The Student Room Group

Subject Choices: 4 Advanced Highers?

Hello TSR
I want to study veterinary medicine and I have to pick my subjects for S6 within the next few weeks. I am currently studying Highers in maths, English, chemistry, physics, human biology(self taught) and music and am predicted all A's. I need at least advanced higher chemistry and advanced higher biology for the entry requirements to study veterinary medicine, but ideally, I would do AH chemistry, maths and physics (I don't dislike biology, I just like maths and physics more).
So, my question is: do I do AH maths or AH physics(along with chemistry and biology), considering that both are equally relevant and I don't know which one I enjoy more/ I am better at? Or, do I do both and do 4 advanced highers (if the timetable works/the school will let me)?
Thanks in advance for any help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Hello TSR
I want to study veterinary medicine and I have to pick my subjects for S6 within the next few weeks. I am currently studying Highers in maths, English, chemistry, physics, human biology(self taught) and music and am predicted all A's. I need at least advanced higher chemistry and advanced higher biology for the entry requirements to study veterinary medicine, but ideally, I would do AH chemistry, maths and physics (I don't dislike biology, I just like maths and physics more).
So, my question is: do I do AH maths or AH physics(along with chemistry and biology), considering that both are equally relevant and I don't know which one I enjoy more/ I am better at? Or, do I do both and do 4 advanced highers (if the timetable works/the school will let me)?

3 Sciences is a bitch with the 3 investigations. Definitely manageable, but it's quite a bit of work. AH Maths isn't really that much work though tbh. I say go for it, but if your school decides to do all three science investigations practical work at the same time prepare to be emotionally damaged.
Original post by TheFOMaster
3 Sciences is a bitch with the 3 investigations. Definitely manageable, but it's quite a bit of work. AH Maths isn't really that much work though tbh. I say go for it, but if your school decides to do all three science investigations practical work at the same time prepare to be emotionally damaged.

Thanks for your reply. The investigations are the thing that makes me uncertain about doing 4, but I do enjoy the subjects and if I can make the assignments about something related to animals, I might even find them enjoyable! At my parents night, the teachers for the 3 sciences all had different approaches to the investigations (one does it in March once the course is finished , one does it before Christmas and one spreads it out, doing a little bit at a time), so hopefully, I will not get them all at once.
If you are doing your advanced highers this year (or any other exams), I hope that they go well... Thanks again for your help.
Thanks for your reply. The investigations are the thing that makes me uncertain about doing 4, but I do enjoy the subjects and if I can make the assignments about something related to animals, I might even find them enjoyable! At my parents night, the teachers for the 3 sciences all had different approaches to the investigations (one does it in March once the course is finished , one does it before Christmas and one spreads it out, doing a little bit at a time), so hopefully, I will not get them all at once.
If you are doing your advanced highers this year (or any other exams), I hope that they go well... Thanks again for your help.

Yeah, if its spread out like that, then you should be fine to do 4AH's, there honestly not that much harder than highers (cept Biology, fk AH Biology.).
Reply 4
Yeah, if its spread out like that, then you should be fine to do 4AH's, there honestly not that much harder than highers (cept Biology, fk AH Biology.).

This is what I'm going through right now. Biology investigations are the worst :P

Original post by Yammy
This is what I'm going through right now. Biology investigations are the worst :P

What did you do your investigations on? I did my higher(human) one on dog mediated human rabies- we had to choose an infectious disease and since it's human biology, it had to be a human one. For my AH assignment, I plan to apply to do it through the RZSS to do it at Edinburgh Zoo/Highland Wildlife Park and I think you do studies on the animals (without actually touching/harming/disturbing the animals) so if I got in I think I would enjoy that!
Hello TSR

It'll be fine. People stress over the investigation a lot, but really it takes 5 - 10 hours data generation, and maybe another 5 hours to write it up. If the topic is something you don't know much about, maybe add on another 2 hours for research.

Content-wise it will be easy, as all 4 subjects are just an extension of higher. Would be much much less work than vet med at uni, so if you can't handle 4 AH (workload wise), then vet med isn't for you
What did you do your investigations on? I did my higher(human) one on dog mediated human rabies- we had to choose an infectious disease and since it's human biology, it had to be a human one. For my AH assignment, I plan to apply to do it through the RZSS to do it at Edinburgh Zoo/Highland Wildlife Park and I think you do studies on the animals (without actually touching/harming/disturbing the animals) so if I got in I think I would enjoy that!

AH Biology - How salt concentration of water affects the heart rate of some kind of shrimp, can't remember what kind. Brutally murdered more than 2 of them though.
AH Chemistry - Nice easy Wine Analysis.
Original post by Asklepios
It'll be fine. People stress over the investigation a lot, but really it takes 5 - 10 hours data generation, and maybe another 5 hours to write it up. If the topic is something you don't know much about, maybe add on another 2 hours for research.

Content-wise it will be easy, as all 4 subjects are just an extension of higher. Would be much much less work than vet med at uni, so if you can't handle 4 AH (workload wise), then vet med isn't for you

Thanks for your advice about how long it takes, etc. This year for my physics assignment, it took far too long because the teacher kept making us put too much stuff in- 'just in case' he said- to the extent that mine took probably about 50 hours of work!
Are you doing advanced highers this year or have you already done them? Also, which subjects do/did you do, and if you don't mind me asking(although please don't feel obliged to share) what grades did you get/ are you predicted?
I will perhaps disagree with you about "if you can't handle 4 AH (workload wise), then vet med isn't for you" as plenty of people do 2 AHs for the minimum requirements and perhaps another advanced higher/a higher and cope well on the course. However, that doesn't mean that I think the course will be easy: I know it will be challenging and will require extreme levels of commitment and dedication, but I also know that being a vet is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The fact that doing 4 AHs will better prepare me for the workload of university, is probably one of the biggest reasons for me wanting to do 4 (other than being interested in all of them and enjoying them all).
Thanks again for your help.:smile:
AH Biology - How salt concentration of water affects the heart rate of some kind of shrimp, can't remember what kind. Brutally murdered more than 2 of them though.
AH Chemistry - Nice easy Wine Analysis.

Thanks...Not so good about murdering the shrimps though!
Thanks for your advice about how long it takes, etc. This year for my physics assignment, it took far too long because the teacher kept making us put too much stuff in- 'just in case' he said- to the extent that mine took probably about 50 hours of work!
Are you doing advanced highers this year or have you already done them? Also, which subjects do/did you do, and if you don't mind me asking(although please don't feel obliged to share) what grades did you get/ are you predicted?
I will perhaps disagree with you about "if you can't handle 4 AH (workload wise), then vet med isn't for you" as plenty of people do 2 AHs for the minimum requirements and perhaps another advanced higher/a higher and cope well on the course. However, that doesn't mean that I think the course will be easy: I know it will be challenging and will require extreme levels of commitment and dedication, but I also know that being a vet is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The fact that doing 4 AHs will better prepare me for the workload of university, is probably one of the biggest reasons for me wanting to do 4 (other than being interested in all of them and enjoying them all).

I did my AHs in 2013. Did the 4 you're thinking of plus AH statistics. Got all band 1 As. I'm not at medical school, and I can safely say the amount I've revised at uni is far more than I ever did at school.

I'm not saying that people who do less than 4 AH will struggle because, let's face it, most people don't work as hard as they could in 6th year. Though if you actually try, then 4 AH will be easy compared to uni.
Original post by Asklepios
I did my AHs in 2013. Did the 4 you're thinking of plus AH statistics. Got all band 1 As. I'm not at medical school, and I can safely say the amount I've revised at uni is far more than I ever did at school.

I'm not saying that people who do less than 4 AH will struggle because, let's face it, most people don't work as hard as they could in 6th year. Though if you actually try, then 4 AH will be easy compared to uni.

Wow- well done with those results!
I don't understand why people stop trying in S6- I will have a spare column, so I will probably use it to do some more work experience at a vet practice and practice my instruments. If the school offered it, I would be keen to do a higher in environmental science as it is like geography(which I did for national 5), but without all of the human geography which I didn't like. But, this year my school didn't offer any AH sciences at all! The head teacher said we could get 1 or maybe 2 out of the three this year depending on uptake.
Thank you very much for your advice
Lol @ anyone who spends more than 10 hours on their investigation. Just get the average mark then move on.

Also lol @ people saying 4AHs will "prepare you for uni." Learning how to properly balance work and play is really what will "prepare you for uni"

The workload of 4 AHs isn't even that close to a demanding uni course lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Pennyarcade

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many AHs would be a good estimate of uni workload then?
Original post by Yammy

It's two completely different things. There's no boundaries at uni for how indepth you should research, whereas at school it's all laid out for you. Example: right now I'm looking at A grade PBL notes and I swear one case has the same amount of content as higher biology.

You've also got so much other stuff going on in first year (nights out, societies etc) that you cant compare the lifestyle at all.

I think you'd be better prepared for uni if you picked whatever you wanted and focused on getting a solid work-life balance.
Reply 16
It's two completely different things. There's no boundaries at uni for how indepth you should research, whereas at school it's all laid out for you. Example: right now I'm looking at A grade PBL notes and I swear one case has the same amount of content as higher biology.

You've also got so much other stuff going on in first year (nights out, societies etc) that you cant compare the lifestyle at all.

I think you'd be better prepared for uni if you picked whatever you wanted and focused on getting a solid work-life balance.

Ohh I see.
Original post by Yammy

For the 2-3 weeks before exams at uni, I've been going to the library and studying for up to 15 hours every single day. For Advanced Highers, despite doing 5 all I did was maybe a couple of past papers per day and spend an hour going over the revision book for questions I got wrong. The main difference isn't really the actual volume of what you need to know (uni is more, but only by a reasonable amount), but you have to find it yourself by combining lecture notes, textbooks, and journal articles. For AH, you can easily get full marks just by looking through one 100 page book. For uni, you have a big 1000 page textbook for each subject which sometimes goes into too much detail and sometimes not enough. So you have to judge yourself. E.g. This year for me, textbooks weren't enough info and you had to read 5 or so journal papers per lecture.
Lol @ anyone who spends more than 10 hours on their investigation. Just get the average mark then move on.

Also lol @ people saying 4AHs will "prepare you for uni." Learning how to properly balance work and play is really what will "prepare you for uni"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for all of your contributions and advice Pennyarcade... I understand what you mean about the boundaries in school compared to the lack of them at university (although I often end up going outwith them if it's something I'm interested in). What advanced highers did you do? I'm guessing by your posts that you found them easy? Would you say that teachers overestimate what how much work they involve?
Just out of interest...You said about having a work life balance...Did you do a lot of extra curricular stuff outside of school? And would you say that the things I do outwith school(below) represent a good 'life' part of the work life balance?

And then I walk my dog most days
To clarify- I have little interest in the social aspect of university, like nights out, discos or whatever else many students do in their free time- but I don't think that would mean that I didn't have a work life balance.
Thank you very much for your input.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you for all of your contributions and advice Pennyarcade... I understand what you mean about the boundaries in school compared to the lack of them at university (although I often end up going outwith them if it's something I'm interested in). What advanced highers did you do? I'm guessing by your posts that you found them easy? Would you say that teachers overestimate what how much work they involve?
Just out of interest...You said about having a work life balance...Did you do a lot of extra curricular stuff outside of school? And would you say that the things I do outwith school(below) represent a good 'life' part of the work life balance?
Monday- Pipe band practice
Tuesday- Wind Orchestra
Wednesday- School concert band
Thursday- Taekwondo and Pipe band practice
Friday- Help out at the local stables as ongoing work experience
Saturday- Concert band
And then I walk my dog most days
To clarify- I have little interest in the social aspect of university, like nights out, discos or whatever else many students do in their free time- but I don't think that would mean that I didn't have a work life balance.
Thank you very much for your input.

I did AH bio, chem, physics and maths.
Yeah teachers overestimate everything at school. Must give themselves an ego boost or something.

At school I did karate twice a week, played football or went out etc with mates some weekends. I wasn't proper intense with EC stuff.

Then at uni I'm out/pissing about with mates most nights. So its harder to find time to do work.

It's important you make time for the "discos" - you'll drive yourself to depression if you spend your time learning ILOs

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending