The Student Room Group

Differentiation

Why is it that I can differentiate a function twice to determine whether I have a maximum or minimum?
Reply 1
Original post by NinCheng
Why is it that I can differentiate a function twice to determine whether I have a maximum or minimum?

Cuz the book says so?
Reply 2
Original post by M14B
Cuz the book says so?

You're not funny :smile:
Reply 3
You're not funny :smile:

Do you have to dent my confidence?
:tongue:
Reply 4

Technical reason: because it gives information on concavity.

Here's a picture that sums it up:

But basically, if the second derivative is negative, that means your gradient is just going to get shallower and shallower since the gradient is then a decreasing function, so the function will decrease since the gradient is getting shallower hence that point is a maximum.

If the second derivative is positive, that means your gradient is getting steeper and steeper and hence the function will only grow from there, hence it's a minimum.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Technical reason: because it gives information on concavity.

Here's a picture that sums it up:

But basically, if the second derivative is negative, that means your gradient is just going to get shallower and shallower since the gradient is then a decreasing function, so the function will decrease since the gradient is getting shallower hence that point is a maximum.

If the second derivative is positive, that means your gradient is getting steeper and steeper and hence the function will only grow from there, hence it's a minimum.

Cheers, slightly understand. Need to do a bit of research on that word 'Concavity'

What is this KA video called?
Reply 6
Cheers, slightly understand. Need to do a bit of research on that word 'Concavity'

What is this KA video called?

Here you go.

Quick Reply

Latest