The Student Room Group

sectors with well documented processes

hello!

I am doing an internship in an automotive company and I find it difficult to catch up with the various acronyms and terminology they use.

They have their own complicated processes, with tons of document templates that each has a different acronym and in most cases not a self explanatory one.

There is absolutely no documentation of all these acronyms and processes and the only way to catch up is to just ask all the time.

Is there any way to deal with that?

Also, are there any engineering, finance, consultancy, IB, legal sectors that have documented processes that you can read documentation or receive training and get an understanding? instead of having to ask all the time?

thanks!
Reply 1
Yes, there are
Reply 2
I need replies from people who KNOW what they are talking about.

I have a closed relative who is a doctor and I know that in medicine everything is documented. If it is not, it is probably not valid. There are tons of acronyms in medicine, but all are documented.
Reply 3
Original post by studos
I need replies from people who KNOW what they are talking about.

I have a closed relative who is a doctor and I know that in medicine everything is documented. If it is not, it is probably not valid. There are tons of acronyms in medicine, but all are documented.

Accounting is well documented. You will learn everything you need to know while doing your chartered accountant qualification. All the terms and concepts are learnt there. My uncle, who is a chartered accountant, told me that the chartered accountant qualification teaches you all the terms you need to know to be an accountant- but that you will continue to gain knowledge throughout your career when working with different businesses.
Reply 4
OK but I am not interesting much in Accountancy. Maybe IB, law, consuntancy or other sectors of engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by studos
OK but I am not interesting much in Accountancy. Maybe IB, law, consuntancy or other sectors of engineering.

Definitely not IB or consulting- these are careers where you learn on the job as you gain experience. There's a lot of informal teaching involved as well as the usual formal teaching of financial concepts.

Law is quite well documented because you need to complete qualifications. Maybe ask around in the law section for more info
Original post by studos
hello!

I am doing an internship in an automotive company and I find it difficult to catch up with the various acronyms and terminology they use.

They have their own complicated processes, with tons of document templates that each has a different acronym and in most cases not a self explanatory one.

There is absolutely no documentation of all these acronyms and processes and the only way to catch up is to just ask all the time.

Is there any way to deal with that?

Also, are there any engineering, finance, consultancy, IB, legal sectors that have documented processes that you can read documentation or receive training and get an understanding? instead of having to ask all the time?

thanks!

Investment banking (M&A) is quite well documented because all the banks have a graduate training scheme where you learn everything- no prior technical knowledge is really assumed for the internships. I know from experience.
Original post by Sayed0123
Investment banking (M&A) is quite well documented because all the banks have a graduate training scheme where you learn everything- no prior technical knowledge is really assumed for the internships. I know from experience.

You never finished your ama btw..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
You never finished your ama btw..

Posted from TSR Mobile

you haven't even started uni or worked a single hour in a bank
Original post by studos

Wtf does this have to do with me reminding someone to finish an AMA? Studos, get a grip dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos

Original post by Princepieman
Wtf does this have to do with me reminding someone to finish an AMA? Studos, get a grip dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOAH, Princepieman fires back... what will studos do next? Find out on the next episode of TSR BEEF

(I'll stop now)
Original post by Trapz99
WOAH, Princepieman fires back... what will studos do next? Find out on the next episode of TSR BEEF

(I'll stop now)

Maaaaaaaaad, can't wait, I hope it's better than that walking dead season finale 😒 (Still not over it)
Yes for law, most things are documented. What you would be lacking is the underlying legal knowledge and the experience to know how to put things into practice.
It's normal to go to a bookshop or library if you wnat to find the specific texts for your practice area. The LPC is targeted at procedureal aspects to prepare yourself for practice.

If you dont know what some legal terms are, then its normal to look them up in a legal dictionary or its likely they will be in the appendix of the book you are reading.
Original post by Axlerod
Maaaaaaaaad, can't wait, I hope it's better than that walking dead season finale 😒 (Still not over it)

Don't tell me what happens

...or the next episode of TSR Beef will be between us
Original post by Trapz99
Don't tell me what happens

...or the next episode of TSR Beef will be between us

Hahahahahahah don't worry, I have no idea what happens myself (you'll understand that joke once you watch it 👍🏼)
Original post by studos

savage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending