The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Haha, I don't generally revise that much the night before an exam - I get an early night :wink:

I can't get early nights, even when I try
Original post by Andy98
I can't get early nights, even when I try

How early would you consider an 'early night' to be? :holmes: when do you get to sleep? :tongue:
How early would you consider an 'early night' to be? :holmes: when do you get to sleep? :tongue:

For normal people: Early night would be before 10pm maybe
I usually don't get to sleep until midnight on an early night unless I've been really busy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
For normal people: Early night would be before 10pm maybeI usually don't get to sleep until midnight on an early night unless I've been really busy.

For me it's probably 10-10:30 :colondollar:
For me it's probably 10-10:30 :colondollar:

Fair enough
Update 11/04/2016

The first day back at school wasn't as dreadful as it could have been!
History: We planned an essay on Women's civil rights in America as we're at the half way point for that topic.
Free periods: In my frees today (2 hours), I did some more revision of Native American civil rights, tested myself on some flash cards for English Language, and annotated some more quotation flash cards for Literature.
English Language: We made some flash cards on theorists and terminology (I'd already made my own :mmm:), and our teacher told us that we'll be doing an exam paper every week from now on - I'll let you know how I get on with them.
English Literature: We were doing some work on narrative and characters in All My Sons, which I'm finding a bit pointless as I only need to learn one quotation for the exam from it (which I've already learnt)...

Creating a nice working environment
IMG_20160411_203803.jpg

As well as my stationery, I have a few other things that help me get into a 'working mood'. If I'm stressed, I can't concentrate on work - so I try to make my environment as relaxing as possible.

First thing is water! If I'm thirsty then I'll often be really thirsty and on the verge of dehydration. I try to keep a bottle/ cup of water with me at all times when I'm working, because I find that if I have to get up and go to the kitchen for a drink, then I won't bother because it will distract me too much. The bottle I like using at the minute is this one from Paperchase, that a friend got me for my birthday.

Next is lighting! I have an avid collection of fairy lights, which I use in the evening to add a bit more light if my main light isn't quite doing the job - straining your eyes is never good. They're also good to use with a lamp to create a more relaxing light than a blaring one, if you're stressed.

Finally is candles! I am a massive fan as scented candles (as you'd probably expect), and they're really good for creating a soothing environment - lavender is particularly good.

What sort of environment do you like to work in?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

(edited 8 years ago)
@Gingerbread101, I work usually on a laptop with music blasting out so I can't hear my parents nagging at me
Original post by Andy98
@Gingerbread101, I work usually on a laptop with music blasting out so I can't hear my parents nagging at me

Normally I'd recommend no loud music but that seems like a valid reason :lol:
Normally I'd recommend no loud music but that seems like a valid reason :lol:

Plus, I'm a freak - if I'm not listening to music my mind's trying to form more connections and rhymes, so it's ready for the next time I sit down to write. (Rhymes not intended)
Original post by Andy98
Plus, I'm a freak - if I'm not listening to music my mind's trying to form more connections and rhymes, so it's ready for the next time I sit down to write. (Rhymes not intended)

I often listen to ambiance music to stop myself from driftinh away, so I can relate :smile:
Are you a yankee candle fan too?! :nutcase:
Original post by Student403
Are you a yankee candle fan too?! :nutcase:

There's a shop near by me that always has a basket of discount ones :love: They're so nice and last for ages :h:
I often listen to ambiance music to stop myself from driftinh away, so I can relate :smile:

Yeah, for me there has to be some kind of lyrics going audibly
Fairy lights are so cute I love them so much:woo:

I can never work in my frees at college because I hate the environment so much. :redface:
@Gingerbread101 I seem to only be able to work efficiently when everything is calm and pieceful, so either on my desk in my room, or at a library. I can't listen to my favourites songs doing work as they get me too pumped and i cannot concentrate :biggrin:. I also HATE working in an untidy environment, it absolutely irritates me !
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, for me there has to be some kind of lyrics going audibly

I generally say what I'm writing in my head, and if there's two lots of words it messes with me :lol:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Fairy lights are so cute I love them so much:woo:

I can never work in my frees at college because I hate the environment so much. :redface:

They're so great, aren't they?! :awesome: I have another set that are silver wire scrunched up balls, and another that are paper lanterns :h:

We have a few 'common room' type areas, so people tend to spread out so it isn't as loud. We also have a silent study mezzanine though that I use in an emergency when people are really hyper and I can't concentrate, that one is really useful :smile:
I generally say what I'm writing in my head, and if there's two lots of words it messes with me :lol:

Can't do that - my body can't keep up
Original post by kennethdcharles
@Gingerbread101 I seem to only be able to work efficiently when everything is calm and pieceful, so either on my desk in my room, or at a library. I can't listen to my favourites songs doing work as they get me too pumped and i cannot concentrate :biggrin:. I also HATE working in an untidy environment, it absolutely irritates me !

I don't have a desk :emo: The downside of being obsessed with stationery and little trinkets is that I have a lot of STUFF, so my desk ended up being a storage space for mess :colondollar: I replaced it with an actual storage space, which has definitely helped taking away some of the clutter from the rest of my room, but it is always pretty untidy (which might be surprising considering my nerdy, tidy attitude towards my notes :lol:). I really like working in a library though, especially the light and airy ones :biggrin:

I have the same problem with music too, I get too invested in singing the lyrics in my head :giggle:
Original post by Andy98
Can't do that - my body can't keep up

Too much of a speed demon at writing obviously :lol:
Too much of a speed demon at writing obviously :lol:

Loool no - dyspraxia means all the electrical* impulses go the long way round.

(My brain finished that message where the asterisk is - the body was playing catch up for the rest)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending