The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn confirms he has no savings

Questions were raised around Corbyn's tax return as he declared no interest from savings. His spokesman has now come back and confirmed (or at least claimed) he has no savings.

How on earth is that ****ing possible? He lives in the tiniest little dive, he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he obviously doesn't spend it on fine clothes. Where does it all go?

I guess lentils must be expensive these days. Unfortunately the image of the spendthrift Labour leader who puts nothing aside is precisely what the party doesn't need at the moment. He's such a wet leftie stereotype; he's had an MP's salary for decades and he spunked every penny
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Charity? No need to hoard money that you don't need, if others are in greater need of it.
Reply 2
Why does this bother you?
Are you a tax inspector?
Reply 3
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Questions were raised around Corbyn's tax return as he declared no interest from savings. His spokesman has now come back and confirmed (or at least claimed) he has no savings.

How on earth is that ****ing possible? He lives in the tiniest little dive, he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he obviously doesn't spend it on fine clothes. Where does it all go?

I guess lentils must be expensive these days. Unfortunately the image of the spendthrift Labour leader who puts nothing aside is precisely what the party doesn't need at the moment

Original post by MattThomas
Charity? No need to hoard money that you don't need, if others are in greater need of it.

He is lying. Even I have a tiny amount in a savings account. Offshore fund anyone?
Original post by MattThomas

Do you have any evidence for this claim? In fact, it would seem to run contrary to his monomaniacal obsession with earning extra money outside parliament, from doing surveys for YouGov for 70 quid and earning 150 an hour doing lectures (not to mention the money he earned broadcasting propaganda for the Iranian government)
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
Are you a tax inspector?

Do you read the news or...
Original post by IAmNero
He is lying. Even I have a tiny amount in a savings account. Offshore fund anyone?

Agreed. Even if he just has his salary payments into his account he'd be earning a little bit of interest. I don't think there's an offshore fund, basically he was extremely slapdash with his tax return (didn't even bother to answer numerous questions on it) and now his spokesman is trying to cover it up to show why he didn't declare any interest earnings by pretending he literally has nothing in his bank account
Original post by M14B
Are you a tax inspector?

Could the PM say the same thing?
Reply 8
Agreed. Even if he just has his salary payments into his account he'd be earning a little bit of interest. I don't think there's an offshore fund, basically he was extremely slapdash with his tax return (didn't even bother to answer numerous questions on it) and now his spokesman is trying to cover it up to show why he didn't declare any interest earnings by pretending he literally has nothing in his bank account

Considering he earns about £120,000 a year, to say he spends every single penny is complete tosh, he must keep some of it. On top of that, he even has a taxpayer funded car.

I serioulsy doubt it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10

The PM clearly lives by his slogan.
(we are all in this together)
Original post by IAmNero
Considering he earns about £120,000 a year, to say he spends every single penny is complete tosh, he must keep some of it. On top of that, he even has a taxpayer funded car.

I think it's more like 70k, but in any case he's been earning that for the last 33 years. To claim he has literally not a single brass farthing is ludicrous.

It's either very fishy or very incompetent... either way, very Corbyn
Original post by M14B
The PM clearly lives by his slogan.
(we are all in this together)

I think you're slightly muddled about the meaning of my comment.

You asked why I'm interested in this and whether I'm a tax inspector. I pointed out such a comment could be made to all the shrieking Corbynista who demand the PM reveal his tax return.

Either it is right for both to reveal their tax affairs, or neither
Reply 13
I think it's more like 70k, but in any case he's been earning that for the last 33 years. To claim he has literally not a single brass farthing is ludicrous.

It's either very fishy or very incompetent... either way, very Corbyn

Well as of December 2015 he took an 85% pay rise which is where my £120k figure came from. But either way, very corbyn
Original post by IAmNero
Well as of December 2015 he took an 85% pay rise which is where my £120k figure came from. But either way, very corbyn

Ah good point, I didn't think about his payrise as oppo leader.
he gives it all to starving urchins
He is a painfully boring creature. What's even more tedious is how brilliant some people think it is that he is so eye-wateringly dull. Corbyn represent the most puritanical section of the left.
Seems unlikely. But with no evidence to negate his claim, can we really discount it?

One obvious answer is that he has indulged himself in some tax avoidance measures by gifting all his spare cash to his wife, who invests it and declares the subsequent income on her tax return.

Alternatively, it could be invested largely in pension funds (which are not declared on tax returns), or in property owned by him but lived in by, say, children and not generating him an income, or in other ways that generate no income, such as gold.

His collection of manhole covers could also be valuable but not generate any income, of course.

Prostitutes? :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending