The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what is a sick room

what
Reply 2
A room for ill people to rest in. :wink:
I think it would be feasible for huge multinational corporations, but not for small companies, e.g. those that turnover <£500k/yr.
But when you're sick, would you even want to eat?
Reply 5
Original post by thegodofgod
I think it would be feasible for huge multinational corporations, but not for small companies, e.g. those that turnover <£500k/yr.

Yet, ironically, many huge multinational corporations choose not to provide the facilities I mentioned at the start of this thread. :colonhash: :unimpressed:
Original post by Roger-Smith
Yet, ironically, many huge multinational corporations choose not to provide the facilities I mentioned at the start of this thread. :colonhash: :unimpressed:

Yup, this is a real shame - perhaps companies employing >25 FTE employees should be forced to have a sick room? (Similar to the threshold for plastic carrier bag charges).
Reply 7
Original post by Rhythmical
But when you're sick, would you even want to eat?

The sick room and restaurant would be completely separate from each other. :smile:
The sick room and restaurant would be completely separate from each other. :smile:

Whilst it makes sense, the idea, it could be quite expensive and imagine the cost with hiring a medical assistant too. And finding space to create a sick room too. It'll work with big multinational companies depending on how they do it.
Reply 9
Whilst it makes sense, the idea, it could be quite expensive and imagine the cost with hiring a medical assistant too. And finding space to create a sick room too. It'll work with big multinational companies depending on how they do it.

Like Microsoft or Google for example?
Like Microsoft or Google for example?

Maybe but shouldn't they provide all that anyways?
Reply 11
Maybe but shouldn't they provide all that anyways?

:yep:

But should companies like food packing factories have such facilities? My last job was at a food packing factory and all the canteen room was, was benches for eating pack ups and some vending machines selling junk food. :colonhash: :unimpressed:
:yep:

But should companies like food packing factories have such facilities? My last job was at a food packing factory and all the canteen room was, was benches for eating pack ups and some vending machines selling junk food. :colonhash: :unimpressed:

That would make people more sick though with that food.
I think meals during work hours for lunch breaks should be offered at some form of subsidy in large businesses (i.e the criteria mentioned above) but I think a waited on restaraunt is really taking the mick somewhat, cafeteria with cheap vending machines or some form of discount card for a local food place would more than suffice. And again I think the way MOST large companies (Supermarkets and other entry level jobs excluded since they tend to treat you like the robots they wish you where) currently handle sick leave would be far more appropriate than a "sick room" on the premesis. Who on earth wants to turn up at work sick to sit in some room rather than stay at home?
Reply 14
Original post by CAElite
I think meals during work hours for lunch breaks should be offered at some form of subsidy in large businesses (i.e the criteria mentioned above) but I think a waited on restaraunt is really taking the mick somewhat, cafeteria with cheap vending machines or some form of discount card for a local food place would more than suffice. And again I think the way MOST large companies (Supermarkets and other entry level jobs excluded since they tend to treat you like the robots they wish you where) currently handle sick leave would be far more appropriate than a "sick room" on the premesis. Who on earth wants to turn up at work sick to sit in some room rather than stay at home?

Why exactly do you think a waited on restaurant is taking the mick? :rofl:
Why exactly do you think a waited on restaurant is taking the mick? :rofl:

Your asking a company to provide its staff with some luxury restaurant on premesis?
A. Thats going to cost a bloody fortune
B. This is something some companies offer as a perk of the job
C. The logistics required to add a restaurant onto all businesses would be astronomical.

Its not pheasable and to be frank a pretty dumb idea that just hampers business. And this is coming from someone who holds left of centre economic views. Just pay folk a living wage that they can live comfortably with, and maintain their worker rights as outlined in varies current EU and UK directives, anything on top of that is a perk allowing businesses to be competative in their recruitment.
Reply 16
Original post by CAElite
Your asking a company to provide its staff with some luxury restaurant on premesis?
A. Thats going to cost a bloody fortune
B. This is something some companies offer as a perk of the job
C. The logistics required to add a restaurant onto all businesses would be astronomical.

Its not pheasable and to be frank a pretty dumb idea that just hampers business. And this is coming from someone who holds left of centre economic views. Just pay folk a living wage that they can live comfortably with, and maintain their worker rights as outlined in varies current EU and UK directives, anything on top of that is a perk allowing businesses to be competative in their recruitment.

But can't the waiters be simply be on minimum wage, cost problem largely solved? :h:
You stole my face. :unimpressed:
i personally have a couple of stances @Roger-Smith on this my first is that for large company that yes something should be in place for this such as apple or google or microsoft for instance but say when my company which other than me would have maybe 5 people i know where i am looking at as a location and there are a couple of decent local restaurants.
i would from a business perspective just have either a petty cash system (here's £10 go and have lunch) or an expense system in which they have to file the costs to be reimbursed of which the first has advantages as it would be less paperwork but they could just buy a £3 meal deal and pocket £7 a day which soon adds up to a lot(£35 a week, £140 a month, £1,680 a year) the second has a better advantage as whilst it would be more paperwork you would save overall as the costs would be on the receipts and would work better in the case of say taking a client out to lunch you might spend £50-£100 but it could close a £10,000-£20,000 deal so that cost is very little in relation to the return
as for a sick room i'd swap the roles so i'd take over on the sales floor if its one of my floor staff and let them have my office then let them have the following day off if they wish too
Reply 19
Original post by jamesthehustler
i personally have a couple of stances @Roger-Smith on this my first is that for large company that yes something should be in place for this such as apple or google or microsoft for instance but say when my company which other than me would have maybe 5 people i know where i am looking at as a location and there are a couple of decent local restaurants.
i would from a business perspective just have either a petty cash system (here's £10 go and have lunch) or an expense system in which they have to file the costs to be reimbursed of which the first has advantages as it would be less paperwork but they could just buy a £3 meal deal and pocket £7 a day which soon adds up to a lot(£35 a week, £140 a month, £1,680 a year) the second has a better advantage as whilst it would be more paperwork you would save overall as the costs would be on the receipts and would work better in the case of say taking a client out to lunch you might spend £50-£100 but it could close a £10,000-£20,000 deal so that cost is very little in relation to the return
as for a sick room i'd swap the roles so i'd take over on the sales floor if its one of my floor staff and let them have my office then let them have the following day off if they wish too

What a fair compromise, I love that idea! :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending