The Student Room Group

Getting into civil engineering

Hi, I am a young lad who's currently half way through year 12. I am studying physics, biology, chemistry and design & technology. At the beginning of sixth from I had a strong intention of going into Diagnostic Radiography (basically x-rays, ultrasound, mri, ct scans, etc). At first I thought this was a good career path as uni was close and requirments were not high either (BBC inc biology). But now I don't want to do it. As this is going to be a life long career and taking some picture will get a boring, and as the department is small I also would have no people to work with much. Coming to the real problem right now!!!! I have learnt that I would like to take a career path that's more interesting like civil engineering. I find civil engineering very interesting and am excited about it. My problem is that I haven't chose maths (A level) !!! which is a big mistake although my parent did try to force me to take the subject I did not want to. This is because the seconday school I came from (Hartsdown academy) has a special course for a group of 30 intelligent students. This course allowed me to finish GCSE's one year early (year 10). Which left me in year 11 a decision to chose two as level courses. I chose maths and applied science. I did not enjoy maths there was too much hw and I didn't understand some stuff. I also struggled because the class that I was put into was a group of yr 13 retakes rather than a year 12 group. The year 13's excelled through and I got left behind. By the way at this time I was still doing some extra/normal GCSE's (maths higher, triple science, maths statistic foundation and citenship). I was also doing applied as science which is a lot of coursework. As I was currently still doing gcse maths I didn't know somethings that were essential in AS maths. I therefore could not keep up and dropped it. I used the time slots of AS maths to keep up with applied science coursework. At the end of the year 11 I had 14 GCSE's and 1 AS level qualification (AAAA in maths, single science, triple science and citizenship/BBBB in ICT, English, dt and double science/ CCCCCC). and a C in applied science AS.
But now I want to become a civil engineer. Basically I'm really screwed with my choices and I need help to whether its possible to get into civil engineering without Maths (I still have physics, biology, chemistry and dt) . Please help I need advice for my future career.
Reply 1
Original post by HasanJamal10

But now I want to become a civil engineer. Basically I'm really screwed with my choices and I need help to whether its possible to get into civil engineering without Maths (I still have physics, biology, chemistry and dt) . Please help I need advice for my future career.

I'm not entirely clear on your predicted A-Levels and grades, but you might be best to do an Engineering Foundation Year and then proceed to Civil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks. I did not know about engineering foundation year. I will research further into this. Thanks a lot mate, really helped me calm myself down.
Why not do something more related to diagnostic radiography? I'd advise looking into nursing although from the sounds of it you don't have much of an idea about what being a diagnostic radiographer actually involves let alone being a nurse. Have you done any work experience for it?
Original post by Helloworld_95
Why not do something more related to diagnostic radiography? I'd advise looking into nursing although from the sounds of it you don't have much of an idea about what being a diagnostic radiographer actually involves let alone being a nurse. Have you done any work experience for it?

Hi thanks for the reply really appreciate some advice. And yes I have done work experience at QEQM in Margate Kent. I looked at all departments of radiography and talked to a lot of members. And I have to be honest I did not seem very excited by the job. It was although very relaxed and calm I did not enjoy it. The job seemed very boring and repetitive there was no challenge in the job. I would like to pursue a career which challenges me everyday. And yes I have considered nursing and done some work experience but it seemed underpaid for the hours some of the member said they had to work. Once again thanks for your time really appreciate people trying to help me out.
Hi thanks for the reply really appreciate some advice. And yes I have done work experience at QEQM in Margate Kent. I looked at all departments of radiography and talked to a lot of members. And I have to be honest I did not seem very excited by the job. It was although very relaxed and calm I did not enjoy it. The job seemed very boring and repetitive there was no challenge in the job. I would like to pursue a career which challenges me everyday. And yes I have considered nursing and done some work experience but it seemed underpaid for the hours some of the member said they had to work. Once again thanks for your time really appreciate people trying to help me out.

If you have the kind of academic drive that engineers have then the situation is a bit different as a nurse. There's a lot of room for ambition in nursing so if you make use of it you can be making near doctor level salaries for similar amounts of work, e.g. starting pay for Nurses on PhD courses is 42k+ and managers earn 55k+, although you do have to put in the hours at the beginning.
If you have the kind of academic drive that engineers have then the situation is a bit different as a nurse. There's a lot of room for ambition in nursing so if you make use of it you can be making near doctor level salaries for similar amounts of work, e.g. starting pay for Nurses on PhD courses is 42k+ and managers earn 55k+, although you do have to put in the hours at the beginning.

Hi thanks for this information I will now give nursing another look. I do appreciate you for helping me out. But I am really interested in engineering and I am not so keen in going into the health care profession anymore. Any advice whether its possible to get into a university for civil engineering without maths. I plan to carry fourth the following subject in A level Biology, Chemistry and Physic. For AS I am expected a BBCA biology, chemistry, physics and design & technology. Once again thanks.
Hi thanks for this information I will now give nursing another look. I do appreciate you for helping me out. But I am really interested in engineering and I am not so keen in going into the health care profession anymore. Any advice whether its possible to get into a university for civil engineering without maths. I plan to carry fourth the following subject in A level Biology, Chemistry and Physic. For AS I am expected a BBCA biology, chemistry, physics and design & technology. Once again thanks.

In that case your best bet is a foundation year or trying to do maths in 1 year.
In that case your best bet is a foundation year or trying to do maths in 1 year.

On the topic of maths do you think its possible for me to do maths AS next year in year 13 and still be accepted without the engineering foundation year??? Obviously I would not complete the full A in maths. I don't think I could handle further maths. Thanks
Reply 9
On the topic of maths do you think its possible for me to do maths AS next year in year 13 and still be accepted without the engineering foundation year??? Obviously I would not complete the full A in maths. I don't think I could handle further maths. Thanks

No. You really need to have reasonable maths (and ideally physics) to cope with the degree. A foundation will probably be your best route.

No you'd need the full A level. Honestly if you're struggling with the maths now I'm not sure how you'll cope with the maths in an engineering degree.
Original post by jneill
No. You really need to have reasonable maths (and ideally physics) to cope with the degree. A foundation will probably be your best route.

ok thanks I think ill give the foundation year a shot. Thanks
Why Civil Engineering in particular? And considering you have done all 3 sciences, would you not consider applying for a pure science or a natural sciences course? That could be an interesting option
Original post by jessedoell
Why Civil Engineering in particular? And considering you have done all 3 sciences, would you not consider applying for a pure science or a natural sciences course? That could be an interesting option

Thanks for your time but I think I'm not that smart. natural sciences require I believe AA*A* which is extremely hard to achieve once again thanks
Reply 14
Thanks for your time but I think I'm not that smart. natural sciences require I believe AA*A* which is extremely hard to achieve once again thanks

Depends on the university, and the top end unis have similar requirements for engineering. Don't underestimate how academically strong you need to be for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
If you were to do very well in both AS and A2 you could consider UCL civil engineering, which only requires A2 physics.
Reply 16
Original post by Summit
If you were to do very well in both AS and A2 you could consider UCL civil engineering, which only requires A2 physics.

In fact UCL is unusual in saying "A*AA-AAA at A-level, no specific subjects" for CivEng.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-civil-beng/

But OP's BBCA prediction won't be sufficient.

Oh, and UCL even have a video:
[video="youtube;XnFUyqAu3vg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFUyqAu3vg[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
In fact UCL is unusual in saying "A*AA-AAA at A-level, no specific subjects" for CivEng.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-civil-beng/

[video="youtube;XnFUyqAu3vg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFUyqAu3vg[/video]

That's an interesting, and refreshing, take on things, and I think the first sentence sums it up perfectly.
Original post by jneill

Thanks man for the help mate. That's really keeping my hopes up. I also talked to my careers advisor and he said that competition for engineering is hard but if your A2 physics grade is high I.e A then I stand a good chance as most engineering unis require a good grade in physics thanks.
Reply 19
Original post by jneill

Yes I am aware, but, IF, OP does better than what he is predicted, UCL could be an option.

Original post by Smack
That's an interesting, and refreshing, take on things, and I think the first sentence sums it up perfectly.

Agreed. I think more universities should begin to take this well rounded approach.

Quick Reply

Latest