The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiny hobbit
Doesn't matter. The relationships between the various sides etc works equally well with either.

You haven't looked at my diagrams, have you?

Guilty, now I have - thanks! Not sure how I didn't know this before.
Original post by Zacken
Guilty, now I have - thanks! Not sure how I didn't know this before.

Hey Zacken, do you have a C4 textbook near you? :smile: I need some help
Original post by KINGYusuf
Hey Zacken, do you have a C4 textbook near you? :smile: I need some help

I don't own one, no - but I can open up the solution bank if you tell me what chapter/question? You'll need to post your own workings, though.
Original post by Zacken
I don't own one, no - but I can open up the solution bank if you tell me what chapter/question? You'll need to post your own workings, though.

Exercise 5B, question 8f

Tells me to find FG. So what I did was:

FG = FB + BG

FB I already worked out was 1/4b - 1/4a

The mark scheme got BG as 2b

But I thought the ratio between OG:OB = 3:1

OB is given as b, and OB is also basically 1/4OG right?

So BG is 3/4OG, correct? So isn't BG 3b?

They got BG to be 2b
Original post by KINGYusuf
Exercise 5B, question 8f

Tells me to find FG. So what I did was:

FG = FB + BG

FB I already worked out was 1/4b - 1/4a

The mark scheme got BG as 2b

But I thought the ratio between OG:OB = 3:1

OB is given as b, and OB is also basically 1/4OG right?

So BG is 3/4OG, correct? So isn't BG 3b?

They got BG to be 2b

I think I know what the question is, so I'm not going to look it up - let me know if this is wrong. OG is the entire thing is "3" so OB is the length of O to B and is a subset of the entire thing. So OB is 1 and BG is 2 to make OG 3.
Reply 1325
Has anyone got the c4 2015 paper they will be willing to email me please?
Original post by habzi

Dw it was easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habzi

Just go on their [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371&Exam-Series=June-2015#step4"]website...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Regrettably, I am horrible at spotting substitutions although I can generally monkey through the working when given them.

Something that helped me; every time you do a by parts question, after doing it, redo it while trying to use u substitution. It helps to appreciate the two methods as well.
Original post by thad33
Something that helped me; every time you do a by parts question, after doing it, redo it while trying to use u substitution. It helps to appreciate the two methods as well.

Pardon? Can you give an example?
I need some guidance guys. Theres just over 10 weeks until c4. How do i continuously revise keeping things fresh in my mind. I know that whenever i revise a topic for a few days ill forget something else. e.g Ill take 3 days hammering out vectors, then forget parametric integration.Then come the next week i will have forgotten vectors. Its becoming so frustrating :angry:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Pardon? Can you give an example?

Look in the textbook, pick a by-parts question and try and apply u sub instead. Not every question will work though. Or use madasmaths for loads of u sub Q's
Original post by MDargg1
I need some guidance guys. Theres just over 10 weeks until c4. How do i continuously revise keeping things fresh in my mind. I know that whenever i revise a topic for a few days ill forget something else. e.g Ill take 3 days hammering out vectors, then forget parametric integration.Then come the next week i will have forgotten vectors. Its becoming so frustrating :angry:

Don't focus on it topic-by-topic, then. Do entire papers or revise more than one topic a day.
Original post by MDargg1

I have the same problem. I've made a brief page of formula's and techniques needed so I can refer to that when I'm stuck.
Once I've finished a unit I make sure to continue doing questions while moving onto another. For example leaving say 5 mixed exercise questions to do while learning another topic.
Keep rotating the subjects you focus on for past papers each day. If you're revising C4, procrastinate with a C3 paper or a physics paper to stay fresh in everything. For example I'm revising C4 right now but I'll make sure to do a chemistry paper and C3 paper tonight to keep standards up. Then when it comes to exams you can cram a load of papers in a couple of days before it to focus deeply on that one paper.
Can (sin2x)^2 be expanded to 4sin^2xcos^2x or is that breaking a tonne of maths rules?
Original post by kingaaran
But you are already working at a higher level of maths. You have no need to do more than a few C3/4 papers, as it's fairly routine for you.

However many students are only working at that C3/4 level, and haven't gone above that level. So for them doing more past papers and practice is necessary, I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To an extent this is true of people who take Further Maths as well, especially FP2 etc. There's so much stuff from C3/4 which can be verified using Further Pure methods etc, which Further Maths students are basically doing all the time haha. The more the better though so in general while there's no set number of past papers one has to do to ensure themselves a good grade, I think proficiency and comfort with these techniques is vital.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thad33
Can (sin2x)^2 be expanded to 4sin^2xcos^2x or is that breaking a tonne of maths rules?

Yeh that is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been stuck on a question for ages. I've hacked away a couple of pages worth of working and still no clue how to do it. I've looked at the markscheme and I'm still confused.

Chapter 6 Integration, Exercise I, Q4b. I was able to do 4a but b is doing my box in now. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh that is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
Original post by thad33
I've been stuck on a question for ages. I've hacked away a couple of pages worth of working and still no clue how to do it. I've looked at the markscheme and I'm still confused.

Chapter 6 Integration, Exercise I, Q4b. I was able to do 4a but b is doing my box in now. Any help would be appreciated

Could you post a screenshot or picture?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending