The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Being told that I'm not allowed to run for Equality Representative because I identify as a man
Original post by Serine Soul
Umm my eyes are up here thank you

I know my anatomy, you know, I could even find your mouth if I had to.

Spoiler

Original post by EricPiphany
I know my anatomy, you know, I could even find your mouth if I had to.

Spoiler

Typical men :colonhash:
Original post by Serine Soul
Typical men :colonhash:

lol
Reply 84
So back in Year 9,everyone chose what they wanted to do tech wise ( food tech,graphics,wood tech, textiles) and unsurprisingly I and the majority chose foodtech and woodtech. cos there was no space left in either, i was dumped in textiles where i spent 6 months toiling on a shitty handbag- the teacher tried to cheer me up calling it a "manbag".and the girls kept critiquing my vision. and to add insult to injury, all my mates roasted and took the absolute piss of the situation - a 13 year old asian guy getting mollycoddled by wannabee fashion designers.
Reply 85
Original post by IFoundWonderland
General objectification

Belief that I can't do certain things (even as small as carrying boxes at work ffs - mate I can do that and I'm wearing heels)

Assumption that I'm dumb and disinterested in things like politics :rolleyes:

Assumption that I'm incapable of humour

Assumption that I'll get upset over minute things and react emotionally and negatively

Belief that my bum is there for everyone to play with

Belief that I'll take phrases like "I'd **** her" from strangers on the tube as a compliment

Assumption that I'd like a strange man who spoke to me on the bus to walk me home

Assumption that I'll give my phone number out like it's the Big Issue

The list goes on :rolleyes:

It may be crass but how can it be taken as anything other than a compliment? He's saying you're attractive.
Original post by difeo
It may be crass but how can it be taken as anything other than a compliment? He's saying you're attractive.

:undefined:rolleyes the same could be said about rape?

It came from a child and he and his brother laughed about it for a while.

I've been through enough. I don't need children only viewing me as a sexual object too. Because that's essentially what it is.
Reply 87
:rolleyes: the same could be said about rape?

It came from a child and he and his brother laughed about it for a while.

I've been through enough. I don't need children only viewing me as a sexual object too. Because that's essentially what it is.

I suppose it could be said about rape too, although that's not as clear cut because there's elements like power and opportunity in that case.

"I'd **** her" is just a ruder version of "I think she's attractive" which seems like a clear compliment to me. Even if the receiver feels the offensiveness outweighs the compliment.
Original post by difeo
I suppose it could be said about rape too, although that's not as clear cut because there's elements like power and opportunity in that case.

"I'd **** her" is just a ruder version of "I think she's attractive" which seems like a clear compliment to me. Even if the receiver feels the offensiveness outweighs the compliment.

Why is it OK for it to be a veiled compliment in one case but not in the other?

The offensiveness outweighs the compliment in both cases.
Reply 89

I didn't say that? Rape could also be considered a compliment (as it suggests they think you're attractive), but to a smaller extent due to all the other factors involved in it (i.e. rapists don't rape people purely on attractiveness).

and no I'm obviously not saying rape isn't a bad thing, before someone says that
Original post by difeo
I didn't say that? Rape could also be considered a compliment (as it suggests they think you're attractive), but to a smaller extent due to all the other factors involved in it (i.e. rapists don't rape people purely on attractiveness).

and no I'm obviously not saying rape isn't a bad thing, before someone says that

You implied that owing to its complimentary undertone, "I'd **** her" is an appropriate thing to say about someone in hearing distance of that person. You also said that rape could also be considered complimentary. Why is one bad but the other not, based on these grounds? They are both veiled compliments.

Imo, compliments should be forthright. They should not make people feel sad, vulnerable and objectified.
Reply 91
You implied that owing to its complimentary undertone, "I'd **** her" is an appropriate thing to say about someone in hearing distance of that person. You also said that rape could also be considered complimentary. Why is one bad but the other not, based on these grounds? They are both veiled compliments.

Imo, compliments should be forthright. They should not make people feel sad, vulnerable and objectified.

I don't think I did imply it's appropriate to say. The complimentary undertone is outweighed by the bad stuff, people shouldn't go around saying they'd **** people within earshot of that person. But there is a compliment in there, that was my point.

perhaps this is all semantics and we're basically saying the same thing
Original post by difeo
I don't think I did imply it's appropriate to say. The complimentary undertone is outweighed by the bad stuff, people shouldn't go around saying they'd **** people within earshot of that person. But there is a compliment in there, that was my point.

perhaps this is all semantics and we're basically saying the same thing

You said it can't be taken as anything but a compliment......

Which means I was wrong to perceive it negatively because it is nothing more than a compliment. I realise that you're withdrawing this initial point; at least we're on the same page now.
Reply 93
You said it can't be taken as anything but a compliment......

Which means I was wrong to perceive it negatively because it is nothing more than a compliment. I realise that you're withdrawing this initial point; at least we're on the same page now.

Bad wording really, I meant more like "how can it not be taken as a compliment".
Original post by difeo
Bad wording really, I meant more like "how can it not be taken as a compliment".

Because it is offensive and suggests that all the guy sees when he looks at me is a good ****????
Women always grope my ass and send me flirtatious messages. They only want me for my meatstick

Also I was at a womens house once and i had trodden in dog poo and she immediately became hostile to me and told me i wasnt coming in her house
Original post by Platopus

Oops went and ate it anyway...

Bringing down the patriarchy one bite at a time
Reply 97
Because it is offensive and suggests that all the guy sees when he looks at me is a good ****????

It can have a complimentary aspect and an offensive aspect. Well yeah tbh when all you know about someone is what they look like, the main thing you can think is whether they're attractive, which is a polite version of "I'd **** them".
Original post by difeo
It can have a complimentary aspect and an offensive aspect. Well yeah tbh when all you know about someone is what they look like, the main thing you can think is whether they're attractive, which is a polite version of "I'd **** them".

Idk about you, but my brain isn't so grossly underdevoloped that I'm incapable of considering the two independently of each other. I can think someone is attractive without wanting them to bang me against the nearest wall.

The offensiveness outweighs the compliment in both cases.

They can both be a compliment, but one is utterly benign and the other is rape. So. Kinda being overly dramatic comparing someone finding you attractive and rape. To say the least.

Quick Reply

Latest