The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by BaconandSauce
I do try

Hence #AllLivesMatter

Consider BlackLivesMatter as a sub campaign trying to accomplish that
Reply 361
When do they become a hate group? when they are clearly full of radical black nationalists, who call for killing of whites and cops...

Is that not enough for you lot?

They have it here too in Britain. We shouldn't tolerate them, unlike America we don't have real free speech so ban that group and its stupid supporters who can't think rationally.

They act on pure emotion and suffer from a serious victimhood complex. They make it out like you can't walk down streets without being killed by cops LOL

They're hysterical. Not shocking that so many students on here support them young people are so stupid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 362
Original post by Zereth
When do they become a hate group? when they are clearly full of radical black nationalists, who call for killing of whites and cops...

Is that not enough for you lot?

They have it here too in Britain. We shouldn't tolerate them, unlike America we don't have real free speech so ban that group and its stupid supporters who can't think rationally.

They act on pure emotion and suffer from a serious victimhood complex. They make it out like you can't walk down streets without being killed by cops LOL

They're hysterical. Not shocking that so many students on here support them young people are so stupid.

You said it yourself 'radical black nationalists' I agree with this to an extent, there are people who go about it in a wrong way. Sometimes I see it and get annoyed and it makes me think quite a lot like you. But it's not a lie that there is strong racism in America and I support the campaign to the extent of stopping that, all the extra parts I quite dislike and find that it ruins the strength and view of it.

In Britain we have more free speech when it comes to politics in my opinion, we don't need crazy people like trump to voice our opinions and exaggerate them, we're open with our views and get on with it. I personally see no need for the activists in Britain, I'm proud of the racial equality we have here and the work our police do to actually protect us and not attack us. Sometimes the activists do cross the line like when the Mark dugon issue Happened, that was ridiculous however something like that in America actually happens, a black man is shot for no reason (as claimed happened to Mark but the evidence says otherwise)
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Well you dont really choose your religion, you do to an extent and i do believe that there is a discussion to be had on the dangers of religion to society i just dont believe that that discussion should be specific to islam. The difference is that the police force is an organisation, if i were to say that all americxans are responsible for the actions of the police that would be similar to saying all muslims are responsible for isis. Put it like this... Everyone who joins isis is responsivble for what isis does yeah? So therefore eceryone who joins the police force is responsible for what the police do.

That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. A policeman in Wichita is responsible for the actions of a policeman in Dayton? Like I said people join ISIS for one reason so when they do something all members are responsible but people join the police for a number of reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. A policeman in Wichita is responsible for the actions of a policeman in Dayton? Like I said people join ISIS for one reason so when they do something all members are responsible but people join the police for a number of reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

People join isis for a number of reasons... And saying the police force is responsible for something isnt to say that they are individually accountable for each others acvtions, its saying that the people in charge of the police force right now should be thinking about what they can do to change the attitude that a significant number of police offocers seem to hold at the moment.
Original post by zayn008
You see I don't get why people say this. Yes technically speaking all lives do matter but this is a campaign to tackle the prejudice and discrimination black people uniquely face, the issues a black man faces are different to that of a rich or normal white American man faces, the latter being able to uphold his basic human rights.

I'm not active at all in the BLM campaign, it's too complicated and complex for me although I see its validity and the necessity for it to gain attention. What you've done Is like having a person say "gay lives matter" in a campaign to legalise homosexuality then replying all lives matter… yes that's true but a straight guy isn't being killed because he can't control his feelings, you've just basically told him "shut up you're not the only one with problems you don't deserve a voice, #AllLivesMatter even though I don't know the purpose behind this campaign" . We're all different and face unique issues which other groups in society do not.

I find it absolutely appalling you diminish the values of this campaign by counter attacking it with an invalid bid of 'all lives matter' which is just an attempt to prove the value of their rights is not significant. If you believe all lives matter then fight the inequality black people face.

I think that the movement would be better titled "black lives matter too." When "black lives matter" is mentioned, people naturally ask, "well, shouldn't all lives matter?". Whereas if you say that black lives matter too, you are implying that other lives do matter, and are stating that black lives should also matter too.
Original post by The Epicurean
I think that the movement would be better titled "black lives matter too." When "black lives matter" is mentioned, people naturally ask, "well, shouldn't all lives matter?". Whereas if you say that black lives matter too, you are implying that other lives do matter, and are stating that black lives should also matter too.

Sorry to jump in.

You can also argue that women fighting for better conditions via women's rights should label it as "Women Empowerment too"; after all some men are not empowered. Or Gay Pride should be labelled as "Gay rights too" because not all members outside the LGBT community have sufficient rights.

I am just want to point out that trying to appease people by modifying a slogan, just because of political correctness or "word niceness" will dissolve the essence of the campaign or the movement in the first place. Even if it was just "Black Lives" without the "matter", I think that the point was to raise awareness on an issue that required a solution. Yes, there are many issues, but people wanted a solution to this one.

I think that those who are against the movement are not completely truthful that they really care about "all lives matter." It was more of a counter-measure for the #BLM campaign. I think that they feel targeted i.e. Black versus white or black versus everyone else. As a result, parts of the counter-argument are try to find loopholes in the campaign, even to the point of finding fault in the name.

This is evident with the questions from people such as "But, black on black crime is higher than innocent black deaths by Police Officers", "Whites, Native Americans and other races die from police killing, should they start a campaign?", "what of the black thugs who rape, steal and kill other people?", "One of the campaign leaders said something racist or terrible, surely this movement should be stopped because of this person or few persons?"

People will seek to find loopholes in an effort to derail your desire to raise awareness.
Reply 367
You don't think they're getting out of hand? Google Black cop harassed by BlackLivesMatter

See the hatred in these people? some are after blood but why? because unarmed Blacks are dispassionately killed by police compared to other races

Their hatred is aimed at both police and White people. It's simple as that. They see all cops as White pigs killing dindonuffin Black people. The media gives these deaths so much attention while non-Black people killed receives little. So this gives them the overall picture that Blacks are being mass murdered by evil racist White cops...

Don't you think there is an agenda at work here?

This victimhood is dangerous. The more you victimize them, the angrier and more violent they become. Then they start killing police, killing crackers....

They already have.

They are not doing themselves any favours by acting like this. They are just making conflict.
(edited 8 years ago)
Black lives matter is one of those movements that is something malicious that has been created out of legitimate grievances. Blacks in america do have a lot of legitimate grievences against the government and american society in general, no doubt. However, something as militant and ill founded as Black lives matter is NOT what the black community needs. If anything, it divides the races even more.

Considering how the three founders took a large amount of inspiration from a domestic terrorist (as opposed to somebody like MLK) and has inflamed racial tensions in cities like Ferguson. It also disappoints me how they would forcibly seize the platform of the one politician who seems to genuinely care about their grievances.

Blacks in America need more MLKs and more peaceful reformers, not violent reformers. Violent reformers only alienate the silent majority and galvanise them to vote against their candidates, as we saw in the George McGovern vs Richard Nixon Election in 1972.
Reply 369
Why is it always the people who say they're fighting for justice and against hatred are the most hateful of people?

This isn't hate?

wow.jpg

You'll often see signs like this, and also t-shirts reading my heroes are all cop killers..

These cops are human beings!

What about these two cops, what did they do to deserve to die?

Is every Black person killed by police a victim? what about the majority of people who are killed by police, non-Black people?

Yes I'm aware that unarmed Blacks are more likely to be killed but there's always cases of police being trigger happy and killing people. They want to turn this into a purely race issue when it is far more complex than that.
(edited 8 years ago)
People join isis for a number of reasons... And saying the police force is responsible for something isnt to say that they are individually accountable for each others acvtions, its saying that the people in charge of the police force right now should be thinking about what they can do to change the attitude that a significant number of police offocers seem to hold at the moment.

People join ISIS because they have been radicalised. There are lots of reasons as to why people are radicalised.

Significant by what measurement? Relatively speaking it's an incredibly insignificant number

Posted from TSR Mobile
People join ISIS because they have been radicalised. There are lots of reasons as to why people are radicalised.

Significant by what measurement? Relatively speaking it's an incredibly insignificant number

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i dont know about you but if this many stories came up abou t people in an organisation i was in killing people, i would want to do something about it.
Original post by trillinhomie
good stuff mane, I juss hope we never get events in like what happens in the US where innocent black people are killed

The quote below is a really strong rebuttal. Why didn't you respond when you replied to virtually every one else that quoted you.

Original post by ckingalt
The Black Lives Matter Movement in the U.S. is built upon a level of indignation that is only partially justified. Police do sometimes abuse their power, and the victims are often people of color. There is no doubt that race plays a role. I would argue that the greater contributor is poverty. The social reality is that more black people live in poverty and the contentious areas for police are often predominately black neighborhoods.

Police officers come into these areas and are confronted with both, criminal behavior from some and a hostile attitude from most. Police officers are black, white, hispanic, and all other races. They are also working class dudes. The average level of education is marginal and the pay is low. The community know exactly what police can and can't legally do, and that can be exploited.

Imagine yourself in their average shoes. They are probably male, and somewhat athletic. Considerable pride is a motivation. Wearing a uniform, having authority, and getting respect are a large reason for choosing the job. However, they really do want to fight crime and be a hero. Instead they find themselves day in and day out dealing with criminals and underclasses who know exactly how to provoke them and get away with it. The delusion is shattered, and they realize the few will get a legitimate chance for glory. Instead they are a glorified doormat.

I would never be a police officer, because I don't have the temperament for it. I would have the best of intentions but I would eventually retaliate when provoked by people whose behavior deserved my contempt. I would throw them down harder than necessary, I would put the cuffs on too tight, I might bump their head when putting them in the van, and I might even hit the brakes real hard to give them a "rough ride". I would never be capable of cold blooded murder, and neither are almost every police officer. There have been exceptions and those cops deserve to rot in prison for the rest of their lives.

A well trained guard shouldn't bite someone just for teasing it. The owner will still be liable for it when it does. Don't expect me feel overly sympathetic for the victim though.
Well i dont know about you but if this many stories came up abou t people in an organisation i was in killing people, i would want to do something about it.

'This many' - like I said relatively speaking there aren't that many at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
'This many' - like I said relatively speaking there aren't that many at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesnt matter really, if it was anyone else they would have been investigated a long time ago.
It doesnt matter really, if it was anyone else they would have been investigated a long time ago.

That's because other than the military, no organisation has the authority to shoot people

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's because other than the military, no organisation has the authority to shoot people

Posted from TSR Mobile

The police dont really either, theyre supposed to only use their guns as a last resort. Not because someone was stealing cigarettes. They certainly arent allowed to kill someone after they have already been arrested as they have many times.
The police dont really either, theyre supposed to only use their guns as a last resort. Not because someone was stealing cigarettes. They certainly arent allowed to kill someone after they have already been arrested as they have many times.

The police have never killed someone because they were "stealing cigarettes".
Original post by The_Opinion
The police have never killed someone because they were "stealing cigarettes".

Thats what they said mike brown was doing
Thats what they said mike brown was doing

Not true. He was shot because he assaulted a police officer and was moving towards the police officer, most likely to assault him for a second time. Please do not spread lies / mistruths.

Latest

Trending

Trending