The Student Room Group

Male waist size

Hey guys,

I've been wondering what is the average waist size of you lads? And how old you are? Are you happy with it?

I'm a 21 year old fella who's 5ft 10 inches tall and I've put a bit of weight on lately. A couple of stone, although I'm still well within my healthy BMI rating. I'm just surprised how much my waist size has increased. I was a 28'' not long ago but recently I've started buying a few pairs of 34'' waist jeans.

Do you reckon 34'' is starting to get a bit tubby? Should I try to lose the gut?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im 19

my waist size is 30"

28-32" is a good range imo, 34" is probably a hint that you're starting to get a bit fat in all honesty, but it depends on your build etc
Reply 2
19 years old
28''
(ethnically Chinese)
I'm 18 and my waist size is around 26 to 27 inches, but I've put on a bit of weight lately.
Reply 4
Original post by M14B
19 years old
28''
(ethnically Chinese)

I like how you added that :lol:

:tongue:
I range between a 28" and a 30".
I'll be honest in saying that I'd be unhappy with myself if I got to a 32"..

34" is definitely chubby for a guy, moving towards obese territory.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
19 and 30"

Original post by fr0sr_

I disagree, since waist size does not determine how fat you are. It depends on your build. A lot of my friends are 34" and are pretty skinny.
Original post by kkboyk
I disagree, since waist size does not determine how fat you are. It depends on your build. A lot of my friends are 34" and are pretty skinny.

I don't think anyone can be 34" and be "pretty skinny" really. I'd be willing to be proven otherwise though

From my own experiences, what I'd said is what I'd advise.
Maybe not the best person to ask though, problems with eating/weight and such. :biggrin:
Original post by Jahe
Hey guys,

I've been wondering what is the average waist size of you lads? And how old you are? Are you happy with it?

I'm a 21 year old fella who's 5ft 10 inches tall and I've put a bit of weight on lately. A couple of stone, although I'm still well within my healthy BMI rating. I'm just surprised how much my waist size has increased. I was a 28'' not long ago but recently I've started buying a few pairs of 34'' waist jeans.

Do you reckon 34'' is starting to get a bit tubby? Should I try to lose the gut?

30" waist, been like that even after I started going gym.
First-generation Irish.
I'm half mesomorph half endomorph.

BMI is a load of rubbish, it's a useless measurement.
6" in such a short time is most probably a bad sign, but it might depend on your physique - do this test:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
Original post by fr0sr_
I'm 19, and range between a 28" and a 30".
I'll be honest in saying that I'd be unhappy with myself if I got to a 32"..

Thanks for the reply. Although I only weigh 13 stone, hardly obese! Healthy weight!

It's interesting to hear that people think 34'' is fat as that's what I'd been dreading to hear.
Original post by Jahe
Thanks for the reply. Although I only weigh 13 stone, hardly obese! Healthy weight!

It's interesting to hear that people think 34'' is fat as that's what I'd been dreading to hear.

13st? How tall are you out of curiousity?

All I'm saying is personally I would be dissatisfied with being that size, 32" would be a safer size imo

Please don't take my word as gospel though, take it with a pinch of salt.
This is all coming from someone who was 9st at 5'9, and yet wanted to lose more, which would reduce me to being underweight.. - lmao :biggrin:
Depends on your body fat I have a 32 inch waist but it looks smaller as I have 10 % body fat and lift weights so it is muscular and looks smaller my mate has a smaller waist but it looks bigger as there is more fat also the size of your chest and shoulders also have a effect on how big or smaller your waist looks
I'm 6ft, 23 years old and 82kg. My waist size is 32 but I fit 33 jeans. 34 is too big.
Reply 13
Original post by Jahe

83kg at 5'10 is pretty heavy ngl, i have 6' very athletic friends that weigh around that so you are probably heavier than you should be
Original post by Jahe
Hey guys,

17 and 34" when I buy jeans but that's vanity sizing. Im probably 36" but I'm not overweight or anything :cry2:
Reply 15
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
17 and 34" when I buy jeans but that's vanity sizing. Im probably 36" but I'm not overweight or anything :cry2:

how tall are you? you must be built af, i dont see how you can 36" but not built unless you are overweight :K:
Original post by AJ KO
how tall are you? you must be built af, i dont see how you can 36" but not built unless you are overweight :K:

About 5ft 10 and no Im just chubby, indian and I have big hips :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
About 5ft 10 and no Im just chubby, indian and I have big hips :smile:

why is being indian relevant? :lol:
2 years ago I was a 33 inch waist (I had to buy 34 inch trousers). Was 18.

Now 20, almost 21, and a 35 inch waist... To be comfortable I need 36's for trousers... ouch :frown:
Original post by AJ KO
why is being indian relevant? :lol:

Idk could be why I have a big waist

Latest