The Student Room Group

cant afford to go to college

Scroll to see replies

Education is free for 16-19 year olds. If not, you can get a loan from student finance and the same for uni which you don't repay until you get a job and earn 21k or more. If you really can't leave your job because of the house issues then you can go to uni part time and work part time as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Serine Soul
Ah, have you asked your mum if that will be enough?

hello, yeah she said its not going to be nearly enough, as i have to help pay bills and rent and buy food for the house.
Reply 22
Original post by samzy21
Education is free for 16-19 year olds. If not, you can get a loan from student finance and the same for uni which you don't repay until you get a job and earn 21k or more. If you really can't leave your job because of the house issues then you can go to uni part time and work part time as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had to pay for all my courses so far, so you have a link or something where i could apply for the loan
Original post by SophiaW
i will have a look, will they take longer to do than a full time course as i want to do them as soon as possible really and id have to go into full time education next year when im doing my a levels anyway

I started in October, took the exams in June. 2 hours a week each subject. Go find out :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Alba2013
I started in October, took the exams in June. 2 hours a week each subject. Go find out :smile:

What college was that and did you do well x
Original post by SophiaW
What college was that and did you do well x

That was at Plymouth City College and got an A in English (not bad for a foreigner!) and a C in Maths because I put 0 effort into it - missed most of the lessons and didn't revise, watched some youtube videos the night before, wouldn't recommend! That together with the Access course I met my conditional offer and I'm now finishing my first year at Uni.

Good luck x
Reply 26
Original post by Alba2013
That was at Plymouth City College and got an A in English (not bad for a foreigner!) and a C in Maths because I put 0 effort into it - missed most of the lessons and didn't revise, watched some youtube videos the night before, wouldn't recommend! That together with the Access course I met my conditional offer and I'm now finishing my first year at Uni.

Good luck x

Awh great! What are you studying now at uni and what uni are you in?
To add to the advice already given:
A lot of courses (such as GCSEs) are part time / evening to enable people to work full time.
You need to really look into what financial support is out there. I'm not clued up on funding for Welsh students at college. However, the college you intend on studying at, will do.

If you do an Access course for example, these are aimed at people who work. They're (mine was, anyway - it's probably changed since then) usually 3 days a week, which allows you to work part time as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophiaW
I've had to pay for all my courses so far, so you have a link or something where i could apply for the loan

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Posted from TSR Mobile

but thats only for students studying at foundation degree or degree level
Original post by jelly1000
but thats only for students studying at foundation degree or degree level

It's for college students as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
It's for college students as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't. There is a 24+ learning loan for college students but as the name says thats only for those aged 24 +
Reply 32
No it isn't. There is a 24+ learning loan for college students but as the name says thats only for those aged 24 +

Also I live in Wales not sure if it the same all over the uk or just England for the loans

Your age doesn't matter. You can still get a loan if you are a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophiaW
Also I live in Wales not sure if it the same all over the uk or just England for the loans

It's not just England it's the UK (student finance UK) so if you live in Wales, you should be eligible for a student loan. Just check out the website and you'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afraid that really isn't true
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if you're doing a university level course, which the OP states they're not.
If your mum is honestly calling you stupid and putting you down and saying you can't go to uni then let the bitch fend for herself, you don't owe her anything if she is treating you like that.

Go to college.
Original post by samzy21
It's not just England it's the UK (student finance UK) so if you live in Wales, you should be eligible for a student loan. Just check out the website and you'll see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Afraid that really isn't true

Original post by Tiger Rag
Only if you're doing a university level course, which the OP states they're not.

From this year 19+ Advanced Learning Loan are available through student finance for a wide variety of level 3 and 4 colleges courses

To be eligible you need to be:
•aged 19 or over on the first day of your course
•starting your course on or after 1 August
•living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years immediately before this
•studying an eligible course at an approved College or training organisation in England. We are an approved College
•enrolling on an eligible course at level 3 and above which includes: Access to HE Diplomas, other Diplomas and Certificates, Advanced Apprenticeships or Higher Apprenticeships

Most colleges have details on their web sites
e.g.
http://www.conel.ac.uk/for-learners/financial-support/262-24-advanced-learning-loans.html
Original post by gdunne42
From this year 19+ Advanced Learning Loan are available through student finance for a wide variety of level 3 and 4 colleges courses

To be eligible you need to be:
•aged 19 or over on the first day of your course
•starting your course on or after 1 August
•living in the UK on the first day of your course and have lived in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years immediately before this
•studying an eligible course at an approved College or training organisation in England. We are an approved College
•enrolling on an eligible course at level 3 and above which includes: Access to HE Diplomas, other Diplomas and Certificates, Advanced Apprenticeships or Higher Apprenticeships

Most colleges have details on their web sites
e.g.
http://www.conel.ac.uk/for-learners/financial-support/262-24-advanced-learning-loans.html

That looks like it's just for tuition fees.

Quick Reply

Latest