The Student Room Group

What are the pros and cons of becoming a secondary school teacher?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
I guess so.

Do you know the starting salary of a new graduate? is the wage enough to live in London after tax etc? the take home pay?

I really want to know what i am getting myself into.

£25K in LDN I guess. You could look this up.
Original post by TeachChemistry
£25K in LDN I guess. You could look this up.

Cool.
It's not a complaint from me - but it is a fact. Anyone who thinks it's a breeze should try it out for a week. Getting through the PGCE is a tough intro but after a few years you get used to it.

What is the PGCE like?
I guess so.

Do you know the starting salary of a new graduate? is the wage enough to live in London after tax etc? the take home pay?

I really want to know what i am getting myself into.

Competition for jobs teaching philosophy and sociology is quite fierce afaik

There's a cost of living banding for working in London (which you could have found out by typing 'NQT salary' into google...

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/why-teach/competitive-salary-and-great-benefits

Presumably people manage to live on it - you never hear of teachers starving to death... but you do hear about them getting fed up with the paperwork.
Original post by Joinedup
Competition for jobs teaching philosophy and sociology is quite fierce afaik

There's a cost of living banding for working in London (which you could have found out by typing 'NQT salary' into google...

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/why-teach/competitive-salary-and-great-benefits

Presumably people manage to live on it - you never hear of teachers starving to death... but you do hear about them getting fed up with the paperwork.

Yeah, the problem is mainly the paperwork and the behaviour of students but iam considering private? will it be any better? i know there will be high expectations but that is with any career.
What is the PGCE like?

Intense to say the least. Made me cry many times but you get through it. Some do fall by the wayside but then it's not for them.
Pros:

You can make a difference in other peoples' lives

Summers off /You get lots of holidays off

A kid who graduated from years back may come back to see you and tell you how great you were. And it makes your whole day as well.

Cons:

You might find it hard handling some students/ Unmotivated, disrespectful students

The pay is low

You have to take work home with you mostly every night

The parents may harass you

You'll never have all the resources you need

(edited 8 years ago)
Intense to say the least. Made me cry many times but you get through it. Some do fall by the wayside but then it's not for them.

Cool.
Yeah, the problem is mainly the paperwork and the behaviour of students but iam considering private? will it be any better? i know there will be high expectations but that is with any career.

Probably a lot of people thinking the same thing as you. Independent sector schools seem to employ a higher proportion of Oxbridge & RG graduates as teachers than state https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/breaking_news_files/teaching_by_degrees.pdf
You would need a good degree for a private school as they would have the pick of the prospective teachers with degrees from Oxbridge etc.

I'd be wary about some private schools behaviour tbh aha
Original post by Joinedup
Probably a lot of people thinking the same thing as you. Independent sector schools seem to employ a higher proportion of Oxbridge & RG graduates as teachers than state https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/breaking_news_files/teaching_by_degrees.pdf

Hmmm.....i guess i will have to get the grades to get into an RG uni
Reply 31
Is it easy to get in to teach at private schools?

I'd imagine it'd be more difficult to get in than state.
Original post by sabana
I'd imagine it'd be more difficult to get in than state.

ok.
Reply 33
Not sure if this reply is too late but if you go on to uni to get a degree, you can do many other things other than teaching! I got a Masters Degree and went into journalism. You can do journalism with philosophy or whatever subject. In trade journalism (where the money is) there are publications for pretty much any subject/industry you can think of. I left journalism a few years ago, did some freelance for a bit and then just got into several hobbies (had a partner who didn't mind me not going to work). Recently I've been thinking I want to earn my own money again and thought about teaching. After visiting a couple of secondary schools and doing my research and reading forums like this, I wouldn't go near teaching! If you have a degree, you can do so much better than teaching. I didn't even go to any rough schools. But boy it just looks horrid. For the amount of hours you have to do, you will essentially be working for minimum wage. You don't get paid for all the work you have to take home. As for the holidays? You'll be working during most of it. And you can only go on holiday when all the kids are off! No no no. Do something else! If you get a degree, you are better than teaching. Those who can't, teach. If you have a talent, use it. Too much crap teachers have to put up with. I sat in the staff room in one school and they spent most of the time *****ing about the students. Calling one student a ****. One teacher moaning that one student girl hates her. My Masters Degree is worth more than that.
Original post by sabana
Pros:
Make a difference to pupils
Enjoyable to work with kids
Long holidays

Cons:
Excessive workload
Long hours
Poor behaviour in majority of schools
Pay isn't great compared to a lot of other graduate jobs

The pay comment contradicts one earlier in this thread (saying that the pay is good for a grad). Do you have any examples to support teaching being a poor pay?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending