The Student Room Group

What's the highest possible paid profession I can get into with 4A*s at A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
Your wish is my command :adore:

*Tons of peanuts :lol:

Now go and make me Prime Minister - shoo!
Original post by zayn008
You'd certainly stand out from the crowd. Academic poetical is what they look for and 4A*s is perfect way to prove you have that potential
I know they look for academic potential. But I'm saying it wouldn't be uncommon for them to see
Original post by zXcodeXz
Don't they usually take in like straight A* students?
I doubt it's the majority, but certainly students like that aren't rare. Some As would probably work too

Original post by Serine Soul
*Tons of peanuts :lol:

Now go and make me Prime Minister - shoo!

Ruined it :frown:
Original post by Squishy•
Yeah basically If the Alevels are all sciences and maths and were 4 A*s; what is the highest paid profession I can get into?
Guys I'm obviously meaning what degree->area of work. I used the 4 A*s to imply that it would be with science a levels (not something like a degree in sociology) and that I'd meet the requirements for university.

I am in the last year of PPE at Oxford and from a veteran perspective I can tell you that you, as someone clearly good in STEM, should only think about doing STEM.

Don't do Law, as some dreamers here have recommended you, as it is simply not worth it at all in economic terms. Law degree does not mean you'll ever become a lawyer; in fact you have a higher chance of doing so after getting a good first class in a subject you are good at from a good university and doing GDL and LPC. Then again, being a solicitor or barrister is really not worth it. Too much work for too little gains.

Don't do Economics - you can do anything related to economics (i.e. investment banking / insurance / professional services) with a STEM degree and have a higher chance of getting the job. Majority of investment bankers are Physics / Engineering students.

I'd recommend that you do a BSc Computer Science at a good university - you'll have no problem getting a financially rewarding job anywhere in the world as the demand for CompSci far exceeds the supply. Same for BSc Engineering (most types, even environmental/civil engineering). So if you do Chemical Engineering you'll do very well. Again, aim for the best universities with your grades so Oxbridge/ ICL/ UCL/ Warwick/ Bath/ Bristol etc.
Reply 23
Original post by zXcodeXz
Don't they usually take in like straight A* students?

There's more straight A* pupils than places, so have fun competing with other straight A* people lols
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Student403
I know they look for academic potential. But I'm saying it wouldn't be uncommon for them to see

Wait 4A*s is like a norm at Oxford?? :bawling: :rip:
Original post by Yammy
There's straight A* pupils than places, so have fun competing with other straight A* people lols

Lol that's true!
Reply 26
@Student403
Btw thanks for the rep :biggrin:
Original post by William Pitt
I am in the last year of PPE at Oxford and from a veteran perspective I can tell you that you, as someone clearly good in STEM, should only think about doing STEM.

Don't do Law, as some dreamers here have recommended you, as it is simply not worth it at all in economic terms. Law degree does not mean you'll ever become a lawyer; in fact you have a higher chance of doing so after getting a good first class in a subject you are good at from a good university and doing GDL and LPC. Then again, being a solicitor or barrister is really not worth it. Too much work for too little gains.

Don't do Economics - you can do anything related to economics (i.e. investment banking / insurance / professional services) with a STEM degree and have a higher chance of getting the job. Majority of investment bankers are Physics / Engineering students.

I'd recommend that you do a BSc Computer Science at a good university - you'll have no problem getting a financially rewarding job anywhere in the world as the demand for CompSci far exceeds the supply. Same for BSc Engineering (most types, even environmental/civil engineering). So if you do Chemical Engineering you'll do very well. Again, aim for the best universities with your grades so Oxbridge/ ICL/ UCL/ Warwick/ Bath/ Bristol etc.

This dude knows what he's on about.

+1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prostitution. I've heard you need to be good at both O and A-level.
Original post by uberteknik

12/10 comment
Original post by Princepieman
This dude knows what he's on about.

+1

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL! Are you planning on doing a FAQ article on how to get into Investment Banking? :ahee:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DeadEnd_96
LOL! Are you planning on doing a Q & A on how to get into Investment Banking? :ahee:

Yeah, gonna get some of my friends to give an overview of their experiences thus far at spring weeks and internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by uberteknik

do you need work experience? :ahee:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Investment banking? So maybe Economics?

What do you need to study at University for Investment banking?
Original post by Ayaz789

Anything.. Within reason.

Could be French, English, Computer Science, Econ, Accounting and Finance, Engineering etc.. Everyone receives the same extensive training when they start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789

When I said 'So maybe Economics?', I was talking about the degree.
Original post by Princepieman
Anything.. Within reason.

Could be French, English, Computer Science, Econ, Accounting and Finance, Engineering etc.. Everyone receives the same extensive training when they start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if i study Maths at University , can i become 1?
Original post by Ayaz789
So if i study Maths at University , can i become 1?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thanks!:smile:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
do you need work experience? :ahee:

No, but good contacts will help. After that, it's marketing and sales.

Quick Reply

Latest