The Student Room Group

Im a pharmacist, Ask me (almost) anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James222
My penis is about 9 inches and regular condoms dont fit me
any advice ?

I would probably say your not using it right or a faulty batch (1 once stuck my head inside a regular condom (partly scientific curiosity, partly I wanted to see if the rumours) and I apparently have a big head (11 inches by 6 inches by 10 inches at thickest points) and in fact, you can inflate them like balloons. if you want to you could try different types tbh try and see which one fits if your not satisfied
Original post by quasa
I would probably say your not using it right or a faulty batch (1 once stuck my head inside a regular condom (partly scientific curiosity, partly I wanted to see if the rumours) and I apparently have a big head (11 inches by 6 inches by 10 inches at thickest points) and in fact, you can inflate them like balloons. if you want to you could try different types tbh try and see which one fits if your not satisfied

You just painted such a vivid picture in my mind :sexface:
But 11 inches long? Seems kinda unbelievable :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Hey :smile:
How difficult is it to get into a hospital pharmacist after the degree?

How hard was it to do your pre reg?

What was your fav part of the pharmacy course in general

1) depends where you do pre-reg tbh. you need to spend at least 6 months (ideally 11 months +) as a hospital pre-reg to be considered at all by most hospitals nowadays so try and get as much hospital experience as you can (getting an interview for me was more straghtforward than getting interviews for community tbh but I fluffed all my interviews due to unfortunate circumstances / in 1 case: jetlag)

2) it varies from people to people but mine was hard (I will actually be addressing that in a future blog/vlog so stay tuned to my posts).

3)I enjoyed all the clinical stuff tbh and even though i dislike law & ethic lectures, I was surprisingly adept at it (also loved hosting seminars/ presentation and was always forced into debating things by my classmates for some bizarre reason)
Original post by oShahpo
How much do you (almost) make?

no comment :wink:
Original post by francismcgowan
Erm I have a friend who was wondering how to make Crystal meth which is a similar to the type in Breaking bad

thats quite simple, get a bunch of sugar, add blue food colouring (usually contains titanium oxide) or bubblegum or blue rasberry flavoured syrup to it, let it reduce and cool at room temperature. if there was no contamination, then you should have breaking bad quality crystals :smile:
Original post by quasa
1) depends where you do pre-reg tbh. you need to spend at least 6 months (ideally 11 months +) as a hospital pre-reg to be considered at all by most hospitals nowadays so try and get as much hospital experience as you can (getting an interview for me was more straghtforward than getting interviews for community tbh but I fluffed all my interviews due to unfortunate circumstances / in 1 case: jetlag)

2) it varies from people to people but mine was hard (I will actually be addressing that in a future blog/vlog so stay tuned to my posts).

3)I enjoyed all the clinical stuff tbh and even though i dislike law & ethic lectures, I was surprisingly adept at it (also loved hosting seminars/ presentation and was always forced into debating things by my classmates for some bizarre reason)
Iinteresting.
I prefer hospital over community, so I might just do a 12 month rather than a split pre reg.
Even though its good to learn all the community stuff too surely?
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Why do they call the degree pharmacy and not pharmacology?

2 separate degrees mate. pharmacology is solely the study of drugs whereas pharmacy also covers pharmaceutics and also involves covering different diseases, their aetiologies (ie causes), pathophysiologies (disease progression), signs and symptoms, epidemiology (geographic spread of disease) and treatment options.
in fairness, I would say pharmacologists would know more about the intricate details than a pharmacist during degree level
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Iinteresting.
I prefer hospital over community, so I might just do a 12 month rather than a split pre reg.
Even though its good to learn all the community stuff too surely?

tbh, community stuff you can cover in a month as a hospital pre-reg it is not that hard. the only difference you will notice is that community is more restrictive regarding what you can and cant give out per prescription (has to be brand product if brand specified whereas hospital you can give anything as generic) and cds are generally lax in community vs hospitals (eg in most hospital wards I visited up north and down south, all cds on wards, including schedule 5 like codeine, are kept in CD cupboard, whereas in community it is usually 1 (if they keep), 2 and some schedule 3s (also weirdly some keep 10mg methotrexate in CD cupboards :s-smilie:)
@quasa

Did you ever consider graduate entry Medicine?
Would you recommend your job to A-level students?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
@quasa

Did you ever consider graduate entry Medicine?
Would you recommend your job to A-level students?

weirdly GEM is an option I am considering for my future, I will definately post something about this in a future blog (unfortunately money is an issue as I am not from a rich family so I need to save. also UKCAT scores are surprisingly hard for GEM, yet not so much for undergrad med & dentistry and grad dentistry)
Original post by quasa

Thank you for the info :smile:
Will defnitely try and get as much experience as i can get during the degree to boost my chances of hospital pharmacy as well as finding a pre-reg firm
Ahh well done on the interviews :smile:

Ok. :excited: will watch the thread religiously :h:

Ooh nice :smile:

I have one more question if you dont mind
Would being an introvert put you at a disadvange?
@quasa

what tips would you give to a gcse student (i noticed you gave tips for A-level though)

would you say pharmacy is tedious and repetitive? I worked for a day at a pharmacy and i could not stand it...)

do you have any advice for acne sufferers relating medication and treatment?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Thank you for the info :smile:
Will defnitely try and get as much experience as i can get during the degree to boost my chances of hospital pharmacy as well as finding a pre-reg firm
Ahh well done on the interviews :smile:

Ok. :excited: will watch the thread religiously :h:

Ooh nice :smile:

I have one more question if you dont mind
Would being an introvert put you at a disadvange?

dont mind at all. the answer to that question is ultimately how you do at interviews tbh. you do have introvert hospital pre-reges but its not an advantage or disadvantage, as long as you do well on the day of the interview and dont appear scared of everything you should be ok. conversely dont overcompensate with confidence as that can backfire
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj
@quasa

what tips would you give to a gcse student (i noticed you gave tips for A-level though)

would you say pharmacy is tedious and repetitive? I worked for a day at a pharmacy and i could not stand it...)

do you have any advice for acne sufferers relating medication and treatment?

depends on the gcses you are doing and how you revise tbh. I myself will admit I didnt do much revision (in total 12 hours across year 11 and I had no tuition). I will say is learn how to reference properly for coursework (harvard and vancouver, although vancouver takes up less space but for dissos they want harvard style). make sure you get good grades (identify where your weaknesses are and give them more of a priority than your strengths, but at the same time, still revise your strengths as you need to have a good base all around for exams.

regarding tediousness depends where you are: community pharmacy is tedious but you do get opportunites which you can enjoy. hospital is more enjoyable but if you work as a hospital pharmacist, expect to deal with night shifts (ie being the only pharmacist on call for an entire hospital / trust from 1am to 9am)

acne can is usually caused b buildup of sebum. weridly enough wearing more makeup would cause more acne. also increased testosterone can increase acne (and same with moisturises). depending on the severity, you may just have to put up with it till the end of puberty and use stuff like oxy or clearasil (be warned with clearasil as it contains alcohol so if you suffer from skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, it can exacerbate them). in really bad cases a dermatologist would have to prescribe you antibiotics or a modified version of vitamin a called isotretinoin
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
dont mind at all. the answer to that question is ultimately how you do at interviews tbh. you do have introvert hospital pre-reges but its not an advantage or disadvantage, as long as you do well on the day of the interview and dont appear scared of everything you should be ok.

Ok :smile: thanks!!
Original post by quasa
tbh, community stuff you can cover in a month as a hospital pre-reg it is not that hard. the only difference you will notice is that community is more restrictive regarding what you can and cant give out per prescription (has to be brand product if brand specified whereas hospital you can give anything as generic) and cds are generally lax in community vs hospitals (eg in most hospital wards I visited up north and down south, all cds on wards, including schedule 5 like codeine, are kept in CD cupboard, whereas in community it is usually 1 (if they keep), 2 and some schedule 3s (also weirdly some keep 10mg methotrexate in CD cupboards :s-smilie:)
Unfortunately they dont offer 11 month, one month pre reg in england?

or do they? is it that they give people one month in communiuty if yeh do a hospital pre reg?

grand thats that sorted then. Il go for the 12 month hospital if thats the case.
Unfortunately they dont offer 11 month, one month pre reg in england?

or do they? is it that they give people one month in communiuty if yeh do a hospital pre reg?

grand thats that sorted then. Il go for the 12 month hospital if thats the case.

its actually a 12 month pre-reg in hospital but you would have to organise 2-4 weeks in community. (similar to what I did with my pre-reg but the opposite ie 11 months in community, 1 in hospital but it was classified as a 12 month community pre-reg)
Original post by quasa
its actually a 12 month pre-reg in hospital but you would have to organise 2-4 weeks in community. (similar to what I did with my pre-reg but the opposite ie 11 months in community, 1 in hospital but it was classified as a 12 month community pre-reg)
would someone take yeh on for 2-4 weeks though? yeh reckon youd be better off doing something like that?

doing a 12 month hospital pre reg and try an organise volunteering at some place for free the month before yeh start?
would someone take yeh on for 2-4 weeks though? yeh reckon youd be better off doing something like that?

doing a 12 month hospital pre reg and try an organise volunteering at some place for free the month before yeh start?

yeah, some community pharmacies will be willing to take you on. some hospitals actually arrange it with people like boots for 2-4 weeks. but generally you would have to organise it yourself and gain permission. you would still be paid by the hospital for those 2-4 weeks but show that you attended the community placement
Original post by quasa
yeah, some community pharmacies will be willing to take you on. some hospitals actually arrange it with people like boots for 2-4 weeks. but generally you would have to organise it yourself and gain permission. you would still be paid by the hospital for those 2-4 weeks but show that you attended the community placement
oh wow.

so I can negotiate with the hospital on that matter. say Il be off for 1 month of my 12 months. itd be great if they were that sound about it.

Quick Reply

Latest