The Student Room Group

Surrey or Sheffield for Aerospace engineering?

I can't visit any of them before doing my decision. Also, I would like to focus more in the space/rocket sector.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one? I really need any help!
Reply 2
For space Surrey is world class.
Reply 3
So Surrey then?
Reply 4
Original post by 3enrique
So Surrey then?

Personally, I would go to Surrey. Did you visit the universities?
Reply 5
I am from Spain so I haven't been able to.
Reply 6
Reply 7
So that's another point for Surrey!
Reply 8
Any other opinion? It is a really important decision.
Reply 9
Other opinions are still needed!
The SSC and Surrey's space reputation are related so I'd argue that's 1 point to Surrey :tongue:

I'd say Sheffield's aerospace course gives you a greater ability to branch out into different engineering disciplines, pick the right speciality and you can very easily do a masters in another discipline, notably mechanical, materials, EEE and systems, you'd also have a good basis for doing a conversion masters for computer science. Looking at Surrey's module list you actually don't do a lot of space stuff there until 3 optional modules come up in 4th year, and most of the content in two of those is covered in 2nd and 3rd year at Sheffield. Your best option is probably doing a BEng at Sheffield then an MSc at Surrey if you want to get into the space industry, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Sheffield also has a lot more things to do as a city and university, e.g. it's a lot more lively, societies are very easy to get into and there are lots of projects to get involved with like University of Sheffield Enterprise and Sheffield University Research Experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
The SSC and Surrey's space reputation are related so I'd argue that's 1 point to Surrey :tongue:

I'd say Sheffield's aerospace course gives you a greater ability to branch out into different engineering disciplines, pick the right speciality and you can very easily do a masters in another discipline, notably mechanical, materials, EEE and systems, you'd also have a good basis for doing a conversion masters for computer science. Looking at Surrey's module list you actually don't do a lot of space stuff there until 3 optional modules come up in 4th year, and most of the content in two of those is covered in 2nd and 3rd year at Sheffield. Your best option is probably doing a BEng at Sheffield then an MSc at Surrey if you want to get into the space industry, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Sheffield also has a lot more things to do as a city and university, e.g. it's a lot more lively, societies are very easy to get into and there are lots of projects to get involved with like University of Sheffield Enterprise and Sheffield University Research Experience.

Thank you for your help. The things is that I will be doing the MEng, would this change your advice?
Thank you for your help. The things is that I will be doing the MEng, would this change your advice?

Not really as you can switch between the BEng and MEng until the end of second year and as an EU student it's not going to make much difference to your financial situation if you do your 4 years as an MEng or BEng+MSc. Even if the <£2000 difference was a problem (~£1000 if we're talking after loans), you get a greater advantage out of having networked in two universities and the MSc carries a greater amount of information than the 4th year of an MEng.

My recommendation is that, unless you have worked in astronautics before, go for Sheffield, astronautic connections are really the only thing which Surrey has that Sheffield doesn't and it's quite a minor thing. In practice your interest in such a specific area (or rather one that doesn't really represent any area of engineering) will be gone by the end of first year no matter which university you go to.
Reply 13
Now I am more confused at such different opinions...

Any other opinion?
Reply 14
Help!!
Hey, not sure if this is any help but I'll go to Surrey for aerospace engineering BEng :smile: It's a great university with a really good reputation.
Reply 16
Thanks!

Any other opinion would be of great help!
Thanks!

Any other opinion would be of great help!

Im going surrey for aerospace. I had other offers like bristol. But surrey seemed better when i visited. They got a space centre and a rolls royce technology centre.
Reply 18
Thanks! I think I'll take Surrey then!
Thanks! I think I'll take Surrey then!

Urmm to argue against that, Sheffield has the AMRC which is a joint operation between Boeing, Rolls Royce, the university and a bunch of other companies, we also have an Industrial training program with Rolls Royce as part of our course (there will also be one with Siemens when you get to it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending