The Student Room Group

Mature students - giving up work in prep for vet med?

Hi all, I'm new here :smile: After some experiences more than anything.

Has anybody here applied to vet med as a mature student, and how did you go about it? Did you give up work while studying / doing work placements, and if you did how did you fund yourself?

I'm 24 with an Access to HE on the go (distance learning), and two placements coming up (one of 4 wks, the other 1 wk). Is it really doable to work full time, and be ready for an application in October?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I worked full time in an office job while I was applying for graduate entry. I was lucky in that work knew I was going to Uni so I saved up my holiday to do placements and was also able to take unpaid leave when I had no holiday left. It did mean I had to work Christmas and New Year but I left work in August a few weeks before I started the course and did a few weeks seeing practice then too.

Are you able to work your hours over 4 days and see practice one day a week or similar?

If you'll struggle to finance the period whilst applying your degree, during may be an even bigger problem without funding!
Hi,

I'm in a similar position - completing a CertHE in Life Sciences at Birkbeck (over 2 years, one evening a week plus 12 hours home study), while working fulltime. I've just completed a week of lambing using my annual leave, and will be taking another week annual leave for a week in a veterinary hospital. I currently volunteer at a city farm on Sundays and have just started at a cat rescue on Saturdays. Getting enough experience with limited time is challenging and I am still desperately searching for a weekend veterinary placement. If you can afford to work part-time or to take some unpaid leave that will probably help.

With Access to HE and similar courses, make sure you check with the universities well in advance so you know who you can apply to; I have had confirmation from RVC, Bristol and Surrey that they will consider me if I achieve Distinctions in all my Chemistry and Biology modules, and Nottingham have said they will consider for their 6-year course. I haven't enquired at Liverpool as they ask for 10 weeks of work experience which I will not be able to meet.
Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cambridge do not accept Access courses for vet med.

Good luck!
Reply 3
I'm aiming for Vet Nursing but the work experience requirmenets are similar for some places - so am in the same boat!
Don't have much holiday left unfortunately, so will be leaving work in order to have August free for intense volunteer work before I start an A-Level course, while at the moment I'm doing weekend work. Well, that's assuming I can actually afford missing a month's salary :smile:

You still have a bit of time, if you step on it and get a good place to volunteer you might be able to make it with weekend work I reckon?
Reply 4
Hello,

I'm in a similar position. I'm a mature student (going on 23) and looking to study veterinary medicine at RVC. I'm currently looking into studying for my A Levels as a private candidate (Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths) in which I will need to achieve AAA. In addition, I will need to sit and achieve grade A for two GCSEs (either Physics or Maths and English). I contacted RVC regarding entry requirements and they recommended that I study an Access for HE in Science course. However, I run a business and an animal sanctuary so I need to be able to fit my studies around my other commitments. The RVC will not accept the Access to HE courses that are delivered via distance learning and as such may not be suitable for me as I believe physical courses will take up a fair amount of the day in a class, as opposed to a lecture which will only take up a few hours of your day. I have also considered the Birkbeck CertHE in Life Sciences for Subjects Allied to Medicine (1 Year) as this is delivered in the evenings. However, I do not live in London (I'm around an hour out) and the course fee is £5k, not including the £20 per day travel expense.

I looked into studying a Veterinary Nursing apprenticeship as I am eager to get into the field. However, to my surprise, RVC does not consider qualified veterinary nurses as having the required background to undertake the veterinary medicine degree. I do understand that veterinary nursing isn't necessarily going to provide you with the scientific knowledge required in Biology or Chemistry but I would have thought that qualified vet nurses would have their own access route. With that said, I haven't ruled out undertaking a veterinary nursing apprenticeship if I am able to fit the training and placements into my studies, for the very least it will provide me with valuable skills and experience.

All things considered, I believe the best route for me would be to undertake the A Levels as a private candidate. I could pay for the materials with a distance learning provider but I think I shall follow the route of creating my own course materials. The AQA is quite helpful in that they provide guidance for teachers on delivering the materials needed for their students to pass exams, which can be extracted and used in planning your studies. I may even hire private tutors to help me with my studies. I'll need to contact local schools, colleges and centres to book myself in for examinations and grading of the practical units.

I have been out of education for some time and have never considered myself to be particularly academic, so the thought of it all is rather daunting! But it is good to see others in this thread who have the same ambitions as me and are in a similar situation :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Melora ^.^=
Hi,

I'm in a similar position - completing a CertHE in Life Sciences at Birkbeck (over 2 years, one evening a week plus 12 hours home study), while working fulltime. I've just completed a week of lambing using my annual leave, and will be taking another week annual leave for a week in a veterinary hospital. I currently volunteer at a city farm on Sundays and have just started at a cat rescue on Saturdays. Getting enough experience with limited time is challenging and I am still desperately searching for a weekend veterinary placement. If you can afford to work part-time or to take some unpaid leave that will probably help.

With Access to HE and similar courses, make sure you check with the universities well in advance so you know who you can apply to; I have had confirmation from RVC, Bristol and Surrey that they will consider me if I achieve Distinctions in all my Chemistry and Biology modules, and Nottingham have said they will consider for their 6-year course. I haven't enquired at Liverpool as they ask for 10 weeks of work experience which I will not be able to meet.

Good luck!

Hi Melora! I just made a response to this post before reading your post. How are you finding the CertHE Life Sciences course? I have considered this route, although I believe sitting A Levels as a private candidate may better suit my situation. But I'm still curious to know what your course is like and if you would recommend it? I have two friends who live in London who are considering it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by mvictor
Hi Melora! I just made a response to this post before reading your post. How are you finding the CertHE Life Sciences course? I have considered this route, although I believe sitting A Levels as a private candidate may better suit my situation. But I'm still curious to know what your course is like and if you would recommend it? I have two friends who live in London who are considering it. Thanks :smile:

The CertHE is similar to A Level Bio & Chem syllabuses, minus plant biology, as it is aimed at those wanting to work in subjects allied to medicine. Three people progressed to RVC vet med last year; you need Distinctions (70%) in all Chem & Bio units.

I am doing it over two years as i work fulltime, plus I'm learning to drive & need to do work experience. I got a student loan for my fees - student finance advised that I will still be eligible for a loan for the vetmed course, this will count as my "gift year". The fee loan for vet med will be £45000 over 5 years, so chamces are I'd be paying that off for the rest of my working life anyway!
I live on the Essex-London borders - I attend the Stratford campus from 6pm-9pm one evening a week. Some of my fellow students travel from further out in Essex, 1 hour+.

My lecturer is excellent and all the course materials are online to help with your studying and revision. There are several assignments for each module, so if you do it over one year, there is quite a lot of deadlines to keep up with. Time management is a must! But, i am really enjoying biology and think the course is great. Having other students for support is great too, helps to keep you motivated.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

P.s. vet nursing apprenticeships are quite rare, you usually have to work as a vca in a practice for a year or two before they'll pay for your training.
Thanks for the replies!

Original post by lwescott

Are you able to work your hours over 4 days and see practice one day a week or similar?

Unfortunately not - my working hours are strictly 7-4, but I can work a half day on a Friday.

Hi,

That's interesting. I've spoken to a few universities and have confirmation from a few that they will accept Access; one of those was Cambridge. I think the ones you've named will be the ones I'm mainly looking at anyway, so we should be good to go :smile:

Original post by mvictor
Hello,
The RVC will not accept the Access to HE courses that are delivered via distance learning and as such may not be suitable for me as I believe physical courses will take up a fair amount of the day in a class, as opposed to a lecture which will only take up a few hours of your day.

Really? Did RVC confirm this with you? I was under the impression that the Access courses are much the same providing they are QAA registered, which there is one provider of distance Access that is? I spoke to RVC and they said nothing about this... you've got me worrying now :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by seize_the_day
Really? Did RVC confirm this with you? I was under the impression that the Access courses are much the same providing they are QAA registered, which there is one provider of distance Access that is? I spoke to RVC and they said nothing about this... you've got me worrying now :redface:

AccessOnline.png

Hey, yes unfortunately RVC state on their website that they won't accept online versions. This was disappointing to me too! I prefer studying independently. Perhaps if you contact RVC and explain that you have undertaken this course but hadn't realised that the distance version wouldn't count, they may suggest contacting a local provider to observe practicals. When I contacted RVC about doing an Open University degree they stated that it will not provide me with the practical and lab experience needed, so the fact it is a degree doesn't make it superior to the A Levels. But I can't see why you wouldn't be able to gain entrance if you are able to provide evidence for the practical and lab work experience.

Who is your provider of your distance learning Access to HE course? Is this your first Level 3 course?
That's interesting. I've spoken to a few universities and have confirmation from a few that they will accept Access; one of those was Cambridge. I think the ones you've named will be the ones I'm mainly looking at anyway, so we should be good to go :smile:

Which college at Cambridge said they would accept it? Lucy Cavendish were the only mature college who responded to my enquiry and they said that they don't consider CertHE and Access courses for Vet Med.
Do check with them before applying - you don't want to waste an application if your course doesn't have their required number of credits etc. as you can only apply to four vet med courses.
Reply 10
The CertHE is similar to A Level Bio & Chem syllabuses, minus plant biology, as it is aimed at those wanting to work in subjects allied to medicine. Three people progressed to RVC vet med last year; you need Distinctions (70%) in all Chem & Bio units.

I am doing it over two years as i work fulltime, plus I'm learning to drive & need to do work experience. I got a student loan for my fees - student finance advised that I will still be eligible for a loan for the vetmed course, this will count as my "gift year". The fee loan for vet med will be £45000 over 5 years, so chamces are I'd be paying that off for the rest of my working life anyway!
I live on the Essex-London borders - I attend the Stratford campus from 6pm-9pm one evening a week. Some of my fellow students travel from further out in Essex, 1 hour+.

My lecturer is excellent and all the course materials are online to help with your studying and revision. There are several assignments for each module, so if you do it over one year, there is quite a lot of deadlines to keep up with. Time management is a must! But, i am really enjoying biology and think the course is great. Having other students for support is great too, helps to keep you motivated.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

P.s. vet nursing apprenticeships are quite rare, you usually have to work as a vca in a practice for a year or two before they'll pay for your training.

That sounds great :smile: It is good to know that you can still apply for student finance. This is something I was worried about, so I was expecting to pay £5k out of pocket, which is something I'd struggle with. I know, the uni fees are ridiculous, that's at least a very sizable deposit on a house.

What do you typically do in your practical face-face sessions? Is it mostly theory or lab work? Would there be any penalties to missing a face-face session? How is the work assessed? Do you have exams? What were your qualifications prior to this course? I see that they do not have any form entry requirements. I didn't take the sciences at GCSE or college.

As for uni, which is your first choice? What year are you hoping to attend? :smile:
Original post by mvictor
That sounds great :smile: It is good to know that you can still apply for student finance. This is something I was worried about, so I was expecting to pay £5k out of pocket, which is something I'd struggle with. I know, the uni fees are ridiculous, that's at least a very sizable deposit on a house.

:smile:

What do you typically do in your practical face-face sessions?
Each module is 10 sessions, you have 3 modules of Bio, 3 of Chem.
I'd say for each module, 6-7 are lectures, usually a powerpoint presentation (you usually cover 2 topics per session). 1 or 2 practical practical lab experiments, usually you will have to submit an report on these. Plus a revision session, then the end of module test.

In Modules 1 & 2, you do several assignments, a couple of short online quizzes and an end of module exam.
At the end of the 3rd Module you do couple of assignments and the end of year exam.
You also complete a Study and Research skills module, and a Personal Development module. There is an essay plus some other bits of coursework for these - there are 3 Saturday classes for each of these two modules.

Is it mostly theory or lab work?
Mostly theory, Biology has a couple of practical sessions per module.

Would there be any penalties to missing a face-face session?
Only that you will need to catch up in your own time, this is university level education so you are responsible for your own learning and tutors will not go chasing you for things - if you fail to submit an assignment it's your own responsibility. The way I think about it is, I'm paying for each of these classes so why miss them? I missed one lab practical due to a migraine.
I have not attended all of the Saturday sessions as I had completed some of the work early and so did not attend the session on work I have already submitted.

How is the work assessed?
Module 1 & 2 is about 80% coursework, 20% exam, Module 3 is the opposite,

What were your qualifications prior to this course?
GCSEs (7 As, 4 Bs) plus an abysmal attempt at AS Levels. You really need GCSE level knowledge to start the course - when you apply, if you get an interview they provide you with a pre-interview assessment, which is a set of questions to work through. It is to help you understand what level you are at, it is not a marked test as such. You discuss how you found it at interview, then the tutors help you decide if you are ready for the course.

As for uni, which is your first choice? What year are you hoping to attend?
I'm applying in October for 2017 entry, I'm not as flexible with uni choice as I'd like as it needs to be somewhere we can afford to live and that my partner can find work, so Bristol or RVC are my preferred options. Will probably apply to Nottingham and Liverpool too though.
Reply 12
Thanks for answering my questions Melora.

Yes I agree about attending the sessions as you have paid for them but my curiosity on the impact it would have to miss a class stems from the worry that I may not be able to make every session because of my work and rescue commitments. Do you have a time table set out in advance so that you know exactly when your practical sessions and tests will be? What is the likelihood that you won't be accepted onto the CertHE course? I suppose my best bet would be to contact them to discuss the options. I'm curious to see what the course materials and tests are like.

Hey, perhaps I'll see you at RVC then :h:
Original post by mvictor
AccessOnline.png

Hey, yes unfortunately RVC state on their website that they won't accept online versions. This was disappointing to me too! I prefer studying independently. Perhaps if you contact RVC and explain that you have undertaken this course but hadn't realised that the distance version wouldn't count, they may suggest contacting a local provider to observe practicals. When I contacted RVC about doing an Open University degree they stated that it will not provide me with the practical and lab experience needed, so the fact it is a degree doesn't make it superior to the A Levels. But I can't see why you wouldn't be able to gain entrance if you are able to provide evidence for the practical and lab work experience.

Who is your provider of your distance learning Access to HE course? Is this your first Level 3 course?

Oh wow. Thanks for that... I can't believe I missed that sentence in the entry requirements! I spoke to them over email and they recommended the Access course as an equal alternative to A levels, with a link to the Access to HE website... I scoured there to make sure I took out an accredited one. I'm working with the DLC on the Biomedical Science pathway. It seemed to make sense while still working to do distance, plus I was reluctant to wait until September to enrol (which was the case with most colleges around here). Looks like I need to have a conversation with them - do you know if any of the others have stipulations over distance learning (which surely shows an extra degree of initiative and ability to self-learn?).

I have other Level 3s under my belt, but sadly not relevant ones. I have NVQs and Diplomas, but no A levels.

Which college at Cambridge said they would accept it? Lucy Cavendish were the only mature college who responded to my enquiry and they said that they don't consider CertHE and Access courses for Vet Med.
Do check with them before applying - you don't want to waste an application if your course doesn't have their required number of credits etc. as you can only apply to four vet med courses.

I'm not sure which college, I contacted general Cambridge admissions re: veterinary, I was told I needed to "demonstrate evidence of recent academic achievement at a high level, for example in one or more A Levels, or an Access to HE Diploma".
Original post by mvictor
Thanks for answering my questions Melora.

Yes I agree about attending the sessions as you have paid for them but my curiosity on the impact it would have to miss a class stems from the worry that I may not be able to make every session because of my work and rescue commitments. Do you have a time table set out in advance so that you know exactly when your practical sessions and tests will be? What is the likelihood that you won't be accepted onto the CertHE course? I suppose my best bet would be to contact them to discuss the options. I'm curious to see what the course materials and tests are like.

Hey, perhaps I'll see you at RVC then :h:

Hi,

Your class is on the same day and time each week, you get a timetable at the beginning of each module with the dates for each topic and the lab dates etc.

If you miss the occasional class you may be able to go to one of the other classes in Central London that week, or just catch up on the material yourself (as I said, everything is online).

I can't comment on the acceptance rate on the CertHE course as I don't have access to their admissions data etc., best to contact them. They have recently started a January admission for it as well so imagine they do get a lot of applications, but as long as you show motivation in your application/personal statement I think you'll be fine. It's not going to be as competitive as vet school!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Oh wow. Thanks for that... I can't believe I missed that sentence in the entry requirements! I spoke to them over email and they recommended the Access course as an equal alternative to A levels, with a link to the Access to HE website... I scoured there to make sure I took out an accredited one. I'm working with the DLC on the Biomedical Science pathway. It seemed to make sense while still working to do distance, plus I was reluctant to wait until September to enrol (which was the case with most colleges around here). Looks like I need to have a conversation with them - do you know if any of the others have stipulations over distance learning (which surely shows an extra degree of initiative and ability to self-learn?).

I have other Level 3s under my belt, but sadly not relevant ones. I have NVQs and Diplomas, but no A levels.

No worries! It is a shame, I would have preferred to do it via distance learning too, which is why I am considering studying for A Levels as a private candidate. There is a lot to consider and it seems that each University has a different opinion on Access courses, I had a quick look at Cambridge and they prefer A Levels over access courses. The fact that your course is Biomedical Science would seem favourable to me. I'd suggest contacting them to ask for guidance. It may simply be a case that you'll have to secure additional lab work. I know there used to be the Biomedical Admissions Test but I believe they no longer require this, although it may be an option? Depending on how far along you are, you may be able to transfer to another college to sit exams and submit coursework.

Out of curiosity, what is your course like? I did look at DLC but honestly the website put me off. It didn't strike me as being a reputable provider and I hadn't heard of it before. But perhaps I am just judging a book by its cover?
I'm not sure which college, I contacted general Cambridge admissions re: veterinary, I was told I needed to "demonstrate evidence of recent academic achievement at a high level, for example in one or more A Levels, or an Access to HE Diploma".

Hmm... when I emailed admissions I was told;

"If you would be over 21 when you start the veterinary medicine degree, you would be considered a mature student . Applications for undergraduate study all go through the separate colleges here at Cambridge, rather than departments, so in order to find out whether you would be eligible, you need to contact one of the colleges that take graduate students. These Lucy Cavendish, which is a women's only college for students over 21, St. Edmund's and Wolfson."
I emailed the three, but only had a reply from Lucy Cavendish. The typical offer from Cambridge is A*A*A I think, so I wasn't that surprised by the response...
Original post by mvictor
No worries! It is a shame, I would have preferred to do it via distance learning too, which is why I am considering studying for A Levels as a private candidate. There is a lot to consider and it seems that each University has a different opinion on Access courses, I had a quick look at Cambridge and they prefer A Levels over access courses. The fact that your course is Biomedical Science would seem favourable to me. I'd suggest contacting them to ask for guidance. It may simply be a case that you'll have to secure additional lab work. I know there used to be the Biomedical Admissions Test but I believe they no longer require this, although it may be an option? Depending on how far along you are, you may be able to transfer to another college to sit exams and submit coursework.

Out of curiosity, what is your course like? I did look at DLC but honestly the website put me off. It didn't strike me as being a reputable provider and I hadn't heard of it before. But perhaps I am just judging a book by its cover?

I'll contact them and see if there's any options. RVC don't require the BMAT as of this year, but if something like that could put you in for a shot, who knows?

The course is pretty good, in my opinion. It's QAA approved and I believe it's the only distance provider that is for Access courses. It's viable to do it all yourself with enough work, but tutors are always to hand should you need the extra support; mine emails me back within 20 minutes or so if I ask him a question during the week. I am only a quarter in though, so we'll see how it goes! The A levels put me off somewhat due to the extra fees for sitting exams and such, and the Access courses seem to be more widely accepted nowadays.

Hmm... when I emailed admissions I was told;

"If you would be over 21 when you start the veterinary medicine degree, you would be considered a mature student . Applications for undergraduate study all go through the separate colleges here at Cambridge, rather than departments, so in order to find out whether you would be eligible, you need to contact one of the colleges that take graduate students. These Lucy Cavendish, which is a women's only college for students over 21, St. Edmund's and Wolfson."
I emailed the three, but only had a reply from Lucy Cavendish. The typical offer from Cambridge is A*A*A I think, so I wasn't that surprised by the response...

That's interesting. Gotta admit, I expected Cambridge to be asking for top A levels rather than anything else, but their email seemed to say otherwise. It's hard when they tell different people different things.
Reply 18
I'll contact them and see if there's any options. RVC don't require the BMAT as of this year, but if something like that could put you in for a shot, who knows?

The course is pretty good, in my opinion. It's QAA approved and I believe it's the only distance provider that is for Access courses. It's viable to do it all yourself with enough work, but tutors are always to hand should you need the extra support; mine emails me back within 20 minutes or so if I ask him a question during the week. I am only a quarter in though, so we'll see how it goes! The A levels put me off somewhat due to the extra fees for sitting exams and such, and the Access courses seem to be more widely accepted nowadays.

I'm glad you are enjoying your course. That sounds ideal for me, if only RVC would accept it. I'm eager to get into Vet med. Please let me know what they say regarding accepting your course.

I've just contacted a local college who offer Access to HE Science to find out what the hours and study schedule are like, as it would be easier in terms of not having to travel to London and not having to find all of my own course content and book my own fees. I'd have to take out an Advanced Learning Loan (which is now opening up to those 19+, previously it was 24+) but if you then continue on to the Vet Med degree they will completely write off your loan. This course would run between September 2016 - June 2017. The RVC states that the application deadline for 2016 entry is October, so I imagine 2017 entry would be the same? I'm not sure when the VetMed degree starts, do you know?

If you don't mind me asking, where about do you live?
Reply 19
I went ahead and emailed my local college regarding their Access to HE (Science) program. This was their response.

"Dear M. Thank you for your email. Your next opportunity to attend the Access to HE application event will be Monday 13th June 6.00pm (stage 1 written task) and Monday 11th July 6.00pm (stage 2 computer diagnostics). Please email me to confirm whether you will be attending these events. The hours of attendance per week for the Access courses is around 13-14 hours. Currently the Access to HE Science course is run on Wed, Thurs and Fri, starting at 9.15am and finishing no later than 2.45pm, however please be aware that this is subject to change for next year. You will be expected to carryout independent study during your free time the exact amount of hours you spend every week on independent study is a decision which you make for yourself. With regards to the resubmission of work, there may be some circumstances where the resubmission of work is permitted but this would be something you would have to discuss with your tutor at the time."

I didn't really want to have to go to college for three days a week but I won't rule it out completely. I suppose you have to do what you have to do. Seize_the_day, I imagine your local colleges would offer much the same time table as above. Perhaps contact them and ask if you can transfer some of your knowledge / work over for marking and complete the course with them?

Something else to consider is how Universities other than RVC rate the Access to HE course....

Cambridge: Attainment of an Access to HE Diploma with Distinctions in all relevant subject units can be acceptable preparation for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences and most arts subjects (excluding Economics) at the University of Cambridge. Some subjects may have additional academic requirements, see below and also check for any further requirements/preferences with the individual Colleges. In most instances, an Access to HE Diploma alone is not sufficient preparation to study a science subject (excluding Psychological and Behavioural Sciences) or Economics at Cambridge.In all cases, you should contact a College admissions office to discuss your individual circumstances. Certain subject-specific requirements may be included in conditional offers for particular courses at Cambridge as well. Natural Sciences A Level Mathematics is required for the Physical Sciences and recommended for the Biological Sciences (although there is a Year 1 for those without A Level Mathematics, the better applicants' mathematical ability is before they come to Cambridge, the better they will get on)

Edinburgh: "We recognise two access courses as alternative routes to studying medicine. College of West Anglia Access to Medicine Course Sussex and Downs Adult College Access to Medicine Course. If you are undertaking or intending to undertake a different access to medicine course, contact the Admissions Office for advice, detailing the access course syllabus and your previous qualifications." (Note: This doesn't state Veterinary Medicine, however it is listed under College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine. The VetMed degree does not have a section on accepting Access courses - The same applies for Glasgow)

Nottingham: I couldn't find any reference to Access to HE courses on their website.

Personally I would only consider RVC, Cambridge or Edinburgh due to location.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest