The Student Room Group

Long distance relationship with american while i'm muslim

(edited 8 years ago)
Have you ever met face to face?
Reply 2
Forget the religion part - you've not even met this man in person. How can you tell you'll instantly be compatible with him when you meet? What are you going to do, move to the states to be with him? is he going to uproot and move here?

Seriously - slow down. Meet him and see how he actually is in person. You're a long way off thinking about your "future." These sorts of online relationships hardly last a few months after meeting the person if you jump into things too quickly.
My advice is, don't worry about such complicated scenarios until you've physically met. There's a moment, upon meeting, when you simply know whether there is chemistry or not. Then, if there is, take it slow.
Reply 4
You're going to meet the dude in couple years of time. If you don't care too much about what your family thinks just carry on talking to him. Maybe one day just bring up a topic to your mum about marrying outside of your ethnic background and see what she says but honestly dw about it now. Just carry on talking to him and worry about when the issue does arise. I've learnt one thing no need to worry about something that does not even exist yet.
Reply 5
Original post by ODES_PDES
Have you ever met face to face?

No! We are planning to within a year or so :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Kre
Forget the religion part - you've not even met this man in person. How can you tell you'll instantly be compatible with him when you meet? What are you going to do, move to the states to be with him? is he going to uproot and move here?

Seriously - slow down. Meet him and see how he actually is in person. You're a long way off thinking about your "future." These sorts of online relationships hardly last a few months after meeting the person if you jump into things too quickly.

Ah yes! We have mentioned this too, to see how things go. But of course I cant help worrying about the future. :s
My main concern is whether it has a future or not... I guess it's normal to worry about these things, but yes we are taking it slow at the moment.
I can't say it's a good idea, just be careful as I hear stories like these and they end up going wrong. Forget being Muslim, you need to be able to trust this guy and know him. Before planning some future, meet him and see how it goes.

Original post by 7586
No! We are planning to within a year or so :s-smilie:
Reply 8
what do you think about the first meeting? Maybe im overthinking it but spending a lot of money on flights etc and then finding out you're not compatible seems like such a waste..? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Rhythmical
I can't say it's a good idea, just be careful as I hear stories like these and they end up going wrong. Forget being Muslim, you need to be able to trust this guy and know him. Before planning some future, meet him and see how it goes.

We've known each other for 3 years now and skype every other day. And we text a lot so we do trust each other.
Might get alot of backlash but it seems like a lot of hassle I met people online who I had chemistry with but when I met in person I felt no spark.
Also the distance is a massive problem and telling your parents they won't be happy either.
Real life is quite different to meeting people online. I would say you're in for a shock if you are discussing your future when you haven't met face to face. People can pretend to behave in a certain way behind the screen, you won't find out what they're really like until meet them personally. Just don't build a false image of him OP, discover the real him first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending