The Student Room Group

Have you used modafinil or other study drugs?

Poll

Have you ever used study drugs?

Hiya,

Obviously we don't encourage the use of study drugs and don't want discussion about it really on TSR as we know there are natural ways to improve performance, like good sleep, eating well and a solid study plan. You can read our article on how to improve exam performance here

However, with the exam period happening and the issue of study drugs such as Modafinil, Ritalin and Noopept increasing all the time, we thought it would be good to have a sensible discussion about them. This means you can discuss whether or not you have used them or if you know anyone who has taken them, what your experience was and any side effects you had.

We do ask people not to encourage their use or advise people on how to get hold of them.

So, have you ever used study drugs? Do you know anyone who takes them?

Jack
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, I haven't.

But I do have problems with focus which the above do nothing to fix.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
No, I haven't.

But I do have problems with focus which the above do nothing to fix.

Yeah. I would never recommend taking them. But this newspaper is interested in people who have.
Original post by Captain Jack
Yeah. I would never recommend taking them. But this newspaper is interested in people who have.

How would you feel if poor focus became a wide-spread problem which required medication? And such drugs were prescribed not just for lack of wakefulness.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am glad you asked
I take ritalin (prescribed)
Reply 6
Original post by Noodlzzz

Is it for ADHD? Also do you drink alcohol or are you able to drink alcohol while on ritalin? I have a lot more questions tbh.

Without giving away anything too personal, how did you come by that prescription?
Reply 8
Hiya,

Obviously we don't encourage the use of study drugs and don't want discussion about it really on TSR as we know there are natural ways to improve performance, like good sleep, eating well and a solid study plan.

However, we have been contacted by a journalist wishing to speak to a student who has experiences considering the modafinil's use to better inform other students. If you fit that bill, please contact me privately on jack.wallington @thestudentroom.com

Ta very much!

Jack

I tried it and it kinda works, kinda doesn't. Would you like me to email you?
How would you feel if poor focus became a problem which required medication? And such drugs were prescribed not just for lack of wakefulness.

I was prescribed modafinil to allow me to regain some functioning and it meant that I could do things like shower, cook, go food shopping and sometimes meet up with friends. I get angry that people use meds that some people need to function at a level that is still below what society expects when they can cope, they just want better grades. Especially since people judged me for needing it to cope but others are praised for using modafinil to get better grades or earn more money.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I was prescribed modafinil to allow me to regain some functioning and it meant that I could do things like shower, cook, go food shopping and sometimes meet up with friends. I get angry that people use meds that some people need to function at a level that is still below what society expects when they can cope, they just want better grades. Especially since people judged me for needing it to cope but others are praised for using modafinil to get better grades or earn more money.

If I take modafinil to get better grades, how on earth does that bother you? Your anger should be addressed to third parties, the people judging, not people taking the drug "needlessly".

Original post by IAmNero
I tried it and it kinda works, kinda doesn't. Would you like me to email you?

Yeah, we're looking for real experiences - I think especially along the lines of it not working / negative experiences.
Reply 12
I went to the doctor and asked for it but he gave me sleeping pills instead... plz :colonhash: :hand:
He said if it didnt work he'd try something else might try modafinil
Imma get back to him end of this week and tell him it did nothing and hopefully he will or imma get that shiet off eBay :lol:

and prob die :indiff: ... heard everyone gets As if someone dies during an exam so gotta take one for the team :lol:
Yeah, we're looking for real experiences - I think especially along the lines of it not working / negative experiences.

So the journalist wants to give a biased view of it? Where do they work, the Daily Mail?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
So the journalist wants to give a biased view of it? Where do they work, the Daily Mail?

They want an honest view of it.
How would you feel if poor focus became a wide-spread problem which required medication? And such drugs were prescribed not just for lack of wakefulness.

I would want to solve the cause of the problem, not try and cover it up - but such things aren't my responsibility. I can only have an opinion on it :smile:
Hiya,

Obviously we don't encourage the use of study drugs and don't want discussion about it really on TSR as we know there are natural ways to improve performance, like good sleep, eating well and a solid study plan.

However, we have been contacted by a journalist wishing to speak to a student who has experiences considering the modafinil's use to better inform other students. If you fit that bill, please contact me privately on jack.wallington @thestudentroom.com

Ta very much!

Jack

I've used it twice and it had no effect on me. I ended up taking a nap a few hours later.. (It definitely was modafinil) Some of my friends swear it by it in times of heavy workload.

I can understand the position on not wanting to encourage it, but to not want discussion? Is it any worse than taking caffeine pills?
I don't condone or promote drugs too anyone in this forum but If you want to stay up and get your work done adderall will do the trick. You just gotta know where you can get ya hands on some.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks everyone, if anyone would be happy chatting to a journalist at a newspaper about your experience to inform their report, please do email me jack.wallington @ thestudentroom.com

Thanks!
Jack
Reply 19
They want an honest view of it.

They do work, like a miracle. Ritalin is the only reason I passed my exams despite extremely severe depression/anxiety issues.

Latest