The Student Room Group

A level maths applied modules issue

Hey, I am currently doing 3 applied modules for A level maths, M1, D1, and M2.

I understand that only two are factored into A level maths, which for me will likely be M1 and D1, since I am way better at them than M2.

Is it worth revising M2 at all if I am already competant at the other two? We only have 7 weeks and I would like to spend my time as decisively as possible.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by TercioOfParma
Hey, I am currently doing 3 applied modules for A level maths, M1, D1, and M2.

I understand that only two are factored into A level maths, which for me will likely be M1 and D1, since I am way better at them than M2.

Is it worth revising M2 at all if I am already competant at the other two? We only have 7 weeks and I would like to spend my time as decisively as possible.

Thanks

I think being solid on 2 modules will be a lot better for your grade than being okay in 3. :smile:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I think being solid on 2 modules will be a lot better for your grade than being okay in 3. :smile:

Its just the issue is, I am getting Bs and a couple of As in the first two, but I am getting Ds and Es in M2. I am not really certain whether or not it is worth improving on M2 since It is not necessary
Reply 3
Its just the issue is, I am getting Bs and a couple of As in the first two, but I am getting Ds and Es in M2. I am not really certain whether or not it is worth improving on M2 since It is not necessary

I'd say drop M2 altogether (don't even bother going into the exam!) and focus on getting D1 and M1 to 90+ UMS level. If you're doing C3/4, I'd prioritise those over the applied.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I'd say drop M2 altogether (don't even bother going into the exam!) and focus on getting D1 and M1 to 90+ UMS level. If you're doing C3/4, I'd prioritise those over the applied.

What happens if I panic in one of the exams?

Admittedly, I have never done that before, but even so there is still a small chance.

Why did your teacher suggest taking three applied modules? Have you been entered for all three exams?

Personally I'd focus on two.
Reply 6
What happens if I panic in one of the exams?

Admittedly, I have never done that before, but even so there is still a small chance.

To be very frank, I don't think M2 will give you much opportunity to recover on that the off chance it did happen since you're not doing too well in it.

I think you'll be fine though. If you're getting As in mocks, it's unlikely that you'll have any reason to panic. :biggrin:
Original post by Muttley79
Why did your teacher suggest taking three applied modules? Have you been entered for all three exams?

Personally I'd focus on two.

Basically, last year I got BBU in the Maths AS level, a U in M1 (I have since, of course, seriously improved my grade in it from what I can tell).

After this, I dreaded M2, so I decided to work with the FM class and do D1 with them since I am good at computing and want to do computer science at uni. I still attended the M2 classes though since it is an extension of M1 effectively, even If I am quite bad at a lot of the M2 stuff.

Basically, redoing M1, got put in an M2 class to help with M1 and build up to M2, and Chose D1 of my own accord since I am good at algorithms.
Basically, last year I got BBU in the Maths AS level, a U in M1 (I have since, of course, seriously improved my grade in it from what I can tell).

After this, I dreaded M2, so I decided to work with the FM class and do D1 with them since I am good at computing and want to do computer science at uni. I still attended the M2 classes though since it is an extension of M1 effectively, even If I am quite bad at a lot of the M2 stuff.

Basically, redoing M1, got put in an M2 class to help with M1 and build up to M2, and Chose D1 of my own accord since I am good at algorithms.

D1 is much better suited to someone wanting to study Computer Science - don't you get a free choice of applied modules? We usually suggest two of S1/M1/D1 for A level as they are AS modules ....
Original post by Muttley79
D1 is much better suited to someone wanting to study Computer Science - don't you get a free choice of applied modules? We usually suggest two of S1/M1/D1 for A level as they are AS modules ....

When we started we had the choice of S1 and S2, M1 and M2, and S1 and M1. I chose M1 and M2. However, the FM class does D1 on the side, so I asked if I could join them, and did.
When we started we had the choice of S1 and S2, M1 and M2, and S1 and M1. I chose M1 and M2. However, the FM class does D1 on the side, so I asked if I could join them, and did.

I see but at least you got to do D1 - I'd drop M2 asap.

Quick Reply

Latest