The Student Room Group

Does the number of words in a French Writing Controlled Assessment matter?

I have a French Writing Controlled Assessment in a few days and I feel quite prepared. It says on my task that I should aim to write between 350 - 450 words. Now I have prepared my task so that it will be 756 words. This is a huge number as well as over the limit by a lot, but I am confident that I will remember it during the exam.

But the question is would I lose any marks if I write too much?
Please reply as soon as possible

Ukvoltaire
You will lose marks if you have included information that is not relevant and if what you're saying isn't accurate. My advice would be to go through your draft again and look at your task sheet, and remove anything that isn't completely relevant. Waffling on about nothing just to increase your count won't increase your marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I have a French Writing Controlled Assessment in a few days and I feel quite prepared. It says on my task that I should aim to write between 350 - 450 words. Now I have prepared my task so that it will be 756 words. This is a huge number as well as over the limit by a lot, but I am confident that I will remember it during the exam.

Ukvoltaire

I'll be as clear as I can when I say this: Yep!
Reply 3
Original post by lostintrnslation
You will lose marks if you have included information that is not relevant and if what you're saying isn't accurate. My advice would be to go through your draft again and looj at your task sheet, and remove anything that isn't completely relevant. Waffling on about nothing just to increase your count won't increase your marks.

I have checked through my draft several times, but I can't find anything that is irrelevant to the task. My draft mentions everything and I haven't drifted anywhere in the essay.
x

I guess it depends. Have you asked your teacher? For my first one, he said it was fine but for the second one I did he was much more strict with the word limit. I think you should aim to reduce it down to around 500 and you should be fine. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
I'll be as clear as I can when I say this: Yep!

Why?
Reply 6
Original post by Matrix123
I guess it depends. Have you asked your teacher? For my first one, he said it was fine but for the second one I did he was much more strict with the word limit. I think you should aim to reduce it down to around 500 and you should be fine. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would try, but then I feel that it may lower in my content marks as well points from the task sheet to be unmentioned.
Why?

So, basically. The point of writing 350-450, or however many words it says, is to make your writing as concise as possible. Whilst showing the examiner you can write high level stuff as well.

I can guarantee you, especially if you're on the AQA board, that if you do 756 words you will lose marks. 756 is WAY off what they're asking you to write.
I would try, but then I feel that it may lower in my content marks as well points from the task sheet to be unmentioned.

True...tbh I felt like that but in the end I did it anyway and I'm awaiting my results at the moment. The task said there was a limit of 300 and my teacher said it was a maximum of 315. I had 700 words :colonhash: but I managed to cut bits out to get to just over 500. I guess it's a matter of looking at the whole range across your overall piece of work. Making a checklist really does help - at least I thought so anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Ukvoltaire

They won't take off any marks but I still recommend you try to reduce it down. Although you think that you'll remember it all, you'll have less time to check it and think about what you're writing. I've finished all of my French writing tasks and got full marks in each. I wrote 500-600 words. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10

Ukvoltaire

756 words would be far too much.

The amount you'll actually remember will be less. Factor in the time constraint, the fact that it's an exam... I hate to be cynical, but there's no way you'd remember all of that.

You also need to make sure that your grammar is good - a longer piece which is not as well written (especially if you mis-remember) is far worse than a more concise piece with great grammar. And a longer piece is likely to have more mistakes.

If you're given a word count, the best thing you can do is stick to it. A little over, you'd probably be OK. When you've got over twice the lower limit, and 300 over the top limit, something's gone wrong. Even if they're not irrelevant, cut down a few of your points. Make sure the grammar is impeccable. It will end up being a much better piece of work.
I have done all my CA for french. And trust me on this, it's by far quality of quantity. As i just wrote 1 page on one of them and I got a C but my friend who wrote 2 and a half got an E!
I have checked through my draft several times, but I can't find anything that is irrelevant to the task. My draft mentions everything and I haven't drifted anywhere in the essay.

Even then, you should still cut it down. You don't need to write 756 words to successfully answer all of the bullet points. Just keep in your best sentences. I got A*s in both French and German writing, and I never wrote more than 450 words.

Ukvoltaire

You don't need 756 words even for the highest grade of an A*. For my German writing assessments, I never wrote anything over 330, although 300 was needed for an A* and still got A*AA in all three I did. You might be on a different exam board to me I do WJEC.

Remembering 756 words is not gonna be easy and considering you don't need them much you might as well cut bits out which may be a bit irrelevant. You would get a good grade if you have 350 - 400 words relavant to the topic as you would with the 756 words which may have some bits which are irrelevant.

You won't ever lose marks for writing too much you can write as much as you like but if you write too much you won't be getting extra marks for it as you already have enough and it won't be worth the time and effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending