The Student Room Group

What subjects to choose

IMG_2127 2.PNGI want to do Electronic Engineering in Uni
The subjects I want to choose are Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Graph Com and Modern Studies.
I can't choose all these subjects because of column C i don't know what to do
Reply 1
First of all, are you in S5 or S6? Second, what other qualifications do you already have?
Do any of the subjects in that column appeal to you at all?
Reply 2
I am about to go into S5 and other subjects that i took in S4 were English and P.E
but i won't get a really good grade in both of the subjects. I would like to crash Computing but i don't know if they would let me
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Well H English is a good qualification to have, maybe choose it and change it if your N5 grade is really bad like you think it will be, swap to something else as soon as you can in August. Some schools would also let you do it over 2 years if needed.
I was going to suggest H Computing Sci. - having done it this year and because it would be sort of relevant to Electronic Engineering - but it quite heavily builds on knowledge gained at N5. However crash Higher is definitely possible if you apply a good work ethic, are good at problem solving (for programming) and having a grasp on current technology helps as well (trends, basics). However some schools don't like letting S5s crash higher)
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="PTS_99;64097199"]Well H English is a good qualification to have, maybe choose it and change it if your N5 grade is really bad like you think it will be, swap to something else as soon as you can in August. Some schools would also let you do it over 2 years if needed.
I was going to suggest H Computing Sci. - having done it this year and because it would be sort of relevant to Electronic Engineering - but it quite heavily builds on knowledge gained at N5. However crash Higher is definitely possible if you apply a good work ethic, are good at problem solving (for programming) and having a grasp on current technology helps as well (trends, basics). However some schools don't like letting S5s crash higher)[/QUOTE

I agree that Higher English is a good and particularly well respected qualification to have (it has a virtually identical format to national 5) and that if you need to, you should put it down as a choice until you find out your results in August.

Original post by maansari
I am about to go into S5 and other subjects that i took in S4 were English and P.E
but i won't get a really good grade in both of the subjects. I would like to crash Computing but i don't know if they would let me

I personally haven't done computing science or any crash highers, but if you really want to crash higher computing, speak to the computing science teacher to see if they think it would be possible, as some subjects are easier to crash higher than others. If they think it could be done, speak to your guidance teacher/head of year and be sure to explain fully your reasons for wanting to do computing and get a parent or guardian to get involved too if required.
If they let you do it, I would recommend reading through the national 5 course content during the summer so that you are at least familiar with the content.
If you are not allowed to do a crash higher, find out if your school has a consortium program with other local schools(where you go to another school to do a particular subject if they cannot offer it), however, not all schools do this.
Alternatively, you could do the computing science higher over 2 years (or do the N5 in S5 and higher in S6),meaning you wouldn't have to do English at all.
Hope that has been of some help and good luck in your exams!
Reply 5
Original post by maansari
IMG_2127 2.PNGI want to do Electronic Engineering in Uni
The subjects I want to choose are Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Graph Com and Modern Studies.
I can't choose all these subjects because of column C i don't know what to do

Hi Maansari!,

A couple of years ago I was in the exact same situation as you, interested in electrical engineering. Please, please, please do not choose subjects you don't want to do. If you don't enjoy Higher English, don't do it. No Universities need Higher English for any Electrical engineering degree in the country, they only need a C at N5 level. So get your C or above at N5 then ditch English. I never took higher English and I'm so grateful that I didn't, I came out with 5 A's at higher and I don't regret it a bit.

There is 2 essential subjects that you NEED to take for electrical engineering, they are Physics and Maths. Subjects which benefit your application is Computer Science. For most of your electrical engineering degree you will be programming, so definitely do Computer Science. Next after that would be Graph Com, that would be your other useful subject. The last subject can be anything you will enjoy and do well in. Please just quote us if you have any more questions and I hope this helps! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JP298
Hi Maansari!,

A couple of years ago I was in the exact same situation as you, interested in electrical engineering. Please, please, please do not choose subjects you don't want to do. If you don't enjoy Higher English, don't do it. No Universities need Higher English for any Electrical engineering degree in the country, they only need a C at N5 level. So get your C or above at N5 then ditch English. I never took higher English and I'm so grateful that I didn't, I came out with 5 A's at higher and I don't regret it a bit.

There is 2 essential subjects that you NEED to take for electrical engineering, they are Physics and Maths. Subjects which benefit your application is Computer Science. For most of your electrical engineering degree you will be programming, so definitely do Computer Science. Next after that would be Graph Com, that would be your other useful subject. The last subject can be anything you will enjoy and do well in. Please just quote us if you have any more questions and I hope this helps! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

^This
+Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending