The Student Room Group

Change of course / repayment

Hi,

I'm currently a year 1 student at hertfordshire university, however i am currently planning to withdraw from my course before the end of the year. I am going to remain a student at the university and begin a new course from September 2016.
I am aware i'm entitled to funding under the 3+1 situation. But i was wondering how the repayments would work? Am i expected to pay the year for this course back now, or does this one year and the three years on my new course all get added together and paid back after i graduate from my new course?
Original post by hollyv1
Hi,

I'm currently a year 1 student at hertfordshire university, however i am currently planning to withdraw from my course before the end of the year. I am going to remain a student at the university and begin a new course from September 2016.
I am aware i'm entitled to funding under the 3+1 situation. But i was wondering how the repayments would work? Am i expected to pay the year for this course back now, or does this one year and the three years on my new course all get added together and paid back after i graduate from my new course?

If you withdraw before the end of the year then SLC might be in touch to reclaim an overpayment immediately (claiming back overpayments isn't income assessed - they will assume that you haven't spent any money they've provided above what you're entitled to and can pay it back instantly). This will depend on what your university tell SLC about your withdrawal. You might also end up with Herts after you for payment of tuition fees if your withdrawal means they aren't covered by the SLC.

If you finish the year (withdraw on or after 31 July) then your funding received will just be part of your debt which will only be repayable in the April after your course ends if your income is above the repayment threshold.

You need to speak to Herts (student support usually) about when you plan to withdraw - they should be able to let you know what SLC or Herts will expect to be repaid instantly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending