The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

this is the stupidest thread i've come across in a while.
Reply 21
Original post by banterboy
this is the stupidest thread i've come across in a while.

But why? :dontknow:
Original post by Roger-Smith
But why? :dontknow:

why let your sick people come into work, so as to recover later and gain each others illnesses, so you lose more of their productivity?

And also, just maintaining a low profit restaurant chain supported by your main business, with little expected returns on investment...just so employees can get subsistence they can get cheaper elsewhere? Absurd idea.
Reply 23
Original post by banterboy
why let your sick people come into work, so as to recover later and gain each others illnesses, so you lose more of their productivity?

And also, just maintaining a low profit restaurant chain supported by your main business, with little expected returns on investment...just so employees can get subsistence they can get cheaper elsewhere? Absurd idea.

They might be well enough to come to work but subsequently become sick? :dontknow:
What a fair compromise, I love that idea! :h:

especially as jewellery is such a positionable market you can get a lot of people to work with you so i know the owner of one of the restaurants as i used to work for him and that his 10th anniversary is in about a year so he cold come to me and get a better deal as his restaurant keeps my place running so he'd get some discount on the ticket
Reply 25
hire a cook
hire a waiter
food standards
possibly hire a lawyer if employer complains
hire medical assistant?

yeah sounds like it'd destroy small business

good job
it's as if the green party are trying to use tsr as a think tank.
Like Microsoft or Google for example?

They aren't even that big when looking at turnover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They might be well enough to come to work but subsequently become sick? :dontknow:

Then they should go home, not waste resources.

Pointless idea. You're fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
Reply 29
Take £5 a day from your salary and go buy lunch. There you go; lunch provided.

If you're sick.. Go to the doctors or home. Sickness at work plan activated.
Reply 30
Like Microsoft or Google for example?

I've not been to Google offices but I can confirm Microsoft do provide free soft drinks and a heavily subsidised canteen. The pecan pie is particularly good :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by jamesthehustler

i would from a business perspective just have either a petty cash system (here's £10 go and have lunch) or an expense system in which they have to file the costs to be reimbursed of which the first has advantages as it would be less paperwork but they could just buy a £3 meal deal and pocket £7 a day which soon adds up to a lot(£35 a week, £140 a month, £1,680 a year) the second has a better advantage as whilst it would be more paperwork you would save overall as the costs would be on the receipts and would work better in the case of say taking a client out to lunch you might spend £50-£100 but it could close a £10,000-£20,000 deal so that cost is very little in relation to the return

Isn't that what your salary is for?
Original post by york_wbu
Isn't that what your salary is for?

i'd be very ethical to keep my workforce
Reply 33
Original post by Drewski
Then they should go home, not waste resources.

Pointless idea. You're fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
How is it wasting resources? :dontknow:
How is it wasting resources? :dontknow:

Why waste valuable office space on a room for people to be ill in when they could just go home and be comfortable?
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski
Why waste valuable office space on a room for people to be ill in when they could just go home and be comfortable?
OK then, by logic, why waste money on toilets if the business happens to be one that is situated near publicly accessible toilets? :wink:

Also, some businesses may be lucky enough to have excess space that needs making use of! :h:
OK then, by logic, why waste money on toilets if the business happens to be one that is situated near publicly accessible toilets? :wink:

Also, some businesses may be lucky enough to have excess space that needs making use of! :h:

That's not even vaguely an equivalent. Do you know what a debate is?

What you're proposing is a waste of money, a waste of time and entirely pointless.

And the waited restaurant idea is ludicrous.

Why do you even think either is necessary, let alone something that should be required by law?
Reply 37
Original post by Drewski
That's not even vaguely an equivalent. Do you know what a debate is?

What you're proposing is a waste of money, a waste of time and entirely pointless.

And the waited restaurant idea is ludicrous.

Why do you even think either is necessary, let alone something that should be required by law?

The idea is not ludicrous in Scandinavia, Singapore etc. (and no, I won't be moving to either FYI). :dontknow:

It would help boost productivity due to higher overall average employee satisfaction rates boosted due to extras like the waited restaurant etc. :yep:

And higher productivity = a more highly successful business, right? :h:
The idea is not ludicrous in Scandinavia, Singapore etc. (and no, I won't be moving to either FYI). :dontknow:

It would help boost productivity due to higher overall average employee satisfaction rates boosted due to extras like the waited restaurant etc. :yep:

And higher productivity = a more highly successful business, right? :h:

Given the choice of investment in waiters or food quality, 100% of people would choose quality. The overwhelming proportion of staff canteens all over the country are self service and there's nothing wrong with them.

What proof do you have that a waiting staff - with the consequent drawn out meal times that would result - would give those benefits? I'd be certain that British staff would be far too cynical of them and resent having to pay extra money.
Should employers be required by law to provide a sick room and a subsidised restaurant with a waiter service?
Discuss. :smile:

(I personally think yes). :smile:

Yes, because nothing fosters togetherness and a feeling of team spirit like going to work and being waited on subserviently by fellow employees of the same company. Oh wait, that would be kinda weird and unsettling.

In all seriousness, why?! If you're sick, don't go into work. If you're sick and choose to go to work, then you made that decision yourself and you should still be working at work. If you get sick at work, either choose to continue working or go home.

P.S. Running a restaurant costs a lot of money. Oh, and who waits on the waiters whilst they're having their breaks? :smile:

Latest