The Student Room Group

What does it mean when I catch a guy staring at me then he immediately looks away?

Once I was working intensely at the library and I was the only one there at night so I looked up and I see him staring at me then he quickly looks down like he felt guilty. We don't really know each other and he has a gf. Does it mean anything?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Unless he's done more than that. Please stop with these inane questions.

Edit: I'll add more. Even if he smiles at you for a second it might not mean anything, it is most likely a polite gesture. If he starts talking to you then yes he might be interested. If you're that keen on him try and have a chat with him then you'll know for sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It means anything from he was admiring the light on your beautiful locks and he's madly in love with you, to the possibility he was staring randomly into the distance thinking about how much he was looking forward to the dinner he had waiting and only realised he was looking at you when you looked back.

As the above poster said, why do ask these questions? Hell, why do people even bother thinking about this stuff?
Reply 3
Original post by Dheorl
It means anything from he was admiring the light on your beautiful locks and he's madly in love with you, to the possibility he was staring randomly into the distance thinking about how much he was looking forward to the dinner he had waiting and only realised he was looking at you when you looked back.

As the above poster said, why do ask these questions? Hell, why do people even bother thinking about this stuff?

I cover my hair lol 😭 and why would he look into my direction and think about dinner when he could possibly look anywhere else.

I'm procrastinating that's why.
Reply 4
Original post by BWV1007
No. Unless he's done more than that. Please stop with these inane questions.

Edit: I'll add more. Even if he smiles at you for a second it might not mean anything, it is most likely a polite gesture. If he starts talking to you then yes he might be interested. If you're that keen on him try and have a chat with him then you'll know for sure.

I'm not keen on him, he has gf anyway but I'm amazed that guys still look even though they have gfs
He was looking at you for whatever reason and looked away when you saw him because he was embarrassed, like everyone is when we get caught staring at someone lol. Could be anything tbh, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I cover my hair lol 😭 and why would he look into my direction and think about dinner when he could possibly look anywhere else.

I'm procrastinating that's why.

Do you not understand the concept of random?
I'm amazed that guys still look even though they have gfs

lmao
Reply 8
I'm not keen on him, he has gf anyway but I'm amazed that guys still look even though they have gfs

WTF?! Like what the actual ****?! Do you think guys should just walk around with their eyes closed when they have a gf? Maybe a condition of marriage should be having them gouged out?

People like looking at things around them, whether they find them attractive, interesting, or just downright weird. It's not like he was staring up your skirt. And as previously mentioned, maybe he wasn't looking at you but just phased out staring randomly into the distance in your direction.
Reply 9
Original post by Dheorl
Do you not understand the concept of random?

Lol even randomly, why would you look at someone and give them the wrong impression?
It means that he was looking at you. kapeesh?
Jokes aside

People tend to zone out looking at someone when they don't even realise they are looking at someone/not even thinking about them, but only breaks off when the awkward moment where that person looks back at you.
Or he's just probably wondering what you were doing, seeing as you were the only other person there

Buuut if he starts getting to know you/talk to you, then you can start thinking that he may be interested in you.

Lmao it's just nature. We all do it. Well mostly everyone i hope...He may love his gf to death but he'll still gonna look when someone attractive walks past, just like girls do when some handsome chap goes by. Doesn't mean they are attracted TO them. They just find you attractive :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
WTF?! Like what the actual ****?! Do you think guys should just walk around with their eyes closed when they have a gf? Maybe a condition of marriage should be having them gouged out?

People like looking at things around them, whether they find them attractive, interesting, or just downright weird. It's not like he was staring up your skirt. And as previously mentioned, maybe he wasn't looking at you but just phased out staring randomly into the distance in your direction.

They can look, obviously no one can walk with their eyes closed. But there's a difference when a person stares at you, I was the only girl in the entire library. The chances of him being phased out in my direction is unlikely.
Reply 12
Lol even randomly, why would you look at someone and give them the wrong impression?

Because when you just zone out you're not looking at anything or anyone. Your eyes just have to be pointing somewhere. He likely didn't even notice until you looked at him.

Question is why did you look at him? I mean you know he has a gf; why do girls look at guys when they know they have a gf?
Reply 13
They can look, obviously no one can walk with their eyes closed. But there's a difference when a person stares at you, I was the only girl in the entire library. The chances of him being phased out in my direction is unlikely.

No, it's not. Is just as likely as him having any interest in you at all.

Even if he was looking at you it might have been because he was wondering what you were doing in the library at such an odd time, what item of food to had stuck to the side of you face or where you bought that fabulous headscarf...
Original post by Dheorl
Because when you just zone out you're not looking at anything or anyone. Your eyes just have to be pointing somewhere. He likely didn't even notice until you looked at him.

Question is why did you look at him? I mean you know he has a gf; why do girls look at guys when they know they have a gf?

It's all about the vibessss. I was working and I felt like someone was paying attention to me and one look and he was there staring at me and then looked away because I caught him off guard :colone:
Original post by Dheorl
No, it's not. Is just as likely as him having any interest in you at all.

Even if he was looking at you it might have been because he was wondering what you were doing in the library at such an odd time, what item of food to had stuck to the side of you face or where you bought that fabulous headscarf...

Hmmm I will never find out
The way you're refusing to say it was just a random occurrence makes it sound like you want him to be interested in you, so maybe be a bit less stubborn?

There's no point in asking a question if you're not going to listen to the answer.

Lots of times I find myself thinking about something or nothing and I suddenly realise I'm looking at someone. Does this have any underlying meaning? No. As others have already stated, this staring could be for a multitude of reasons.

How would you react if you looked at him staring at you and he kept staring? That would be very strange. So don't assume the reason he looked away is because you "caught him in the act" or something along those lines.
It means he wants to creampie you with the nuts hanging out
Reply 18
It means he has eyes and you were in his view
Original post by thirtythreepi
The way you're refusing to say it was just a random occurrence makes it sound like you want him to be interested in you, so maybe be a bit less stubborn?

There's no point in asking a question if you're not going to listen to the answer.

Lots of times I find myself thinking about something or nothing and I suddenly realise I'm looking at someone. Does this have any underlying meaning? No. As others have already stated, this staring could be for a multitude of reasons.

How would you react if you looked at him staring at you and he kept staring? That would be very strange. So don't assume the reason he looked away is because you "caught him in the act" or something along those lines.

Yeah I do understand what you're saying and you are right. If he had kept carrying on staring then I would have packed my bags and left before the clock strikes 12. The thing is I've had a similar experience at a residential place and I felt so awkward afterwards which is why i seem abit skeptical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending