The Student Room Group

Aqa triple science *official thread* *2016* (gcse)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FaithKG
Yes i definitely think so.
in 2011 (i think) you only needed 40 or 30/60 for an A*
in 2015 you needed 50/60 for an A*
So there is a trend... Addionally because we are one of the last years to do this spec they are more likely to be brutal to us :s-smilie:

The ISAs is 25% of your overall grade so it is pretty much the equivalent to any of the other papers (unit 1- 25% unit 2-25% unit 3-25% unit 4(which is the isa)-25%)

Hey there,
50/60 was only for chemistry though, physics and biology were 47 or 45 :smile:
If the exam was hard wouldn't the grade boundaries go down though because everyone or some would have done terrible. I'm not sure ?! Confused really :smile: :s-smilie: Haha
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey there,
If the exam was hard wouldn't the grade boundaries go down though because everyone or some would have done terrible. I'm not sure ?! Confused really :smile: :s-smilie: Haha

Yeah they would go down because less people would have higher marks
Original post by blueribbons99
Yeah they would go down because less people would have higher marks

Exactly :smile: but everyone is saying there is a trend that it's going up each year and i agree with it :smile:
Wouldn't the exam be with some easy questions and some hard ? What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Exactly :smile: but everyone is saying there is a trend that it's going up each and i agree with it :smile:
Wouldn't the exam be with some easy questions and some hard ? What do you think?
typically every year the exam doesn't necessarily get easier but as the exam board goes into the spec they have to cover every topic before it ends, therefore this year it should be a lot easier to predict what topics will come up as its last and teachers become better at teaching how to answer the questions so the grade boundaries will most likely increase unless no body bothers to revise or thetest is like ridiculously hard though, I could be inccorect though just my opinion
typically every year the exam doesn't necessarily get easier but as the exam board goes into the spec they have to cover every topic before it ends, therefore this year it should be a lot easier to predict what topics will come up as its last and teachers become better at teaching how to answer the questions so the grade boundaries will most likely increase unless no body bothers to revise or thetest is like ridiculously hard though, I could be inccorect though just my opinion

Oh ok, i understand :smile:
How can you predict what topics would come up though ?"
Oh ok, i understand :smile:
How can you predict what topics would come up though ?"

so theres like no 100% way to get it correct but i guess if plant hormones had come up on the previous 2 B1 exams there is less chance of it coming up again or taking up a lot of marks ( this is just an example idk if it has)
so theres like no 100% way to get it correct but i guess if plant hormones had come up on the previous 2 B1 exams there is less chance of it coming up again or taking up a lot of marks ( this is just an example idk if it has)

Oh ok, I get you but the thing is even though that they have to cover everything before the end, but the way they ask the question might be hard as well. Plus my teacher at school just teaches us everything and she never says this is a prediction blah blah and she never focuses on one thing and concentrates on it for a prolonged time. I wish my teacher had some prediction :frown:
Oh ok, I get you but the thing is even though that they have to cover everything before the end, but the way they ask the question might be hard as well. Plus my teacher at school just teaches us everything and she never says this is a prediction blah blah and she never focuses on one thing and concentrates on it for a prolonged time. I wish my teacher had some prediction :frown:

yeah jut predictions can be wrong probably just best to focus on everything, thats what i am doing:P
yeah jut predictions can be wrong probably just best to focus on everything, thats what i am doing:P

Yeh same :smile: It's safer
Reply 109
Why are you all worrying you guys are crayy crayy :colone:

Just go over everything so you're ready for anything
Original post by Miaw89
Why are you all worrying you guys are crayy crayy :colone:

What do you mean? :s-smilie:
Reply 112
[QUOTE="Oblivion99;64028385"]Terminal velocity: when air resistance is = to your weight, then you reach a terminal velocity. This is the highest velocity attainable by an object as it falls through air. All inaminate objects, and humans, have momentum and thus have atleast two forces acting on them. [Weight and Air Resistance] :^_^: Thus when you fall in the air, its these two forces that act on you. But which one is bigger? If your falling at a high velocity in the air, which will be bigger, air resistance or weight? Air resistance, but weight will also be acting upon you but at a lower distribution. Air resistance exists because air molecules collide into a falling body creating an upward force opposite gravity. This upward force will eventually balance the falling body's weight. Parachutes lower the terminal velocity, so its safe for you to land on the ground. If not then, :bike:

Electromagnetic, is when you have an iron core (in appliance) and as there is a changing magnetic field in the iron core, an current/pd is induced along the ends of a secondary coil attached to a primary coil. If there was an d.c instead of a.c, no current would be changed and thus the p.d would be 0.

Motor effect: when a wire cuts the field lines of a magnetic field, it causes a force to act on the wire. If you resemble, with flemings left hand rule you can find the direction/current etc. Its hard to explain on here but i'll leave a link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/triple_aqa/keeping_things_moving/the_motor_effect/revision/3/[/QUOTE]

OMG thank you sooooo much!!! Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by homeland.lsw
Well if you look at the post above yours you'll see a lovely example!
I'm happy to answer any bio or chem related questions though! :smile:

Haha yeah thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 114
My exams are next year, Summer 2017, and I've just done my mocks. My science teachers are awful, is it a good idea to start self teaching C3, B3 and P3? As I believe these are slightly smaller units - or do I need things from the previous 6 units to be able to do these properly?
Original post by tfmpe
My exams are next year, Summer 2017, and I've just done my mocks. My science teachers are awful, is it a good idea to start self teaching C3, B3 and P3? As I believe these are slightly smaller units - or do I need things from the previous 6 units to be able to do these properly?

Yeah my science teachers were awful and I thought it seemed hard but I used mygcsescience and revision guides to teach myself, and it was a lot easier than I thought.
Reply 116
Original post by sunny181113
Yeah my science teachers were awful and I thought it seemed hard but I used mygcsescience and revision guides to teach myself, and it was a lot easier than I thought.

Ok, ta
Hey there,

Thats true but thats if a majority does badly but most likely the grade boundaries are going to go up. I guess all we can do is hope for the best :smile:
Original post by tfmpe

For some topics, core and additional is useful. However what my teacher always told me was that each unit builds on the one before. So additional is just core but with the extra knowledge and depth, and further additional is building on that further. However there are some topics which are different to what you will have learnt before but like I said, a lot of it incorporates skills you learn in core and additional. Getting a head start is never a bad idea, it'll help you understand it better when it comes round to you being taught it at school.

I also agree with the other person who mentioned mygcsescience. I paid for the full subscription and it's been so helpful in revision!
Hey guys I've got a quick question :smile:
For biology ISA i got an A is it possible for me to get an A* overall ?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending