The Student Room Group

Help me build a Program + Nutritional Advice

Hi Guys,

Been training for a few months now to increase my weight and muscle growth and any gains I was seeing have rapidly diminished, think my shitty nutrition has finally stumped my progress. In short, I don't watch my calories, eat shitty and probably eat less than maintenance.

I need to put on weight and have always struggled. I consume around 2000-2500 calories a day and assume this needs to increase. On training days that increases to 3000 with my shake.

If somebody could help me figure these things out that'd be great.

- What my Calorific Maintenance is?
- Calorie Intake to put on weight? - aiming for 1lb - 1.5lbs a week
- Increase muscle growth without excess body fat

My Stats should they be required:
6ft 2'
160lb's
Highly active, Easily walk 15+ miles a day & attend the Gym 4 times a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Reply 2

Hey, Had a read through the relevant bits, Awesome FAQ.

Used the mention site to work out my TDEE - comes to 2800 to 2900 calories. As mentioned above I currently intake around 2800 from recent tracking with My Fitness. The article mentioned around 500 Calories above Maintenance to gain 1lb a week. Would you suggest going above that? is their any benefit from intaking an extra 1k for example?

Also, apon speaking to a freind, he mentioned that cutting cardio would be helpful, is there truth in this? Would reducing my cardio levels ( Run 2.5K twice a week + regularly walk 10 miles a day) aid in putting on the extra 25 ish pounds i'm looking for.

Said freind also mentioned nuts would be a helpful calorie increase, is this advantageous over bigger portions for example?
Original post by Ryanx623
Hey, Had a read through the relevant bits, Awesome FAQ.

Used the mention site to work out my TDEE - comes to 2800 to 2900 calories. As mentioned above I currently intake around 2800 from recent tracking with My Fitness. The article mentioned around 500 Calories above Maintenance to gain 1lb a week. Would you suggest going above that? is their any benefit from intaking an extra 1k for example?

Also, apon speaking to a freind, he mentioned that cutting cardio would be helpful, is there truth in this? Would reducing my cardio levels ( Run 2.5K twice a week + regularly walk 10 miles a day) aid in putting on the extra 25 ish pounds i'm looking for.

Said freind also mentioned nuts would be a helpful calorie increase, is this advantageous over bigger portions for example?

I recommend between 0.5 and 1lb a week. There is no benefit putting on more unless you're near ill thin. You'll just get fat otherwise!

Depends what your routine is. 2.5km isn't far, so running that on off days is fine. How often are you walking 10 miles?

If you have a big appetite, then bigger portions are the way forward. If you struggle to get your calories in; calorie dense stuff like nuts, nut butters and liquid calories like milk (blend in some ice cream for maximum calories!) is the way to go

Hope that helps :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Angry cucumber
I recommend between 0.5 and 1lb a week. There is no benefit putting on more unless you're near ill thin. You'll just get fat otherwise!

Depends what your routine is. 2.5km isn't far, so running that on off days is fine. How often are you walking 10 miles?

If you have a big appetite, then bigger portions are the way forward. If you struggle to get your calories in; calorie dense stuff like nuts, nut butters and liquid calories like milk (blend in some ice cream for maximum calories!) is the way to go

Hope that helps :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome,

I walk 10 miles daily to work. 2.5k is a warm up before I workout generally, I used to do a 10k every Saturday however haven't been for a while.

I eat alot but not very often, I Usually have to big meals (Breakfast & Dinner) and that's it with a small snack throughout the day instead of a lunch, struggle to eat three. Perhaps adding in some calorie dense stuff would be more useful than reducing portion sizes and upping meals?
Awesome,

I walk 10 miles daily to work. 2.5k is a warm up before I workout generally, I used to do a 10k every Saturday however haven't been for a while.

I eat alot but not very often, I Usually have to big meals (Breakfast & Dinner) and that's it with a small snack throughout the day instead of a lunch, struggle to eat three. Perhaps adding in some calorie dense stuff would be more useful than reducing portion sizes and upping meals?

I wouldn't do cardio if your already walking 10miles a day. That's a lot.

For warm up, 5 mins of the rowing machine if you must. 2.5km run is too much tbh

That's a good plan for your diet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eat whatever you need to eat to gain 0.5-1lb/week. Pick a number, eat that for a week or two and check your weight gain. Adjust as necessary. Job done!

Quick Reply

Latest