The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by z33
yeah maybe to the pms one sec :lol:

i forgot to mention the main reason why i took it (ADD)
now i wouldnt advise you to take them if you dont have serious concentration issues. i feel bad now. :s-smilie:dont wanna give the wrong impression, you shouldn't have to rely on drugs. just do some research on how to naturally increase your potential :smile:
Original post by DiddyDec
I have used them, not for studying though. For gaming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you can only get them legally through the doctor I may be wrong tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't that essentially the label for pretty much all prescription drugs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, for good reason! This is partly why prescription drugs are prescription drugs - they carry risks which need to managed by a doctor.

However the side effects for modafinil are particularly serious - google TEN syndrome.
Original post by Jeff548
Yo guys. I am a Muslim should mention and as far as I am aware I am not allowed drugs:

But my question is are these study drugs illegal or legal? And do they seriously help and are there side effects/downsides

Seems like a great way to get some brain gains

They are legal if prescribed by a doctor. Obtaining them without a prescription is illegal :yy:
Original post by ivy.98
i forgot to mention the main reason why i took it (ADD)
now i wouldnt advise you to take them if you dont have serious concentration issues. i feel bad now. :s-smilie:dont wanna give the wrong impression, you shouldn't have to rely on drugs. just do some research on how to naturally increase your potential :smile:

You and others should know that Modafinil is no longer licensed for the treatment of ADD because of the side effects :yy:
Thought they could be like steroids legally to own but illegal to trade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yes, for good reason! This is partly why prescription drugs are prescription drugs - they carry risks which need to managed by a doctor.

However the side effects for modafinil are particularly serious - google TEN syndrome.

It is funny how some illegal drugs are actually safer than prescription drugs.

What a crazy world we live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeff548
Yo guys. I am a Muslim should mention and as far as I am aware I am not allowed drugs:

But my question is are these study drugs illegal or legal? And do they seriously help and are there side effects/downsides

Seems like a great way to get some brain gains

Interesting. Not allowed drugs yet shows keen interest in them. Also the term "drugs" can mean anything from paracetamol to morphine. It's not illegal to purchase modafinil without prescription but it is illegal to sell them, if I'm not mistaken, so most "illegal" sources are not from the UK. I don't take them because I know I'd easily become very dependent on them (though they aren't addictive) and there hasn't been that many long-term studies of modafinil's effects though it's supposedly safe in the short-run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is funny how some illegal drugs are actually safer than prescription drugs.

What a crazy world we live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Drugs licensed for medical use have a medical benefit that outweighs the risks - otherwise they wouldn't be licensed.

Pharmaceutical companies need to show that their drugs a) have a therapeutic benefit that outweighs the risks (better than other drugs already on the market I believe) and b) work better than placebo in order for their medicine to be licensed.

E.g., chemotherapy has some very horrible side effects but it's worth the risk if you have been diagnosed with cancer, which is why it's available for treatment.
Reply 50
They are legal if prescribed by a doctor. Obtaining them without a prescription is illegal :yy:

Totally wrong. They're illegal to sell. Possession, importation, etc is entirely legal. They're POM not CDs. (Assuming we're talking about modafinil, rather than ritalin/adderall)
Reply 51

It definitely is illegal to buy prescription drugs within the UK without a prescription, but this law currently does not apply to international websites as long as you're buying for personal use.

This is why many people choose to purchase Modafinil from international countries, as many of them offer shipping to the UK.
I haven't taken such things… I know some people who used to and they have simply said that it was a terrible idea and caused havoc for them in the long run :erm:

also

Spoiler

Original post by BWV1007
Is it for ADHD? Also do you drink alcohol or are you able to drink alcohol while on ritalin? I have a lot more questions tbh.

Yes for ADHD and I don't drink whilst taking it as I use it to study not party.
Original post by JoeTSR
Totally wrong. They're illegal to sell. Possession, importation, etc is entirely legal. They're POM not CDs. (Assuming we're talking about modafinil, rather than ritalin/adderall)

Sorry, I was slightly incorrect:

"It is illegal to buy prescription-only drugs without a prescription or consultation in the UK, whether on or offline. This law currently does not apply to websites based abroad as long as you’re buying for personal use. The same rule applies if you were to bring them through airport customs here."

http://www.thesite.org/drink-and-drugs/drugs-and-the-law/buying-prescription-drugs-online-9592.html
Original post by skye.
It definitely is illegal to buy prescription drugs within the UK without a prescription, but this law currently does not apply to international websites as long as you're buying for personal use.

This is why many people choose to purchase Modafinil from international countries, as many of them offer shipping to the UK.

edit: see above post by Puddles

edit edit: grrrr

edit edit edit: :unimpressed: this shocks me tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Without giving away anything too personal, how did you come by that prescription?

Was diagnosed at 15 and at uni I brought it up with my doctor who agreed to try ritalin.
Reply 57
You and others should know that Modafinil is no longer licensed for the treatment of ADD because of the side effects :yy:

Yeah i was aware of that :smile: even though we were talking about Adrafinil which is legal and a milder version of Modafinil so possibly less harmful
Original post by skye.

Thanks for the clarification :woo:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yes for ADHD and I don't drink whilst taking it as I use it to study not party.

Do you get flushes (face/hands turning red) at all? Is there a way to tell if someone is on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest