The Student Room Group

Can In still get into a good uni with these A-levels?

I'm in year 11 and have just applied for college to do English lit & lang (didn't offer them separate), government and politics, religious studies and media studies. My ideal career would either be an English teacher or a magazine journalist and I'd really like to teach abroad at some point. I really want to get into a good university but I know many prefer more traditional subjects such as maths, history, geography and science but I've never had an interest in that type of thing and don't want a career involving them. Is it possible for me to get into a good uni with these A-levels?? The majority of my target grades for GCSE are A*-A (apart from science which is a B)
What do you want to do at university?
Original post by Mollypowell
I'm in year 11 and have just applied for college to do English lit & lang (didn't offer them separate), government and politics, religious studies and media studies. My ideal career would either be an English teacher or a magazine journalist and I'd really like to teach abroad at some point. I really want to get into a good university but I know many prefer more traditional subjects such as maths, history, geography and science but I've never had an interest in that type of thing and don't want a career involving them. Is it possible for me to get into a good uni with these A-levels?? The majority of my target grades for GCSE are A*-A (apart from science which is a B)

All unis care is about your final grades! Do you actually enjoy the a levels youve chosen? Thats the question you should be asking yourself. Also you shouldn't worry too much, your a level choices aren't set in stone. You can always change courses in the first minth of the school year and there is nothing wrong with it :smile:
I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
It's a good idea to know what sort of course you want to do at uni. Is it an English course? Is it politics, is it x or y or z etc.? From there, work out roughly what subjects you'll need. Judging by the sounds of it, for an English Degree, I would imagine your subjects are good. They're nice and wordy. Uni's like to see some of those subjects, but the subjects you've picked will likely be more relevant than, say, A2 physics for an English Degree. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Rhythmical
What do you want to do at university?

English
English

You don't have any control over it, but check when you get round to applying that universities will accept the combined course for the English degree you are looking at. You will certainly find many that do, but there will be the occasional one which will prefer the single subject A level, so look in the small print and apply to the ones which don't. There's plenty of choice, so it shouldn't be a problem, but keep an eye out. It's usually Eng lit courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
English

That's what I want to do too. I'm doing Media but it is coursework based and I regret the subject because I find it boring. However I'm doing English Language and English Literature separately so keep an eye out on the requirements for university courses that may require it separately. I'd recommend applying for an English BA than English Literature degree as it will suit you better. As for universities, you can get into good ones but it will depend on your final grades.
That's what I want to do too. I'm doing Media but it is coursework based and I regret the subject because I find it boring. However I'm doing English Language and English Literature separately so keep an eye out on the requirements for university courses that may require it separately. I'd recommend applying for an English BA than English Literature degree as it will suit you better. As for universities, you can get into good ones but it will depend on your final grades.

In general universities prefer English Literature the most. But when it comes to the combined Lang and Lit course and just the single Language course... they prefer you take the combined. So I'd say with you combined course you SHOULD be okay if you want to do English at university.
Original post by johannarebecca7
In general universities prefer English Literature the most. But when it comes to the combined Lang and Lit course and just the single Language course... they prefer you take the combined. So I'd say with you combined course you SHOULD be okay if you want to do English at university.

Yeah I'm fine as I'm doing the two English subjects separately but OP is doing combined and felt they would be at a disadvantage which is not true and they can easily do an English degree.
Reply 9

Yeah they're okay.

Media studies IMO is only a problem if you're applying for a science based degree. Obviously you don't want to do that, so you'll be fine!

It appears as if media is you're fourth A-level, so that's even better!

I haven't looked into uni courses in much detail but isn't a BA what you do after a standard degree? What are the benefits of doing that first? Thanks :smile:
I haven't looked into uni courses in much detail but isn't a BA what you do after a standard degree? What are the benefits of doing that first? Thanks :smile:

Hi. A BA is a degree and it is the Bachelor of Arts as English is part of the arts. It's just that an English BA incorporates both Literature and Language in one.

Quick Reply

Latest