colondollar:

well...thats an interesting topic. some aspects I would change. regarding studying pharmacy, it depends on your options. If i could go back in time, I would actually modify certain aspects in high school which ended up haing negative conseqeunces later on during GSCE exams and A levels. If you could go for medicine vs pharmacy, then go medicine. dentistry only if your after money but in terms of health it isnt a bad degree, as long as your not in community (aim for hospital!!). this is from a community locum. but the thing with pharmacy degree is that it can prepare you to go into other fields later in life, both healthcare related and non-healthcare (rory byrne was an industrial chemist for 3 years and ended up designing michael schumachers title winning f1 cars and the 1984 toleman which ayrton senna made his debut in - sadly this pathway isnt open anymore (or if it is, its bloody hard))
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
depends if you are taking any other medication or have any other health conditions tbh. AND your age (ie if your under 18). the drugs which are available for depression (well the drug) which is a natural product is called st john's wort. only problem with natural drugs is that, whilst they have clinical benefit, because they comprise of multiple chemicals rather than an extracted pure chemical, it can have an adverse effect on other medication (preventing them working properly, increasing side-effects, worsening other healthcare conditions). all antidepressant medication isnt recommended in those under 18 unless they are serious risk of harm to themselves and others. in which case a osychiatrist / suitably qualified GP would have to prescribe an SSRI called fluoxetine (prozac in america), which is usually a 20mg capsule each day. but this is only available via prescription and do not recommend it at all unless it has been prescribed.

BUTin reality, counselling is ideal, especially if your under 18 (. there is a charity called MIND which helps people with depression (and other mental conditions). you can talk to people over the phone or arrange for counselling. similarly, speak to your GP about it (by law they cannot tell anyone anything about you, including family and friends, once your over 16, or over 14 and are aware of situation / competent).

drugs for mental health conditions are always a last resort and shouldnt be considered straight of the bat as they can be detremental in terms of side-effects / reliance and shouldonly be used if counselling has failed

thank you very much :smile: i actually tried counselling when i was 12-14 but he got tired of me lol
and i actuallyy just turned 18 haha so its all good:smile: i can just go to like the supermarket and get some st johns wort or is it at a special store? thanks again:smile:
Can you prescribe me some morphine?

Also tagging in a aspiring pharmacist.
Original post by martinique1998
thank you very much :smile: i actually tried counselling when i was 12-14 but he got tired of me lol
and i actuallyy just turned 18 haha so its all good:smile: i can just go to like the supermarket and get some st johns wort or is it at a special store? thanks again:smile:

last I checked it was on the general sales list, so hollands and barret / herbal place (or a pharmacy)
Original post by quasa
as far as I am aware, vitamin D wouldnt have an influence on periods (nor would calcium for that matter) as the main benefits of systemic vitamin supplements is to reinforce bone density (particularly if one is immobile for a period of time, recovering from broken/ fractured bones, has osteoporosis) .

If anything, things like instant noodles and soy products are more likely to have an affect as they contain chemical analogues of oestrogen (similarly, things which cause increased testosterone production can have an influence on oestrogen as well).

also consider if there have been any changes in diet, stress, lifestyle, physical actvity and weight (chances are you would need to check with your gp or a gynaecologist if you are really concerned about regularity). then off course there are the 2 p words: pill and pregnancy.

I dont know anything about you but I am trying to think of possible suspects (assuming it is yourself you are on about). ideally more info about the patient is needed but generally to answer the key point: vitamin D has no (known) influence on periods (or it shouldnt do looking at the pathways inside the body).

Can Vitamin D3 supplements improve teeth?
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

what do you recommend if i bled a lot of blood out of my butt about 3 week ago?
What do you really think of doctors?
Original post by Ethereal World
Can you prescribe me some morphine?

Also tagging in a aspiring pharmacist.

you do know pharmacies also keep heroin and fentanyl right?

(heroin is slightly modded morphine, fentanyl is a bitch of a drug which can only be given to those who have experienced morphine else they will die/be hospitalised)
Reply 28
Do you enjoy working as a pharmacist? If you had the option would you pick pharmacy again/ what would you pick instead?

Nevermind you've already answered this question above.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Can Vitamin D3 supplements improve teeth?

in theroy yes, but it would be more of a systemic thing (ie your bones as well as teeth). tbh, teeth have more in common with nails than bones. but there are toothpastes which contain a substance called strontium which aids remodelling (bone is constantly degrading and regenerating due the the effect of osteoclasts and osteoblasts respectively; strontium promots activity of the latter). I know there is a sensodyne one which contains strontium, just cant remember which one lol
Original post by quasa
last I checked it was on the general sales list, so hollands and barret / herbal place (or a pharmacy)

thank you very very much:smile:
What's your salary? If you don't want to say just say the banding you are on.
Original post by thefatone
what do you recommend if i bled a lot of blood out of my butt about 3 week ago?

gonna ask a few questions if you dont mind: what colour was the blood (how dark was it to be more specific), how long did the bleeding last for, did you feel any pain/ swelling around your anus/ rectum, have you had any changes in weight, did you feel any lumps, have there been any changes in weight (unintentional chances) and was it only from your bum (it might be a haemarrhoid but just want to check to see if there are any other potential factors). also what did you eat / what medication do you currently take
Original post by quasa
you do know pharmacies also keep heroin and fentanyl right?

(heroin is slightly modded morphine, fentanyl is a bitch of a drug which can only be given to those who have experienced morphine else they will die/be hospitalised)

Yeah isn't the difference in the 'hit' because Heroin's structure means it crosses the blood brain barrier quicker and therefore you get the rush sooner.

I think tbh Heroin would be a BAD idea for me.

Do you give out needles to addicts?
Hey
I've applied for pharmacy and hope to go this September.
Overall have you enjoyed your degree?
Have your working prospects lived up to your expectations?
Is there a lot of maths involved with pharmacy?
How difficult did you find first year compared to A levels?
Original post by chikane
What's your salary? If you don't want to say just say the banding you are on.

technically community pharmacist locums dont have banding but I earn the same as a fulltime band 7 pharmacist when I work (locum band 7s earn more than fulltime band 8bs for some reason)
Original post by martinique1998
thank you very very much:smile:

np
What are likely career pathways after doing a pharmacy masters degree? I think I might want to do it at uni but not sure if it's worth it, (I'm also on the verge of biochemistry.) :dontknow:
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

Do you get all the junkies queueing up for their methadone where you work?
Original post by quasa
gonna ask a few questions if you dont mind: what colour was the blood (how dark was it to be more specific), how long did the bleeding last for, did you feel any pain/ swelling around your anus/ rectum, have you had any changes in weight, did you feel any lumps, have there been any changes in weight (unintentional chances) and was it only from your bum (it might be a haemarrhoid but just want to check to see if there are any other potential factors). also what did you eat / what medication do you currently take

not dark at all, if you chopped myu arm off nd you saw blood spurting out, that's the colour, it wasn't brown in colour or like black
bleeding was just one off
no pain or feeling of swelling, the poop came out easily no forcing it required
no significant change in weight
no lumps
only from my ass
i ate shitty school food >.> probably just pasta and some curries and a slice of pizza
no medication taken at the time

Quick Reply

Latest