The Student Room Group

3' and 5'????

I don't understand what this 3' and 5' is about. I know they go on the end of the strand of DNA but I'm completely lost with what they mean/do.

I tried googling but didn't understand the results. :colondollar:

Can anyone explain in VERY simple English please?
Reply 1
Original post by Sabertooth
I don't understand what this 3' and 5' is about. I know they go on the end of the strand of DNA but I'm completely lost with what they mean/do.

They don't really do anything :smile:

They are basically just the ends of the strand like you said.

In DNA replication (where more DNA is made) a primer (short sequence of dna) is attached onto the 3' end.

I can't see you needing to know anymore? I am a scotiish student btw so maybe we learn it differently and need to know different things?
Reply 2
Original post by Jeff548
They don't really do anything :smile:

They are basically just the ends of the strand like you said.

In DNA replication (where more DNA is made) a primer (short sequence of dna) is attached onto the 3' end.

I can't see you needing to know anymore? I am a scotiish student btw so maybe we learn it differently and need to know different things?

Ok.....so at the end of the strand do they go across the connectors or just on one side? Like are they there on the ends of unraveling DNA? And why 3 and 5? It sounds to me like they just picked those numbers out of thin air.

I'm a first year student in the US. :smile:
Reply 3
Ok.....so at the end of the strand do they go across the connectors or just on one side? Like are they there on the ends of unraveling DNA? And why 3 and 5? It sounds to me like they just picked those numbers out of thin air.

I'm a first year student in the US. :smile:

On the ends

You can google diagrams that basically look like a pentagon and you will see that its 3 and 5 because of the way dna replication works. You shouldn't need to know that though so its fine thinking of it as random numbers :smile:

When I was studying AS biology, this video helped me understood the 3' and 5' ends of DNA.:smile:
[video="youtube;L156Sbjs7zU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L156Sbjs7zU[/video]
Reply 5
Original post by FluffyCherry
When I was studying AS biology, this video helped me understood the 3' and 5' ends of DNA.:smile:
[video="youtube;L156Sbjs7zU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L156Sbjs7zU[/video]

That was a really helpful video. I see why it's 3 and 5 now.

Thank you!
That was a really helpful video. I see why it's 3 and 5 now.

Thank you!

You're welcome!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending