The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Original post by Aky786UK
That KP story was doing the rounds a month or so ago. Wouldn't put it past him but surely not, then to take on England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's happened a few times before.

Decent article on it here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/996451.html
They can have him. Good riddance.
Reply 1022
^Amen.
A century for Cook today- all bodes well I hope.
Original post by atom y humber
They can have him. Good riddance.

I hope they turn him down. His reasons for choosing England were in part a criticism of South African cricket if I recall correctly.
Reply 1025
Topley has broken a bone in his right hand while batting during his Hampshire debut. Poor guy.
Reply 1026
James Taylor has retired because of a serious heart condition. What a shame. No more Nottingham or England for him. Apparently, he has the same heart condition as Muamba had, so it's obviously better safe than sorry on occasions like this. He's such a talent, though. I can't imagine what he's thinking.

He tweeted: “Safe to say this has been the toughest week of my life! My world is upside down. But I’m here to stay and I’m battling on!”

He requires an operation, which will take place in the coming days.
Original post by Mackay
James Taylor has retired because of a serious heart condition. What a shame. No more Nottingham or England for him. Apparently, he has the same heart condition as Muamba had, so it's obviously better safe than sorry on occasions like this. He's such a talent, though. I can't imagine what he's thinking.

He tweeted: “Safe to say this has been the toughest week of my life! My world is upside down. But I’m here to stay and I’m battling on!”

^ Very talented player, must be devastated. Definately had a long England career ahead of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1028
Original post by Enginerd.
^ Very talented player, must be devastated. Definately had a long England career ahead of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always felt he should have been in the T20 XI, let alone squad, for the World Twenty20. I guess the only issue would be who would be omitted in his place.

He was pint-sized and titchy, but he had such talent with the bat in his hands. He and Root playing together made me feel incredibly excited.
Original post by Mackay
Always felt he should have been in the T20 XI, let alone squad, for the World Twenty20. I guess the only issue would be who would be omitted in his place.

He was pint-sized and titchy, but he had such talent with the bat in his hands. He and Root playing together made me feel incredibly excited.

Absolutely. The team, you would assume, would've been built around them, especially in Tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1030
Muamba to Taylor: “Having life is a great option. Retirement is inevitable but for some of us it’s just earlier than expected. Enjoy life.”

Taylor to Muamba: “Look forward to hopefully meeting you one day mate! #inspiration.”

Good analysis of what arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy is here: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/12/james-taylor-retirement-arrhythogenic-right-ventricular-cardiomyopathy
Original post by Mackay
Muamba to Taylor: “Having life is a great option. Retirement is inevitable but for some of us it’s just earlier than expected. Enjoy life.”

Taylor to Muamba: “Look forward to hopefully meeting you one day mate! #inspiration.”

Good analysis of what arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy is here: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/12/james-taylor-retirement-arrhythogenic-right-ventricular-cardiomyopathy

Bizarrely I know what that is. Some of my patients have it... they're dogs :lol:

Sad for Taylor, great player had a big future. Glad for him to find it though, better to know now rather than face what Muamba did!
Reply 1032
Absolutely. The team, you would assume, would've been built around them, especially in Tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Angry cucumber
Bizarrely I know what that is. Some of my patients have it... they're dogs :lol:

Sad for Taylor, great player had a big future. Glad for him to find it though, better to know now rather than face what Muamba did!

I'll never forget those catches in the SA series just before Christmas. I'll miss him at silly mid-on and silly mid-off. Such a safe pair of hands.
Original post by Mackay
I'll never forget those catches in the SA series just before Christmas. I'll miss him at silly mid-on and silly mid-off. Such a safe pair of hands.

Considering catching at 80+mph from <5 metres, takes skill, let alone taking them. Unreal talent. A damn shame
Reply 1034
Original post by Angry cucumber
Considering catching at 80+mph from <5 metres, takes skill, let alone taking them. Unreal talent. A damn shame

I think his height really aided that. It's obviously tough for tall men to get down there, so you see a lot of diminutive silly mid-ons and offs.

Where Taylor differed from many was his low starting point, and he boasts a low centre of gravity, allowing him to fling with those cat-like reflexes and hold the ball safely.

A truly talented fielder and batsman. A real shame we never saw him build on those seven Test innings.
I also think that seeing players like him in international cricket are real examples of working hard and the chances will come, and that at his size he is also someone to look up to (pardon the unintended pun) for smaller players like myself. He will certainly be missed in cricket.
Sad news for him, only 26. You hope he'll get the support he needs from the authorities to make sure once he's recovered, he's able to begin a process to know what he can do next. He seems an intelligent bloke from his interviews so I'm sure he'll be involved in the game in some capacity. In a way, it's nice his career ended having had some good international moments such as his Test debut v South Africa (despite what we know now, that is KP sticking his beak into where it wasn't needed), as noted above, those reflex catches.
Reply 1037
A lot has been made of Taylor's height today, and while it's obvious he's small, it's probably worth remembering he's taller than Sachin Tendulkar.

Elsewhere today, great news for Ian Bell. 130 not out from him, helping Warwickshire to 283-6 after Hampshire were bowled out for 202 on day one.
Original post by Mackay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mackay

A sad day, with the silver lining that the condition has been found in time.
Original post by Mackay
A lot has been made of Taylor's height today, and while it's obvious he's small, it's probably worth remembering he's taller than Sachin Tendulkar.

Elsewhere today, great news for Ian Bell. 130 not out from him, helping Warwickshire to 283-6 after Hampshire were bowled out for 202 on day one.

I cannot imagine Ian Bell coming back to tests, though if he could help Warwickshire to a trophy he could be a happy man.

Quick Reply

Latest