The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry Calculation help please

Hi there, if anyone could please help explain this question to me or explain a simple method of how to do it so that I can use it in other questions similar that would be great! :smile:

) Whisky contains a higher concentration of ethanol.

(i) Before 1980, the concentration of alcohol in drinks was measured in terms of degrees proof. The concentration of alcohol in two drinks is shown in the table below, both as % abv and degrees proof.

Sample Alcohol concentration/%abv Alcohol Concentration/degrees proof

Wine 14.0 24.5
Sherry 20.0 35.0

A cask strength whisky has an alcohol concentration of 65% abv. Calculate the alcohol concentration of this whisky in degrees proof. (1)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Misshussain23
Hi there, if anyone could please help explain this question to me or explain a simple method of how to do it so that I can use it in other questions similar that would be great! :smile:

(i) Before 1980, the concentration of alcohol in drinks was measured in terms of degrees proof. The concentration of alcohol in two drinks is shown in the table below, both as % abv and degrees proof.

Wine 14.0 24.5
Sherry 20.0 35.0

A cask strength whisky has an alcohol concentration of 65% abv. Calculate the alcohol concentration of this whisky in degrees proof. (1)

This is part of the question too

A barrel containing 195 litres of cask strength whiskycosts £1300. The cask strength whisky isdiluted with water to reduce the concentration of alcohol from 65% abv to 46%abv before it is bottled. Calculate the cost of the cask strength whisky neededto produce a 0·70 litre bottle. Showyour working clearly. (2)
Original post by Misshussain23

Wine 14.0 24.5
Sherry 20.0 35.0

Simply find the relationship between degrees proof and percentage. It's basic maths.
Original post by charco
Simply find the relationship between degrees proof and percentage. It's basic maths.

Thankyou, just over complicated it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest