The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by banterboy
probably, but this is an administrative quibble, not sexism.

How often do you hear of boys being sent home because they roll up their sleeves and show their 'distracting' forearms? It's downright sexism.
Original post by Banana00
How often do you hear of boys being sent home because they roll up their sleeves and show their 'distracting' forearms? It's downright sexism.

legs and arms are hardly the same thing. If a boy were to cut his trousers past his knees he'd be sent home.

And girls don't get sent home for rolling up their sleeves either so it's a ridiculous comparison.
Reply 42
Original post by leavingthecity
"Do you have a boyfriend?" in 2 interviews to date.

"Enjoy your 20's because it's downhill for women after 30." From my boss.

"I will have you." From a different boss.

Christ, that's awful
It's amazing that a school's response is to send a pupil home when you can just ask them to roll down their skirt or give them a spare one (if it is that offensive). If the girl refuses, just give her a minus point (or whatever your school does).

Fortunately my (all-girls) school is sensible about uniform issues and just makes girls lower their skirts or suggests that they buy new ones. And anyway, the girls who roll up their skirts are the same ones who will hoist them up again straight after the teacher telling them off has walked around the corner! It's a waste of time to bother about these things on a normal school day.

Exactly! My school is basically saying they value what we wear instead of our education by sending us home smh. But when I say this people try and find a way to disagree with me and say "We need to teach young girls to be modest blah blah blah"
(edited 8 years ago)
The boys weren't breaking the rules, your sister was.

Is a skirt just above the kneel to sexual for you to handle?
Original post by leavingthecity
"Do you have a boyfriend?" in 2 interviews to date.

"Enjoy your 20's because it's downhill for women after 30." From my boss.

"I will have you." From a different boss.

Lapdancing is not the most professional business
Original post by loveleest
Exactly! My school is basically saying they value what we wear instead of our education by sending us home smh. But when I say this people try and find a way to disagree with me and say "We need yo teach young girls to be modest blah blah blah"

I only wish I could rep you again!
legs and arms are hardly the same thing. If a boy were to cut his trousers past his knees he'd be sent home.

And girls don't get sent home for rolling up their sleeves either so it's a ridiculous comparison.

How are they different? Please explain your incorrect logic.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My sister was sent home from school because her skirt was too short and distracting for the boys.

Sad that a guy's education seems to matter more in those cases.

Matters more than what? A completely non-beneficial sartorial choice of a girl who is supposed to be abiding by a uniform code anyway? Yes, I think you'll find it does.

I got in trouble for having my shirt untucked one time. Down with the matriarchy! Topple the oppressors!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Lapdancing is not the most professional business

ETA: am not a sex worker.
Is a skirt just above the kneel to sexual for you to handle?

Nothing is too sexual for me to handle, but when i was a kid a skirt riding up (since you're looking at girls legs when they sit down) would be quite distracting, yeah.
How are they different? Please explain your incorrect logic.

how is a leg and an arm different? wow tsr reaches a new low.
Nothing is too sexual for me to handle, but when i was a kid a skirt riding up (since you're looking at girls legs when they sit down) would be quite distracting, yeah.

You was interested in a woman's body as a little kid? bit weird, but um okay.

Well teenage boys should be able to control their own sexual urges and learn how to stop viewing women's legs as sexual to the point that they can't concentrate in class.
So because boys view women's legs as sexual, this should result as a school girl missing out on her education for wearing a skirt 1cm aboveher knee? That doesn't sound quite fair too me.

In the real working world women would not be sacked for wearing short skirts. I see teachers at my school with skirts half the lenght that the girls in my school get sent home for. How is that fair? Are we going to go to the teachers and tell them to "dress modestly?"
how is a leg and an arm different? wow tsr reaches a new low.

They are just limbs.

Spoiler

You was interested in a woman's body as a little kid? bit weird, but um okay.

Well teenage boys should be able to control their own sexual urges and learn how to stop viewing women's legs as sexual to the point that they can't concentrate in class.
So because boys view women's legs as sexual, this should result as a school girl missing out on her education for wearing a skirt 1cm aboveher knee? That doesn't sound quite fair too me.

In the real working world women would not be sacked for wearing short skirts. I see teachers at my school with skirts half the lenght that the girls in my school get sent home for. How is that fair? Are we going to go to the teachers and tell them to "dress modestly?"

SO your solution to puberty and boy's education needs is to "make them stop finding girls body's attractive". Got it.

Can hardly comprehend the entitlement here. The universe does not let me where whatever I want in an academic setting. I have to follow rules. im so oppressssedd!

Meanwhile, in reality, men don't have an ounce of the clothing choose women are afforded in the workplace, and it's a suit and tie in all weathers. And, in case you haven't noticed, trousers are lower down than skirts, so...your complaint that you aren't allowed to show your thighs hardly holds water when we're nto even allowed to show our calves.

Seriously grow up, and stop expecting everything to go your way because you're a pampered little princess and the universe must be just so.

A teenage boy is a bubbling socially inept bag of distracting hormones. Telling him he 'should be able to control his urges' to the point of not even being distracted is completely idiotic.

Do you realise how much like a child you sound, complaining that it's so unfair that a girl got into trouble for breaching the school's rules just a little bit?

edit:

My school is basically saying they value what we wear instead of our education by sending us home smh.

Oh right. Sometimes I forget that some posters on here actually are children.

You'll realise in a few years just how silly it sounds to say things like 'well, the teachers get to do x, so why can't we?!'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My sister was sent home from school because her skirt was too short and distracting for the boys.

I can't believe they would do that to the boys... Deny them any chance of pleasure smh
I'm from a South Asian background, where do I start? :lol:
It's mostly from my parents and other South Asian peers, but some older teachers can be quite sexist too lol
Girls make me feel uncomfortable when I look at their boobs. They're like 'my eyes are up here', like wtf I'm not retarded.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest