The Student Room Group

Most expensive/fancy restaurant you've visited?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantex
Went to a 2 star Michellin restaurant in Chamonix, France recently. Main courses were around €100. Lots of snails, foie gras, truffles etc.

It just confirmed what I already knew that I'm not that keen on formal dining. Spending €25 on a massive steak down the road and teaching profane English to random Frenchmen is more my kind of culinary experience.

How was the foie gras and truffles? Black truffles??

Original post by iEthan
Restaurant Gordon Ramsay :lol: some distant family member decided to pay for it all… I think it worked out something mental (£85 pp)! I would never pay that amount of money if it were me :hand: I'll stick to Harvester…

That being said, the food was incredible…

I really want to go to this one, looks amazing!

GR, not Harvester :P
skylon restaurant near the london eye was £100 a head plus a bottle of champagne and a couple of cocktails each
i think the total was £350-£400 after leaving a tip

Spoiler

Original post by hezzlington
I refuse to believe you guys.

My family's never really been one to spend unecessary amounts of money on food...if it tastes decent/good I'm happy :dontknow:

Original post by Tcannon
Hey,

You would be a perfect cheap date. Low maintenance

Thanks?

Original post by trustmeimlying1
TGI fridays is worse.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Haha never been...tbh Nandos is not the most expensive...probably some Indian restaurants but I don't remember the names :lol:
The Tasting Menu at Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck. It was amazing. (It was an extremely generous gift and my whole family went - I don't just go around dropping hundreds of pounds on a meal!)
i havent been to any really, not overly expensive but my bf went to the ritz once
Original post by WoodyMKC
I always tend to spend more on Domino's than I do any restaurant. I refuse to spent significant amounts on something that's going to come out of my arse at some point in the next 24 hours.

:toofunny:
I grew up poor so Harvester was genuinely an enormous luxury. The most expensive restaurant I have been to probably didn't cost me more than £40 - 50 before wine, but then a few bottles of wine at £20 - £30 adds to it if we are counting drinks. I have certainly never been anywhere posh.
Original post by Persipan
The Tasting Menu at Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck. It was amazing. (It was an extremely generous gift and my whole family went - I don't just go around dropping hundreds of pounds on a meal!)

I live near there so its my dream to go!
Genuinely not been to many, I went to this like fish and chip place on Eden Island in Seychelles that was quite fancy, the chef like literally prepared the fish right in front of me in a like outdoor type thing, it was on a docking area for these big ass yachts.
burger and lobster? I dont really eat at resturants but that was the most expensive and it was rubbish.
Either Oblix at the Shard, the OXO tower or Hakkasan

@jamesthehustler did you like the food at Skylon I thought it was rather average?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
burger and lobster? I dont really eat at resturants but that was the most expensive and it was rubbish.

Omg why did you find it rubbish?! It's such good value at only £20 a head and the cocktails are so good
Original post by jawsontheflooor
Omg why did you find it rubbish?! It's such good value at only £20 a head and the cocktails are so good

oh haha I am not talking about the money. The food was overrated in my opinion. Salad tasted nice though
Original post by jawsontheflooor
Either Oblix at the Shard, the OXO tower or Hakkasan

@jamesthehustler did you like the food at Skylon I thought it was rather average?

i found it pretty good but i was a little worse for wear as the chauffeured car had a bottle of champagne between two the we had another bottle once we arrived and cocktails as well and i had a glass of glenfiddich 21 at the end
Manchester House. It's an Aiden Byrne restaurant in a tower, the restaurant is low down in the building with an open kitchen and the food presentation is very visually intriguing - every dish has a story. The best part is there's a 12th floor sky lounge bar you can go up to for drinks which overlooks the whole of Manchester city centre. On a clear day, it's brilliant.

Original post by WoodyMKC
I always tend to spend more on Domino's than I do any restaurant. I refuse to spent significant amounts on something that's going to come out of my arse at some point in the next 24 hours.

But when you go to a nice restaurant you're not buying food, you're buying an experience. You might not be able to hold on to the dish you enjoyed for longer than 24 hours or even remember exactly how it tasted, but you'll remember how you felt when you ate it for months after its exited your arse. We remember the feelings invoked by the food and drinks, the conversation, the atmosphere, the design of the restaurant, and the service ... that's the joy of eating out.

As bar expert Jon Taffer once said "We don't sell products, we sell reactions."
I went to Rules in London as a graduation present - it was an amazing experience. Also it was so posh! It had a doorman to let you in and I think it was established in like the 1800's. The cocktails were to die for.

There's a bit in skyfall where Bond and Ralph Finnes have a secret meeting in there as well, I was like oooooh I've sat where Daniel Craig has sat :tongue:
Original post by IanDangerously
Manchester House. It's an Aiden Byrne restaurant in a tower, the restaurant is low down in the building with an open kitchen and the food presentation is very visually intriguing - every dish has a story. The best part is there's a 12th floor sky lounge bar you can go up to for drinks which overlooks the whole of Manchester city centre. On a clear day, it's brilliant.

But when you go to a nice restaurant you're not buying food, you're buying an experience. You might not be able to hold on to the dish you enjoyed for longer than 24 hours or even remember exactly how it tasted, but you'll remember how you felt when you ate it for months after its exited your arse. We remember the feelings invoked by the food and drinks, the conversation, the atmosphere, the design of the restaurant, and the service ... that's the joy of eating out.

As bar expert Jon Taffer once said "We don't sell products, we sell reactions."

My only reaction is going to be "This is nice and all, but I can't help but feel like I could have made it myself and probably would enjoy it more knowing I paid much less for it". Feeling like I've been ripped off isn't an experience I enjoy.
You should try The Ivy, it serves the most amazing food. And the food is very good value for money in terms of portion size, quality and service compared to any other place I've dined in London. That's once you get a reservation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Madhu's in Southall :yy: Or Koyla in Leicester. Only eat there rarely though, usually Harvester or Nandos would do for me :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Wimpy

Quick Reply

Latest