The Student Room Group

Stressed out with A-levels? Any advice?

I am studying French, English Literature, Sociology and Business.
Does anyone have any general and subject specific advice for me? I haven't kept up with my revision and now I'm wondering if there are any quick revision tips?
Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At this point, its practice.

Try and do as many past papers as you can for your subjects and go over the topics you keep not knowing.

But tbh you should've gone along with content as you went along
Original post by CSL123
Does anyone have any general and subject specific advice for me? I haven't kept up with my revision and now I'm wondering if there are any quick revision tips?

Do you even need to revise for those subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by Lucasium
Do you even need to revise for those subjects?

Of course!
French: learn all grammar, vocab, practice listening, speaking and writing etc.
Literature: read all books in lots of depth, learn all literary devices (there's a lot!), understand how to structure essays and write lots of detail in a short space of time.
Business: keywords, good understanding of different case studies, A LOT of content so you need to memorise a lot (just like with any sciences), learn the right essay skills for business.
Sociology: A LOT of sociologists and theories to remember, essay skills again, key vocab and more.

Unless you have or are studying them, you can't presume that they don't require any work :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Loyale
At this point, its practice.

Try and do as many past papers as you can for your subjects and go over the topics you keep not knowing.

But tbh you should've gone along with content as you went along

There aren't any past papers as they are all new courses...? And that is what I have been doing, but there are just some areas I cannot understand at all.
How would you suggest revising all of the content quick and making sure I understand it well?
Thanks
Reply 5
I'm doing two of the same subjects as you and I'm pretty much in the same position. I'm just trying to do a lot of papers for French, since I've already done the oral, and I have a tutor as well. For English, my class are each picking a time period/era of literature and looking at poetry, prose and drama from then and making notes to share with each other because there is so much wider reading to be done. As for the others I can't say, but my friend is doing sociology and it seems like a hell of a lot of remembering facts and names etc.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by fldem
I'm doing two of the same subjects as you and I'm pretty much in the same position. I'm just trying to do a lot of papers for French, since I've already done the oral, and I have a tutor as well. For English, my class are each picking a time period/era of literature and looking at poetry, prose and drama from then and making notes to share with each other because there is so much wider reading to be done. As for the others I can't say, but my friend is doing sociology and it seems like a hell of a lot of remembering facts and names etc.

Good luck!

That's nice to hear :smile: What exam boards are you on? And my literature class is doing exactly the same but for each poems, researching the contexts of the poets etc.
How did your oral go and do you have any tips?

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by CSL123
That's nice to hear :smile: What exam boards are you on? And my literature class is doing exactly the same but for each poems, researching the contexts of the poets etc.
How did your oral go and do you have any tips?

Thank you

AQA English Literature, we're doing love through the ages and studying Jane Eyre and Othello. I did an EPQ on Keats in the Summer and I'm so glad I did because it's given me a lot of Romantic period literature as back up!:h:

For French I'm on WJEC and the oral went okay actually, I was very nervous but if you do the same exam board then presumably you have a presentation to give? Well I would say just learn it really, really well and then just keep the conversation going and try to ask the examiner a couple of questions too because it's supposed to be like a conversation. If you falter, then they cut you off and the longer you can keep the answer going, the better.
Reply 8
Original post by fldem
AQA English Literature, we're doing love through the ages and studying Jane Eyre and Othello. I did an EPQ on Keats in the Summer and I'm so glad I did because it's given me a lot of Romantic period literature as back up!:h:

For French I'm on WJEC and the oral went okay actually, I was very nervous but if you do the same exam board then presumably you have a presentation to give? Well I would say just learn it really, really well and then just keep the conversation going and try to ask the examiner a couple of questions too because it's supposed to be like a conversation. If you falter, then they cut you off and the longer you can keep the answer going, the better.

We are on the same exam boards :smile: - I am also doing love through the ages for literature. You've made me feel more relaxed for my oral exam now thanks :biggrin: What grades are you predicted?
Reply 9
Original post by CSL123
We are on the same exam boards :smile: - I am also doing love through the ages for literature. You've made me feel more relaxed for my oral exam now thanks :biggrin: What grades are you predicted?

Oh good :smile: The oral is the easiest part really, just think of it as a super chance to show off the French skills you've accumulated over the past two years. My teacher taught us a lot of wasting time phrases such as: 'j'aurais aimé plus de temps pour considérer cette question, mais si je devais y repondre maintenant, je dirais que...'

The examiner might give you a bit of an odd look, but it's such a good way to get your tenses in there haha. As long as you're talking!

What is your presentation about?

I'm predicted A*AAB, in English Lit, History, Philosophy and French respectively, how about you?
Reply 10
Original post by fldem
Oh good :smile: The oral is the easiest part really, just think of it as a super chance to show off the French skills you've accumulated over the past two years. My teacher taught us a lot of wasting time phrases such as: 'j'aurais aimé plus de temps pour considérer cette question, mais si je devais y repondre maintenant, je dirais que...'

The examiner might give you a bit of an odd look, but it's such a good way to get your tenses in there haha. As long as you're talking!

What is your presentation about?

I'm predicted A*AAB, in English Lit, History, Philosophy and French respectively, how about you?

They sound helpful, I've learnt a few too. And I never looked at it in that way haha :smile: . I'm in my AS year but my presentation is unknown, I'll have to choose a random card and prepare it in a set amount of time.
But I am predicted:
A: Literature
A: Sociology
A/A*: Business
B:French
I doubt I will achieve these grades though.
For French: There is a great website called memrise which is free. It will really help your vocab. I went from a U to a B in less than a month by using it during GCSE.
Reply 12
Original post by Shadow Warrior
For French: There is a great website called memrise which is free. It will really help your vocab. I went from a U to a B in less than a month by using it during GCSE.

Thanks, I am going to check it out now :smile:
Original post by CSL123

Lol I don't do any of those so here some general advice
Buy the cgp revision guides
Don't limit yourself to the textbooks as theyre are better resources online which explain better
Get a tutor
Do an hour of revision take a 15 min break and get back to revision. Rinse and repeat
Watch youtube videos on topics you don't understand
Revise in your free periods
Don't do half assed revision ie while talking to your friends
Don't be afraid to take a break
Do a ton of past papers
Make notes on mark schemes
Read examiner reports
Reply 14
Original post by CSL123
They sound helpful, I've learnt a few too. And I never looked at it in that way haha :smile: . I'm in my AS year but my presentation is unknown, I'll have to choose a random card and prepare it in a set amount of time.
But I am predicted:
A: Literature
A: Sociology
A/A*: Business
B:French
I doubt I will achieve these grades though.

Oh you're in AS? Oh gosh, you'll do perfectly then. The AS oral exam is honestly a breeze, just make sure you don't stop talking for prolonged periods of time, otherwise the examiner will think you're just reciting (if you even have an external examiner?) When I did the AS last year I got an A in the speaking, just make sure you really study the cards when you get your 20 minutes or whatever it is and then be sure to really compare the two pictures. Also, accent is really important, so hopefully yours is good :h:

Best of luck with all your exams!
I do Business Studies and there isn't too much hard revision to be done in all fairness. Make sure you know how to write using a PEEL (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link) structure and your essay-style questions should go well. Also, make sure you know how to identify key information by skim reading (doing past paper questions helps with this - even though it's a new spec).
Also make sure you know the formulae as they are very important (however a lot of them can be put down to common sense).
I'd also recommend spending some time revising over and drawing up some decision trees, Blake-Mouton grids, revising the Tannenbaum and Schmidt continuum and other new terminology that can't be understood through common sense.
If you do this you'll be absolutely fine in business and good luck with your revision and exams!
Reply 16
Original post by fldem
Oh you're in AS? Oh gosh, you'll do perfectly then. The AS oral exam is honestly a breeze, just make sure you don't stop talking for prolonged periods of time, otherwise the examiner will think you're just reciting (if you even have an external examiner?) When I did the AS last year I got an A in the speaking, just make sure you really study the cards when you get your 20 minutes or whatever it is and then be sure to really compare the two pictures. Also, accent is really important, so hopefully yours is good :h:

Best of luck with all your exams!

That's really relieving to hear! :biggrin: I do have an external examiner and I will do! I am very nervous, although my speaking is quite good compared to the other sections. Thanks though :h:
Reply 17
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Lol I don't do any of those so here some general advice
Buy the cgp revision guides
Don't limit yourself to the textbooks as theyre are better resources online which explain better
Get a tutor
Do an hour of revision take a 15 min break and get back to revision. Rinse and repeat
Watch youtube videos on topics you don't understand
Revise in your free periods
Don't do half assed revision ie while talking to your friends
Don't be afraid to take a break
Do a ton of past papers
Make notes on mark schemes
Read examiner reports

Good advice thank you! I needed to hear that lol :laugh:
Reply 18
Original post by afromaths
I do Business Studies and there isn't too much hard revision to be done in all fairness. Make sure you know how to write using a PEEL (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link) structure and your essay-style questions should go well. Also, make sure you know how to identify key information by skim reading (doing past paper questions helps with this - even though it's a new spec).
Also make sure you know the formulae as they are very important (however a lot of them can be put down to common sense).
I'd also recommend spending some time revising over and drawing up some decision trees, Blake-Mouton grids, revising the Tannenbaum and Schmidt continuum and other new terminology that can't be understood through common sense.
If you do this you'll be absolutely fine in business and good luck with your revision and exams!

Great advice too thanks :smile:
I know that it's quite easy to understand, but as the exams are approaching I am starting to stress a lot! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by fldem

Ooh I'm on WJEC for french too! Was it your AS oral or A2? sorry for butting in!

Quick Reply