The Student Room Group

Popular people - advice ?

Hi

Okay this might sound weird, whatever I'm going to go for it noone knows me on here:tongue:
so basically im not popular, im not a social outcast and i guess i talk to lots of people but i never do anything, never get invited anywhere because im not really close to anyone.

While popularity shouldn't matter , it does ( in my school anyway) for going to parties. I feel like if I had a social life i would feel less lonely and have more friends. I've never had a boyfriend, never been kissed , never been invited to a party just a very lonely way to spend my teens. I only have one friend at the moment and she's horrible to me. She always tells me im disgusting ugl fat horrible and i can't escape it because i would literally be on my own. I just need to get out the house more, have a bit of fun and make friends.

So , people that go to things like parties ( in high school ) how on earth do i approach getting invited. How do i even make new friends ?

thankyou x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by katysharkiey
so basically im not popular, im not a social outcast and i guess i talk to lots of people but i never do anything, never get invited anywhere because im not really close to anyone.

Well for this bit just get close to ppl then:h:. you dont need to walk around with an 'I need to get close to ppl, friends please:colonhash:' badge but just go to events/clubs/activities/arts/sports that include your interest, you'll find similar like-minded ppl there hopefully:smile:

While popularity shouldn't matter , it does ( in my school anyway) for going to parties. I feel like if I had a social life i would feel less lonely and have more friends. .

This is very true:tongue: and I know a lot of ppl go through this and I applaud your honesty. However your argument hinges on that.....

popularity doesnt matter but parties do.

But WHY do parties matter??:s-smilie:

1) You meet people-but think about it, Im not discriminating against all the partiers cos there are some nice ones but quite a few will be there due to their popularity/looks/athletics achievements over being genuine good ppl, theyre likely to drink, guys can get violent and many mistakes and dramas arise from misunderstandings and wrong actions at parties, do you really want to be with these ppl?

2) You can get involved in stuff back at school and gossip-again is that what you REALLY want tho, do you want to be accepted or fall into their system of never-ending gossiping and pointless dramas, again generalising a lot here but its mostly true surprisingly, Ive been a both ends in my life, a lone wolf by choice and a real popular guy before

3) you go to have fun-yet again with THOSE ppl? yes generalising as usual but you could have fun with your friends and if you dont have any then *cliche alert* be yourself and just follow your passions, you cant please everyone anyway so dont try to, have good morals, be confident and make ppl laugh, thats all you need. Youll attract similar ppl anyway and have a better friends, its QUALITY NOT QUANTITY:h:

I've never had a boyfriend, never been kissed , never been invited to a party just a very lonely way to spend my teens. I only have one friend at the moment and she's horrible to me. She always tells me im disgusting ugl fat horrible and i can't escape it because i would literally be on my own. I just need to get out the house more, have a bit of fun and make friends.

One, shes not your friend so tell her to **** off :angry::angry:and get away from her ASAP.

You deserve better!!

It feels daunting being alone but chances are its worse with her trust me. BE YOURSELF you're stronger than this dependant relation with her, dare to be alone and boys will come and see you're different and unique, everything will fall into place like a jigsaw eventually.

How do i even make new friends ?

Covered that on point 3 of why go to parties, similar interests is key, you must like SOMETHING and if you dont, go to clubs(the learning ones) and activities and have a PASSION for something

believe it or not a lot of popular ppl are insecure and shallow (Im talking the MOST POPULAR ones like has all the parties, does the coolest stuff etc not offending general sociable ppl at all) this means they feel like they have to uphold a 'cool standard' or just do things to attract attention, dont worry about em, just be confident, people admire those who stand up against stuff.

Disclaimer: It may sound like my tone seems to be negative against popular ppl but Im only talking about the very top ones who are arrogant and know and abuse their position on the so called social ladder, I have nothing against normal friendly people who are very sociable and have lots of friends, just sayin not hatin Ok?

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
They're overrated. Literally.

EDIT:
HiOkay this might sound weird, whatever I'm going to go for it noone knows me on hereso basically im not popular, im not a social outcast and i guess i talk to lots of people but i never do anything, never get invited anywhere because im not really close to anyone.While popularity shouldn't matter , it does ( in my school anyway) for going to parties. I feel like if I had a social life i would feel less lonely and have more friends. I've never had a boyfriend, never been kissed , never been invited to a party just a very lonely way to spend my teens. I only have one friend at the moment and she's horrible to me. She always tells me im disgusting ugl fat horrible and i can't escape it because i would literally be on my own. I just need to get out the house more, have a bit of fun and make friends.So , people that go to things like parties ( in high school ) how on earth do i approach getting invited. How do i even make new friends ?thankyou x

[QUOTE="katysharkiey;64086917"]Hi
sorry it posted before i finished typing !!

You could be describing my life. Well, my life a few years ago anyway. What's changed since then? I'm not any more popular, that's for sure but I've realised that I don't want to be. Those people have to work so hard to seem so happy all the time and deep down they really aren't. You don't need that. How old are you? I think it was after about year 9/10 I had my "epiphany". After that, everyone else seemed to stop caring so much about popularity too - or maybe that's just my perception of it. Anyway, love yourself - and dump the "friend". She is baggage, unpleasant baggage, and doesn't deserve you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ForestShadow
so you want advice on what aspect of popular people?

how you can be one?
you dont need to be, cliche alert but be yourself and just follow your passions, you cant please everyone anyway so dont try to, have good morals, be confident and make ppl laugh, thats all you need
Reply 4
Original post by Platopus
They're overrated. Literally.

Reply 5
don't.

to become one of these people you'll have to sacrifice a lot of your morals, individuality etc. just to ''fit in with the crowd'' - it is not worth it.

Ah np wait 5-10mins Ill have a full answer with quotes gimme a sec
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi

Okay this might sound weird, whatever I'm going to go for it noone knows me on here:tongue:

While popularity shouldn't matter , it does ( in my school anyway) for going to parties. I feel like if I had a social life i would feel less lonely and have more friends. I've never had a boyfriend, never been kissed , never been invited to a party just a very lonely way to spend my teens. I only have one friend at the moment and she's horrible to me. She always tells me im disgusting ugl fat horrible and i can't escape it because i would literally be on my own. I just need to get out the house more, have a bit of fun and make friends.

So , people that go to things like parties ( in high school ) how on earth do i approach getting invited. How do i even make new friends ?

thankyou x

Join a club or group and make friends through there.

If you're old enough, or near old enough, go out clubbing. In order to be invited to these parties, you sort of need to go in the first place. This means you'll need to either 'sneak into' or get an invite to some in the first place. Maybe just ask someone if they'll ask the host 'can X come?'. It might sound cheeky at first but once you've been to a few then you'll be a go to person on the list.
Reply 8
Hi

thankyou x

I might not be a girl but I was in the same boat as you at school - I was invited to two parties (sort of) in the whole five years. I regretted going, to be in with the "popular kids" you have to be a ****. It's simple as that.

Btw, that popular group are now flunking college (or at least those that made it to second year) while I'm sat here with an unconditional for Hull uni.

Ah np wait 5-10mins Ill have a full answer with quotes gimme a sec

Don't bother dude - I can do it a lot quicker :wink:
Original post by Andy98
I might not be a girl but I was in the same boat as you at school - I was invited to two parties (sort of) in the whole five years. I regretted going, to be in with the "popular kids" you have to be a ****. It's simple as that.

Btw, that popular group are now flunking college (or at least those that made it to second year) while I'm sat here with an unconditional for Hull uni.

Don't bother dude - I can do it a lot quicker :wink:

Reply 10

Meh, you love those gifs and memes. Your originality seems to be drying up dude
Original post by Andy98
Meh, you love those gifs and memes. Your originality seems to be drying up dude

1) Yes I do, love those, imagery is important!
2) Definition of originality=the ability to think independently and creatively.

Reply 12
1) Yes I do, love those, imagery is important!
2) Definition of originality=the ability to think independently and creatively.

Those I'll give you, but the Kermit one is ridiculously overused
My friends and I were the group that were never invited to anything because we were "lame and not popular". I remember there was a time when this popular girl invited majority of the people in our year to her party but us. But I didn't even care lol, never even liked any of them people anyway.
Tbh I wouldn't bother because it's not worth it.
Hi

thankyou x

You really aren't missing out that much.

You just need to have hobbies and get out there doing things in order to meet people.

That friend sounds awful btw. Putting you down to make herself feel better. I think being a loner is preferable to that treatment.

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest