The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by IFoundWonderland
That is hardly a generalisation. People don't exactly fall in love with the lower portion of someone's face (I was wearing sunglasses).

I have, unfortunately, been victim to two occassions when someone has wanted to **** me and has acted on it. That is what is wrong with it and that is why it makes me so upset. It makes me feel that people cannot view me as anything more than an instrument of sexual pleasure.

I found the way he voiced it crass, offensive and rude. It made me feel sad and vulnerable. I don't see why the fact that it can be considered a compliment overwhelmingly negates this.

It doesn't negate that
Original post by difeo
It doesn't negate that

Then wtf are you arguing?
Reply 122
Then wtf are you arguing?

That it was complimentary. You said it wasn't.
Original post by difeo
That it was complimentary. You said it wasn't.

No. I admitted it was a veiled compliment. I just didn't think that made it an appropriate one.
Original post by Ano9901whichone
I am very sorry if that happened. Would you say that you are attractive?

Relatively? What's the relevance?
Reply 125
No. I admitted it was a veiled compliment. I just didn't think that made it an appropriate one.

Indeed, but only after the debate had begun. It then changed into some other debate that I didn't fully understand.
Original post by difeo
This is so stupid. No one says it for any other crime. "I'm not going to lock my doors, people just shouldn't steal things".
There will always be bad people, it's sensible to take precautions against being a victim of these people.

That's not sexist. British history was mostly made by white British men, for obvious reasons.

Saying girls travel in packs, don't go out at night, don't wear revealing clothing, don't even think about drinking etc. is not preventing rape. Most rapes occur when both parties know each other.

Teaching about what consent is (and what it is not) is not controversial. It is the responsibility of a guy to not rape. If a girl says no, or otherwise indicates a lack of consent, any sexual activity beyond that point is illegal. It is not a girl's fault if she gets raped.

Half the population of the world is female. The women's suffrage movement (pivotal in the lives of half of the population of the country) was scarcely a foot note.

Queen Elizabeth I wasn't mentioned when we discussed the Tudors. Nor was her sister Mary mentioned in detail other than her nickname.

The reality of life for ordinary people should be taught. That should include the reality of life for women in those times.

Women's contribution to literature should also be taught. In all my years in education, I didn't study a single book by a woman. Quite remarkable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
My school on the topic of rape: "girls, here's a long list of things that you shouldn't do so you don't get raped."

Silence when the question was asked that surely it's the guy's responsibility not to rape and not the girl's responsibility not to get raped.

The fact that female anatomy was factually incorrect in the way that it was taught. (Girls do not have built in virginity detectors.)

When girls wanted to play football in PE, we were never allowed to use the MUGA pitch because the boys were using it.

History focused almost entirely on rich white (British) men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's too obvious to warrant being said. Given the prevelance of the view that taking steps to minimise rape is somehow immoral, i think the education you describe is pretty vital.

Also, how would you feel to have it assumed that you're a rapist until someone tells you it's wrong? That is the only thing in this whole debate that is sexist.
Original post by difeo
Indeed, but only after the debate had begun. It then changed into some other debate that I didn't fully understand.

Because you suggested that men can't distinguish between finding someone attracted and wanting to have sex with them. Something that is actually sexist in itself and is not exactly true.
Reply 129
Because you suggested that men can't distinguish between finding someone attracted and wanting to have sex with them. Something that is actually sexist in itself and is not exactly true.

I said if someone wants to have sex with you, they find you attractive. Which is true. It doesn't mean the opposite is true (that anyone you find attractive you also want to have sex with).
Well attractive girls get a lot of compliments from men, as do attractive men from women. It kind of comes with the territory - in no way does that mean it's an excuse for any harassment in any form - although I really don't think that giving compliments is bad, and is definitely not sexist.

I think that the way people voice it is sexist. There is a tendency to objectify women moreso than me (I would argue that objectifiction of either sex is sexist in a broad sense). The issue with me (and I realise I do have a tendency to hyperbolise and respond particularly sensitively here) is that I have had so many negative experiences with different men that I see it as an attack on me because of my gender. Yes, compliments are fine, but they're often more malicious than that. A compliment is not sexist, but inappropriate touching or harrassment or more occurs because of my gender - to the extent that I begin to perceive myself as I think men would perceive me.
Original post by Katty3
My school on the topic of rape: "girls, here's a long list of things that you shouldn't do so you don't get raped."

Silence when the question was asked that surely it's the guy's responsibility not to rape and not the girl's responsibility not to get raped.

The fact that female anatomy was factually incorrect in the way that it was taught. (Girls do not have built in virginity detectors.)

When girls wanted to play football in PE, we were never allowed to use the MUGA pitch because the boys were using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People shouldn't go into my house and steal my stuff. But I lock my doors to stop it.
I shouldn't get assaulted if I'm out. But I still take steps to stop that from happening.
Even though things shouldn't happen, there are bad people out there so they do happen. So it makes sense to try and protect ourselves to stop these things from happening to us.
It's not the victims fault, but you have to help yourself. Surely you understand that?
Original post by banterboy
That's too obvious to warrant being said. Given the prevelance of the view that taking steps to minimise rape is somehow immoral, i think the education you describe is pretty vital.

Well indeed, but today's students are unfortunately triggered by prudence, so we have a lose-lose situation.
Original post by Katty3
British history is almost entirely comprised of the actions of rich white men.
Original post by Katty3
Saying girls travel in packs, don't go out at night, don't wear revealing clothing, don't even think about drinking etc. is not preventing rape. Most rapes occur when both parties know each other.

Teaching about what consent is (and what it is not) is not controversial. It is the responsibility of a guy to not rape. If a girl says no, or otherwise indicates a lack of consent, any sexual activity beyond that point is illegal. It is not a girl's fault if she gets raped.

Half the population of the world is female. The women's suffrage movement (pivotal in the lives of half of the population of the country) was scarcely a foot note.

Queen Elizabeth I wasn't mentioned when we discussed the Tudors. Nor was her sister Mary mentioned in detail other than her nickname.

The reality of life for ordinary people should be taught. That should include the reality of life for women in those times.

Women's contribution to literature should also be taught. In all my years in education, I didn't study a single book by a woman. Quite remarkable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. If you don't want to take precautions to reduce risk then you bear the burden of risk.

2. Complete rubbish. How about you teach children not to steal, then I won't put locks on my doors. Realize how silly it sounds? I also note you ignore men can be raped too, good job with your sexism.

3. It was however, a primarily a UK and US movement, good job not understanding the third world or history in general.

4.Queen Elizabeth the first was a very minor Tudor in terms of relative history. And Mary ruled for 5 years and was purely responsible for a singular event, the Catholic/Protestant 'war'. Don't use your inherent lack of historical knowledge to accuse people of sexism.

5. Why? It simply isn't relevant to the time period and what was happening, there wasn't much 'social revolution'. If you were talking about Charles the first or Russian tsars it would be different.

6. Really? Then you know little about literature. For example, the Bronte sisters. Very little literature was written by women in the classical world because it was published under male pseudonyms. That is a result of society at the time. Furthermore, as a result, most authors of classic literature were male.
People shouldn't go into my house and steal my stuff. But I lock my doors to stop it.
I shouldn't get assaulted if I'm out. But I still take steps to stop that from happening.
Even though things shouldn't happen, there are bad people out there so they do happen. So it makes sense to try and protect ourselves to stop these things from happening to us.
It's not the victims fault, but you have to help yourself. Surely you understand that?

The burden of blame is on the attacker, but the burden of risk is on the victim.
The Women in Engineering bursary :unimpressed:

Girls can get given £1000 per year for being on an Engineering course, just because they're female. I know there's reasons behind it, but that kinda sucks.
Being expected to know how to cook.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
My sister was sent home from school because her skirt was too short and distracting for the boys.

Sad that a guy's education seems to matter more in those cases.

Shame that your sister is unable to follow a simple dress code. It's not a case of "being distracting for boys" its a case of being inappropriate attire for a work environment ffs

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

- Everyone assumes that you can't take a joke.

We've all seen your posts on here, you can't take a joke....
Ive never experienced sexism.
When I experienced child abuse as a kid, people were always sympathetic to the female relative for having an odd and difficult child and pretty much told me to "man up".

Last year, when I told a friend of mine that a guy was very forceful with me and didn't listen to my protests, she laughed it off despite previously reacting differently when females she didn't even know were put in similar positions.

When I lived in a care home, the females I lived with were able to go onto foster care after they were 16 but I had to move out. Our cases were different but I consistently saw it being the case that their victimhood and crocodile tears elicited sympathy.

But I have seen other people experience experience sexism. Homeless men who had no chance of support (from when I worked at the CAB) or guys in my personal life who were unlucky after separation or divorce.
Not much else really.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest