The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Firstly I did say most people which means there are individual cases where this doesn't apply but for the most part it does.

I get what you mean. But I was talking about it in the sense of when you send something that's meant for multiple people at once (i.e. 1 to 10+). When something is sent to a large group, you're more or less just attention seeking (again, most of the time, not always). Obviously when you send something to a specific person or a small group it's not always attention seeking but even then it can be.

I'm not expecting you to agree either obv. No one likes to accept that they fall in the category of an attention seeker and I'm not calling you one either. I'm assuming that you seem to think that you are an attention seeker yourself going by what I said since you're trying defend it in a way

No but you're contending that the major purpose of snapchat is to send stuff that's meant for multiple people at once. And that's true with regards to stories but in general individual-to-individual snaps tend to dominate the 'main' function of snapchat (ie the non story part).

I know full well I'm an attention seeker and I don't think it's a negative lol. There's many variations, but eg, if I ever put up a pic of (basic as hell) a cute baby cousin then it's only with the attention to draw attention from people who normally find this stuff cute. And once they initiate, you can lead the convo where you want to. You follow?
Original post by Parties in LA
No but you're contending that the major purpose of snapchat is to send stuff that's meant for multiple people at once. And that's true with regards to stories but in general individual-to-individual snaps tend to dominate the 'main' function of snapchat (ie the non story part).

I know full well I'm an attention seeker and I don't think it's a negative lol. There's many variations, but eg, if I ever put up a pic of (basic as hell) a cute baby cousin then it's only with the attention to draw attention from people who normally find this stuff cute. And once they initiate, you can lead the convo where you want to. You follow?

Oh, I wasn't aware that SC's main use is for 1 to 1 (never had SC lol). But if we put snapchat aside, any form of social media that can be used to get to a large audience via 1 post/message is driven by some form of attention seeking users. Agree? And that's basically the main point I'm getting at. Social media = attention/validation/approval platform

Lol I follow you. I didn't say that there was a specific purpose for attention seeking, I was referring to it as a whole. You could be doing it to start a convo, get opinions (usually this is just to be talked about again), or even to advertise which is obv a good strategy but they still all fall in to seeking attention of some sort.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Oh, I wasn't aware that SC's main use is for 1 to 1 (never had SC lol). But if we put snapchat aside, any form of social media that can be used to get to a large audience via 1 post/message is driven by some form of attention seeking users. Agree? And that's basically the main point I'm getting at. Social media = attention/validation/approval platform

Lol I follow you. I didn't say that there was a specific purpose for attention seeking, I was referring to it as a whole. You could be doing it to start a convo, get opinions (usually this is just to be talked about again), or even to advertise which is obv a good strategy but they still all fall in to seeking attention of some sort.

On SC when you take a snap (picture), you can do one of two things, or do both: send it to one or multiple users of your choice, which they can only view once; or upload it as a 'story', viewable by all your contacts for an unlimited number of times over a 24 hour period. The fact that you can have lengthy conversations with people via pictures (and captions, and also by plain messaging) on SC differentiates it from FB/Twitter, and it's a hybrid messaging/social media app. That's where it's struck gold imo, the hybridity. You can attention seek if you want or you can just talk to/share with those close to you, it's a bit unlike twitter and fb in that way.

Yeah tbh I was just explaining my motives and unashamedness re attention seeking. And yeah social media in general is definitely geared towards validation, never disagreed with that.
*intention
On SC when you take a snap (picture), you can do one of two things, or do both: send it to one or multiple users of your choice, which they can only view once; or upload it as a 'story', viewable by all your contacts for an unlimited number of times over a 24 hour period. The fact that you can have lengthy conversations with people via pictures (and captions, and also by plain messaging) on SC differentiates it from FB/Twitter, and it's a hybrid messaging/social media app. That's where it's struck gold imo, the hybridity. You can attention seek if you want or you can just talk to/share with those close to you, it's a bit unlike twitter and fb in that way.

Yeah tbh I was just explaining my motives and unashamedness re attention seeking. And yeah social media in general is definitely geared towards validation, never disagreed with that.

I know how it works btw but thanks for explaining anyway lol. I'm not big on social media myself - only have WhatsApp which is more than enough (never had any other).

It's cool man. I'm not fussed about the people that use it anyway
Sent off 27 job applications this weekend. I hate job hunting.
Original post by sr90
Sent off 27 job applications this weekend. I hate job hunting.

Suppose you're from the East Coast, how would you feel about flying the flag for the West Coast rap scene?
@Parties in LA

did you have S Carters or RBK G Units back in the day lel?
Original post by swirly
Suppose you're from the East Coast, how would you feel about flying the flag for the West Coast rap scene?

Tupac > BIG
Original post by sr90
Tupac > BIG

That's probably the only opinion you have on hip hop and it's a bad one FFS
Original post by swirly
@Parties in LA

did you have S Carters or RBK G Units back in the day lel?

Na but I know plenty who copped the G Unit creps.

Found out this rich bitch I know has Yeezys. Guided her away from being a ting and into a friendship a few months ago. Regret
Wack repetitive convo topic is wack and repetitive.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
That's probably the only opinion you have on hip hop and it's a bad one FFS

Yeh pretty much :lol: Haven't listened to either in a veryyyy long time
Who's watching GS vs Spurs
Reply 1774
Who's watching GS vs Spurs

I am, Curry is just ridiculous. Did you just see that shot at the end of the 3rd quarter?

Want GSW to win so they can beat Bulls record.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I am, Curry is just ridiculous. Did you just see that shot at the end of the 3rd quarter?

Want GSW to win so they can beat Bulls record.

Yeah I'm a LeBron fan but hard to dislike Curry. Much to like about both GSW and the Spurs tbh, but I wanted them to win and get the record next game too. Fingers crossed.
Reply 1776
Yeah I'm a LeBron fan but hard to dislike Curry. Much to like about both GSW and the Spurs tbh, but I wanted them to win and get the record next game too. Fingers crossed.

Yeah. Spurs might end the season with a 40-1 home record too.

LeBron's starting to fade tbh but Cleveland will still be in the finals because the East are too weak.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah. Spurs might end the season with a 40-1 home record too.

LeBron's starting to fade tbh but Cleveland will still be in the finals because the East are too weak.

Nah he's got 2 rings in him still. Dunno if with Cavs though. I watch about 5-10 non-playoff games all season though lol
got to say, I am loving having an un-regular work schedule.

Every since graduating I have been on roughly a 9-5 in both jobs.. but now My current shedule for the next 3 months (bar gaining any new contracts, which will be added in)

Monday - day off
Tuesday - 9am-7pm
Wednesday - day off
Thursday - 5pm-10pm
Friday - 5pm-10pm
Saturday - 9am-10pm
Sunday - 6pm-7pm

Total hours: 37h (not including work at home)

Pretty much the same hours as I used to do, but feels so much more relaxing now.. bassically 3 whole days off, as sunday only has 1 hour. and I actually like working evenings,as I get far more usefull things done now during theday on thursday/friday, then I used to do when got home from work at 5-6pm

Lifes pretty good!
@Parties in LA @Kim-Jong-Illest

6 God's bar in Aston Martin Music is one of his top 5 of all time.

thoughts.

Latest