The Student Room Group

Exams

I love science but hate the thought of exams any tips?
Reply 1
Don't think of your exams as a separate thing to your knowledge/passion of science. Think of it as a way to explore more ways science can be applied in real life i.e exam scenarios.
Things like that come with practice, do as many past papers as you can to get more confident in exams and you feel more prepared.
Good luck for your exams! :woo:
Reply 2
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Give up on life

Thanks for the useful advice!
I'm assuming this is for a GCSE?

Record yourself saying the content and listen back to it when travelling.

Make sure you content before you attempt any past paper questions

Use keywords in your answers, that's what gets you the marks

Do a good amount of past papers, if you complete them all attempt the IGCSE ones

Definitely mark every paper you do, if you are struggling to mark it ask your teacher to do it for you

See where you have gone wrong and look to improve on the section for the next paper you do

Learn to enjoy the exam as much as the content.

Give up on life

That's not nice. :colonhash:
Original post by Ellie119564
Thanks for the useful advice!

Lol I'm sorry but everyone hates exams you just have to deal with it.
Reply 5
Original post by aamirac
Don't think of your exams as a separate thing to your knowledge/passion of science. Think of it as a way to explore more ways science can be applied in real life i.e exam scenarios.
Things like that come with practice, do as many past papers as you can to get more confident in exams and you feel more prepared.
Good luck for your exams! :woo:

Thanks you so much, I'll try not thinking about them because even the thought of them now stresses me out
Original post by undercxver

Do a good amount of past papers, if you complete them all attempt the IGCSE ones

Definitely mark every paper you do, if you are struggling to mark it ask your teacher to do it for you

See where you have gone wrong and look to improve on the section for the next paper you do

I was just kidding! 😨
Reply 7
Lol I'm sorry but everyone hates exams you just have to deal with it.

I know that I was just asking for any tips to get me through them that's all.
Reply 8
Original post by undercxver

Thanks for the advice I will try some of these out tomorrow
I know that I was just asking for any tips to get me through them that's all.

Be prepared is the most important one. Make sure you've revised enough and do a ton of past papers so you aren't thrown off by any questions
Eat a healthy breakfast such as porridge, not only will you perform better, the slow release carb ensures you are focused all the way though
Take a deep breath before taking the paper
Listen to music before the exam
Read your flash cards
Take a bunch of tissues, my palms always get sweaty
Take your favourite pen
Ask for a sheet of paper so you can put down ideas you may forget
Do your best and pass :smile:
Reply 10
Be prepared is the most important one. Make sure you've revised enough and do a ton of past papers so you aren't thrown off by any questions
Eat a healthy breakfast such as porridge, not only will you perform better, the slow release carb ensures you are focused all the way though
Take a deep breath before taking the paper
Listen to music before the exam
Read your flash cards
Take a bunch of tissues, my palms always get sweaty
Take your favourite pen
Ask for a sheet of paper so you can put down ideas you may forget
Do your best and pass :smile:

Thank you so much, I've already started to eat healthy and found that it does make a huge difference. I feel like I have more energy throughout the day also giving me more energy for revision. Thanks again for the tips will be trying them out, I have put a lot of pressure on myself to get atleast 6A* overall, already having an A* in maths. The thought of trying to get another 5A* at least gets me worried.
Thank you so much, I've already started to eat healthy and found that it does make a huge difference. I feel like I have more energy throughout the day also giving me more energy for revision. Thanks again for the tips will be trying them out, I have put a lot of pressure on myself to get atleast 6A* overall, already having an A* in maths. The thought of trying to get another 5A* at least gets me worried.

Lol your doing GCSE? They're piss easy! You can do it, I know you can! :smile:
Reply 12
Lol your doing GCSE? They're piss easy! You can do it, I know you can! :smile:

Yeah I am and I know compared to A level they are considered easy, but if they were really that easy surely everyone would come out with A* then? I always seem to over complicate my answers, that's what my teachers and tutors say 😂
Yeah I am and I know compared to A level they are considered easy, but if they were really that easy surely everyone would come out with A* then? I always seem to over complicate my answers, that's what my teachers and tutors say 😂

Lol even when I was doing GCSE I found it easy. Not everyone aces it cause they're too lazy and naive. It's always best to put down the simplest answer unless it's an English exam then you ******** all the way through 😂
Reply 14
Lol even when I was doing GCSE I found it easy. Not everyone aces it cause they're too lazy and naive. It's always best to put down the simplest answer unless it's an English exam then you ******** all the way through 😂

Some people could actually struggle with GCSES doesn't make them lazy? Could do loads of revision and still struggle.
Some people could actually struggle with GCSES doesn't make them lazy? Could do loads of revision and still struggle.

Then aren't revising smart then. GCSE is 100% fact recall. If you struggle to remember some facts then of course your going to struggle. But also some people don't know how to apply the knowledge that they have so I guess your right there. Thats why it's worth doing past papers
Reply 16
Then aren't revising smart then. GCSE is 100% fact recall. If you struggle to remember some facts then of course your going to struggle. But also some people don't know how to apply the knowledge that they have so I guess your right there. Thats why it's worth doing past papers

I'm not trying to have a go, just stating some people really struggle that's all.
I'm not trying to have a go, just stating some people really struggle that's all.

Ah fair enough I wasn't having a go either 😂
How did you revise and how long before the exams started did you start revision?

Ah fair enough I wasn't having a go either 😂
Original post by Tiara006
How did you revise and how long before the exams started did you start revision?

For my gcses? My revision was terrible 😂I started about 2 and a half months before the exams. I used those cgp revision guides and made notes off them and then I realised they were terrible for the triple science modules and I started using the textbooks. I did tons of past papers and for maths I watched tons of videos of people doing past papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending